self study?

Options
haiddon
haiddon Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,

What are the rules on self study?

Would it be possible to obtain the curriculum and self teach then enrol myself for the exams?

Do you have to go through a college or organisation?

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    It would depend on whether your local exam centre will allow you to just sit the exams, without having enrolled with them, or done a course with them.
    Also, the money you pay for a course does get you resources & teaching.
    The curriculum is there as a guide for those people teaching AAT, & writing the materials.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

It is possible to do self study, buy the relevant text and study it. This is similar to what you would do if you did distance learning.

As for the exams, the AAT include a list of exam centres that will take external (not their own) students for examinations with the exam entry forms. Again, this is what distance leanring students would do. For skills tests it used to be possible to buy the assessment from BPP and arrange for a suitable supervisor - again, similar to distance learning students. For the skills tests it may be best to purchase the distance learning pack for that unit ans this doesn't work out much more expensive than buying the text and assessment seperately and the admin is already in place.

Neil
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Just remember that sometimes aswell as paying for the exam, you will have to pay for an invigilator at the college or centre you are taking your exam at as sometimes noone else may be taking an exam. It is worth checking the AAT list and contact them direct so that you dont incur too many extra fees.

I say this as I know someone who was caught out and had to pay for an invigilator per hour.
  • haiddon
    haiddon Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!

I cant find any centres on this site that offer seperate exams.

Can any one help?
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

When the AAT send out exam entry forms they include a list of centres that will take external students. Give the AAT a call.
Privacy Policy