ACCA advice

warwick5763
warwick5763 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
I am just about to complete Technican stage. I have attended a local college for the AAT and my learning style has been to drift along and then get stuck in a few weeks before the exam, mainly because I dont work in finance at all and I forget things if I revise too far out so I am resonably fresh for an exam. My College does ACCA but only during the day so I wont be able to do this. I am pondering buying an ACCA book reading up and then sitting the exam as the BPP courses are very expensive and I noticed there is only about 4 sessions for F4. Has anyone out there tried to do it this way just by buying a text book and sitting the exam. Is it a huge step up compared to AAT. I am 50 and havent found the AAT course particularly hard once I made the effort to get stuck in. Any experiences and tales appreciated.

Comments

• NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

One thing I would pint out is that ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW etc is a big step up. BPP may only run 3 or 4 sessions per paper but you do cover quite a lot and in my experience doing CIMA I've found that doing tuition courses saves you alot of time as self study can be a slow process.

Neil
  • warwick5763
    warwick5763 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks for the response. Think I will buy an acca book and have a look.
  • sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    hey there,

i'm with you all the way !!!

i did my first year aat with ftc. i paid Β£500 and felt short-changed. it certainly doesn't represent value for money. i'm finishing my 3rd year this summer and all of my work has been done at home on my own.

i now only use texts and revision books... and a lot of study hours. probably many more hours than would be required was i to attend classes but i see it as better value for money. it also fits my style of learning.

so don't let anyone put you off ! do what makes you feel best !!!

i'm hot on your heels :001_smile:
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi, Just wondering how you do your assessments if you're not registered with a college?
  • sebastianforbes
    you will need to be registered with a learning provider for each of the simulations.

no-one is prepared to authenticate them otherwise :thumbdown:
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi, Yes I know that. So I'm asking how do you sit the assessments. You say that you aren't studying with a college. I don't know of any colleges or learning providers that would accept you just to sit assessments.
  • peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    wrong post!! Sorry.
  • sebastianforbes
    coojee,

with bpp you can register for individual units. i go to bpp reading and sit my simulations.

they have been fantastic !
Privacy Policy