Who is the better accountant?

Options
xxSaffronxx
xxSaffronxx Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
Hi

I have a scenario of 2 different accountants with different backgrounds and i wondered if anyone could tell me which one companies would go for to employ

1) AAT finalist with 5 years management accounts experience

2) CIMA Foundation studier with a degree and 1 years management accounts experience

Me & my friend seem to be constantly in competition with each other over who is the best / most knowledgeable / most employable accountant.

While personally I think that both of these people are equally as qualified and experienced & should be on a similar salary and job title

Thanks in advance for everyone's views!

Comments

• speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Yes, but you have to remember that CIMA's only have to get 50% to pass their exams. AAT actually have to be competent. AATs are far better. :lol::001_tt2:
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    I would probably look at what each candidate can do rather than basing my judgement on their qualifications on paper.

I know several firms which I visit. When I need to ask questions before I can help, very often those accountants who are less qualified on paper are more reliable with their answers than the ones with all the paper qualifications.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • phunkyphantom22
    phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I'm an AAT finalist with 5 years experience and a guy I know (friend of a friend who took over my old job) has passed the middle level of CIMA and will be moving on to the final level soon - he has 1 year experience in a credit control type role.

When I was training him to take over my job before I left, I had to explain accruals and prepayments and how to calculate them - he then had the cheek to say to my boyfriend when I introduced them that he was above me and more qualified?! I don't think so....... :-)
  • sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    this is always going to be a tough one for me.

this year i should complete my aat with absolutely zero experience in finance !

after that, i will go onto acca (hopefully complete it) and still have zero experience in finance !!!

one thing i do know... experience will not get me through the door and pay me a decent wage. on the other hand, what is theory worth if you don't have the experience of being able to use it correctly ?

as i can't have both, i'll take knowledge first, experience second. i reckon it's the easiest way to do it.
  • phunkyphantom22
    phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    They go hand in hand really - which is why you need to have the year's experience to become a full AAT member and 3 years relevant experience to become full CIMA/ACCA.

If you have one or the other, you'll probably find you can get through the door but will not get paid as much or be as senior as someone with more experience.
  • xxSaffronxx
    xxSaffronxx Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    When I was training him to take over my job before I left, I had to explain accruals and prepayments and how to calculate them - he then had the cheek to say to my boyfriend when I introduced them that he was above me and more qualified?! I don't think so....... :-)[/QUOTE]

Oh dear phantom - i completely agree with you there! That would of got my goat too! lol

Thanks guys i feel better about it now!
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Experience.

Just because you talk the talk doesn't mean you can walk the walk.
  • SueChibeba
    SueChibeba Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    In Response To sebastians email

Hello,

You said you were hoping to finish your AAT this year with no experience in finance, correct me if i'm wrong but to gain the full qualification in AAT you need to have experience.

Thanks

Sue
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    sebastian can finish AAT without the experience, but he will not be able to gain full membership and hence use the initials MAAT until he has 2 years experience - so you are half right :001_smile:
  • fruitcake
    fruitcake Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    hopefully not or i too have wasted almost the last 3 years at college . . . also qualified

but with no practical experience. . . the trouble i'm having now is that when i apply

for 'lower ranking' accounting positions i get told i am over qualified. . . come on gives us

a break !

:001_rolleyes:
  • djDougs
    djDougs Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    thats easy, no1.

this is because it does not matter how many exams, names, bla bla bla
    you have, ITS the experience that counts.

when i came to this job, i was ready to walk out the door :lol:
    ie, at courses, heres a bank rec, its got 1 page, heres the 8 cheques and lodgements :thumbdown:

in real life, heres 400 pages of banks, no cheque stubs, and a Tesco bag of invoices :lol:
  • Manu
    Manu Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Well, I would love to know... I had just taken my final exams as my boss left... (which I now know I have past!!!) and his replacement is someone who is ACCA part qualified and has no experience in the type of role he is doing...

I am now going to apply for ACCA exemptions... but I was not considered at the time for the job because I did not have the paper qualifications...

Now I am stuck in a lower position having a lot of extra work and teaching my boss the job!!!! ????? How annoying is that?

My answer is AAT qualified with 5 years experience is worth more... also because you get exemptions from some CIMA exams, therefore you are technically CIMA part qualified. Experience teach you more than books!

Good luck with your debate anyway.
    Manu
Privacy Policy