AAT funding

GaryCave
GaryCave Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
Hi

I started the AAT in 2006 at foundation level and was studying full-time at college. I began to study at intermediate level in September last year when I found a suitable full-time entry level job as an accounts assistant for a solicitors firm. My intentions were to continue my studies part-time at college in the evenings. However, a change in my contractual hours has made it impossible to study at college and so I have had to resort to studying at home. I have found a website that offers such a course, but it costs almost £700. There seems to be no option to spread the cost with this.

Is anyone aware of any student loans or other financial supoport I may be entitled to as I am not in the financial positition to afford this amount of money in one lump sum?

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Comments

• peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    There used to be the modern apprenticeship scheme where if you were under 25 you could obtain funding for courses such as AAT. I'm not certain if these are still offered but it's just a thought.

Good luck anyway.

Steve
  • sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    hi there gary,

if you check up on all of my posts, you will see that i am using the cheapest option available ! it will take extra work and determination but obviously you already know that it's worth it !

just pm me if you want anymore info.
  • Cudey
    Cudey Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    As someone stated there is an apprenticeship scheme, however I think this may be if you didn't carry on education after 16. I am currently trying to get this set up. Not sure if you have to do this through a college though, I know Kaplan supports this scheme for evening college, however depends on your areas. Kaplan also does weekend courses if this is of interest to you.

Basically you need to be between the ages of 16-25 (21 in some areas), be working in an accounts environment, and not be getting any funding or grants already from the government.

Hope this helps mate, and good luck.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Have you tried contacting the provider directly?

If you don't ask you don't know. They may be able to sort out a scheme were you pay over a few months rather than a lump sum?

Apprenticeships tend to be aimed at people who have taken no further education and what work based skills. Maybe pop into your local job centre, they would be better able to advise you as they advertise for improving skills etc.
  • GaryCave
    Okay, thanks for your help everyone there are definitely some ideas worth looking in to.
  • coocoocadgoo
    coocoocadgoo Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi,
    A couple of years ago I started AAT with Premier Training, and they let me spread the cost of the course over four months I think. So it's definitely worth phoning and asking!
  • GaryCave
    Thanks. As it happens I have been looking into this exact same course. And you're right, they do let you spread the cost over 4 months. Can I ask, how is this going for you? Have you encountered any problems with Premier Training at all?

Gary
  • coocoocadgoo
    coocoocadgoo Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Gary,

Premier Training are okay - not great. They are very slow at getting assignments back to you with marks. However, it is very easy to get in contact with your tutor if you need to - I've no experience of using the tutors AAT knowledge though! Just admin bits really. And it really is a cheap option. If you're in a hurry, perhaps they just need ot be chased a lot! I have read on here that a lot of people are experiencing this same slowness from them. They used the Osbourne books for my course, which are ever so good for self-study.
    Oh, and they also don't chase you! You really have to be self-disciplined in order to get the work done, otherwise they'll let you take as long as you like! That's no bad thing really...
Privacy Policy