roles

Marie
Marie Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
Hi,

Seeking some advice.

1)Will it look bad to potential employers that I'm looking to move on after only 8 months?
2)Will it be difficult to getback into a smaller firm & all round role from currently doing purchase ledger?
3) I have some savings so i'm considering just giving my notice in & taking time to find the 'right' role. If you were recruiting what would you think of a candidate who left a position without another. My reasons for considering just leaving are because I'm really, really bored of purchase ledger & don't feel challenged in any way & my manager my have an idea I'm looking & therefore are requesting I give a weeks notice for half a day off. The last two weeks I have had to turn down three interviews.

Thanks

Marie

Comments

• Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    HI Marie,

Take heart. I am a great believer that good always comes out of something bad.

Without knowing both sides of your argument it sounds as though your boss is a right so and so. If your working relationship has broken down to this extent then you might like to have a look at the BERR web site in particular the following link to see what your rights are regarding leave notine.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/employment/employment-legislation/employment-guidance/page28979.html

Section 7

"Employers and workers can agree how and when to give notice of when leave is to be taken.

In the absence of an agreement the notice period that a worker must give should be at least twice the period of the leave to be taken. An employer may refuse the worker permission to take leave requested within a period equivalent to the period of the leave. For example, if a worker wants to take a day’s leave, he or she would have to give their employer at least two days’ notice. If a worker has given the employer two days’ notice that they want to take one day’s leave, the employer can come back within one day to refuse the leave. This provides employers with flexibility where, for example, a number of other workers have also applied to take the same day off."

ACAS can be really helpful as well.

It is always a risk to come out of contracted employment but if you must then you must. If you are able to cope financialy then If I were to interview you for a position then I would not concider this a problem, providing it is not too long.

You could even look at temping. I am sure that with April and the summer approaching that work should be available. The added advantage of this would be that you could have a look around at other work places and you never know a full time position may be offered.

Whatever you decide, best of luck

Poodle
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Be careful if you leave before you find a new role. If I was recruiting someone in these circumstances, I would be concerned that there may be a nefarious reason for this.
    Try to remain on reasonable terms with your current employer, they will have to supply a reference. I know this can be difficult sometimes.

Would you consider being upfront with your employer, tell them you are unhappy, looking for a new position, need time off for interviews but would be happy to help them select/train your replacement once you have secured a new position for yourself. They cannot terminate your employment because you want to leave.

My boss once overheard me arranging a job interview on the phone, he called me in the office, and offered me a payrise to stay. Best thing that ever happened to me.

If your boss is difficult, try not to give him any reason to cause you further problems like timekeeping, attendance quality of work etc.

All will be well, good luck!
  • shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    I agree with Cullen.
    It's always a lot easier to get another job while you are still employment.
    A potential employer will always question why you are not in work.

Sharon
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I also agree with what Cullen has said.

Take the bull by the horns and make a point of speaking to your employer. They need the feedback, if you still decided on leaving then they will know to look for a differenct type of person or advertise the job differently.

Usually the first question is why are you leaving your current employment second is did you leave on good terms with colleagues (every interview I have had has asked that!)

If you say that you dont feel that your current role has the career advancement you had hoped BUT you have spoken to your employer and come to a mutual decision, that I would have thought would show that you are a concious worker
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Employment Law

Check the employment laws, bur I think that your employer can not stop you from attending interviews within your normal working hours, although they do not have to pay you for the time which you are working.
    You could also explain to your manager that you are looking for a new position, I'm sure that they have been in the same situation, and maybe try to arrange some flexible working on the days you have interviews, you could also explain to the companies that you are interviewing with your diffuculties at obtaining time off during the working day and see if they can accomodate you, if they want you I'm sure that somthing can be arranged.

Good luck in your hunting

Lessci
  • Pay Less_UK_Tax
    Pay Less_UK_Tax Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Bosses, the good, the bad and the ugly

Lessci,

I think that you have too rosy a view of life. while there are some really good bosses out there who will help you find another job (I took of the jobsearch block on one employee's pc because I knew he was looking and I was pleased to see him go), but there are others who have driven their employees to nervous breakdowns.

Marie,

Please get out your contract of employment and read it, carefully. Check what it says about notice periods for time off. If it is silent on this matter, then ring ACAS and check what they have to say, and if their advice is the same as BERR, quietly and politely, but assertively, tell your boss that he cannot change the terms of your contract without your agreement. This will have one of two effects. Either the boss will back down, or you will then be able to raise a grievance against him/her and they will have to deal with it in a manner that complies with the law or be in a position where they will get stuck for unfair dismissal, after you get that new job.

When employees have left me, they have usually not required a reference from me for the job they have gone to, but for the job after that. Maybe I'm just a suspicious old goat, but I always offer employment subject to a satisfactory probationary period and subject to satisfactory references, and I take up references with the immediately previous employer after the person has given notice.

Keep plugging away, you will get what you want in the end.

PLUKT
  • Marie
    Hi,

Thank you all for your replies.

There is nothing in my contract of employment concerning notice for a day/half day holiday.
    There is a company handbook knocking around somewhere, I've never seen it though. My colleague seems to think it mentioned two/three days notice for an holiday less than a week but isn't sure where her copy of the handbook.

i have been invited to two more interview but one could only do this Friday or monday during working hours & the other could do any day but only between 12 & 2 but were not prepared to wait until next Thursday.

Would it really look so bad leaving & saying which is the truth that it was difficult to attend interviews & therefore felt it best to be immediately available.
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    I have heard, and please do not quote me on this, that people have thrown sickies to be able to attend interviews for jobs that they really fancy:laugh:
  • Marie
    Life is not that simple.

If I were to be taking off roughly a day a fortnight then I would be called in for having poor attendance.

I have attended several interviews since January this year, most which have been supportive & allowed before or after work. I have not been successful in these, therefore it may take 10/20, even 30 more interviews before I get offered a position. I think if I was to be sick this amount of time, then they would be sending me for a medical.

Is it therefore worth leaving to allow me to be immediately available for interviews?
Privacy Policy