Credit Card Nightmare!

GILL
GILL Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
Received a call this morning from a VERY nice man checking if I really wanted to proceed with my 'order' for two 42" flat screen TV's at £1500 strangely enough delivered to a totally different address than mine!

CC company (and man that called me) were on the ball and that plus a further £3,000 worth of stuff has been stopped but I just cannot work out how anyone got my info.

I follow all the security procedures I can, don't have paper statements, shred all receipts as soon as charge has gone through, no one else knows my number etc etc and I rarely order on line and when I do its only well know sites and through Paypall if poss.

I know that hundreds of people gone through this but I feel like someones watching me! Daft I know but its a horrible feeling:crying:

Comments

• mfernott
    mfernott Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    It's a nasty situation but one that's becoming more common for a lot of people.

The best thing you can do would be to pay it and open a new account with another credit provider, providing the balance is manageable to pay of course, or you could always look at a balance transfer.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    This happened to my husband.

He is very stringent with his security and it was found that someone was buying very expensive computer parts. We werent notified until we checked the statement and realised that we didnt know what the company were, let aloned bought anything off them. We have police reports and allsorts to fill in. Luckily he got his money back and they were all very good over the situation.

He was told to immediatley close the account and he got new numbers issued.

Unfortunately, we are now living in a society where certain memebers have no conscince.

Speak to your bank they are in the best position to explain to you how to proceed.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Going off track here but up to last year, I used to deliver pizzas for a national fast food chain and we often took CNP - cardholder not present - transactions. When the pizza was delivered, we were told to ask for the cardholders card to be shown at the door to check the details against the slip attached to the order. Therefore, as drivers, we had easy access to all the information you'd require should you ever want to commit fraud. We had the cardholders name, full address including postcode, card details including number and expiry date plus a quick look at the back of the card would even give you their "secret" security number. Ultimately, if you ever order a fast food delivery using your credit card, you're leaving yourself very open to fraud and who would even think of this simple explanation when wondering how such a situation might have happened?

Credit card companies can introduce extra security measures until they're blue in the face but they can't compensate for the lack of security many companies have when taking on new employees.
  • richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Storage of the CVV 'security number' is not allowed under the card agreements. Most places that take cnp payments over the phone process them straight away online, so the info isnt stored.
    The problem is that all the security info is usually on the card, & there isnt really a secure cnp system available.

In this case, it sounds like a retailer has tried to process payments without full security info, eg they can use avs for large purchases, & should have checked that delivery & card address were the same.
  • peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    Unfortunately this sort of "card scam" is becoming more and more common. Last year I had my card cloned by a petrol station. Surprisingly, the police have caught the perpetrators and it has turned out to be gangs down in London with contacts overseas who are paid a sort of "commission" to drain the users bank accounts/credit card accounts and then forward the money onto them. They use very sophisticated equipment to do it - I personally would recommend the robbing bast**** get a job!!

When it happened to me, the transactions occurred in Canada but my bank were very much on the ball and contacted me as quickly as possible so it wasn't too much of a problem. I am now very reluctant to pay for transactions on my card, I never go to petrol stations that are privately owned and never pay for goods online unless it's from a reputable source.
  • richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    AFAIK, most of the card companies flag foreign purchases, a lot of them advise that you inform them beforehand that youre travelling overseas
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    This morning my credit card company text me asking me to contact them urgently.
    I called them back and they wanted to check a transaction on my card.
    It had been processed about 5 minutes earlier in an Indian Restaurant in London for £1 and they thought this was suspicious.
    It wasnt me or my hubby! (I think.... unless he bought a poppadum for breakfast)

So new cards are on their way. Third time this has happened to us.
    Dec 26th 2006
    Feb 14th 2007
    and Today.

But each time the company spotted the dubious transactions and called us.

Happy days....
  • jackie
    jackie Registered Posts: 81 Regular contributor ⭐
    I had a letter from M&S credit card yesterday asking me to ring them to check a transaction. The payments in question were to Royal Sun and Alliance insurance company.
    I told them that no, I had no dealings with this company. The guy on the phone said that the two transactions relate to pet insurance. After checking the two amounts it transpired that these two transactions were for M&S pet insurance for our two dogs:ohmy:
    He went on to explain that Royal Sun & Alliance had bought out M&S pet insurance........wouldn't you have thought that they would make the connection or should I be grateful they are watching out for me?:001_smile:

Jackie
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    I have had a credit card cloned a couple of years ago, but also my debit card twice. The Credit card team had the card cancelled and a new one issued before we even saw the fraudulent transactions on the statement. Apparantly it was a few thousand quid.
    However the bank weren't as efficient or as helpful. They sent me off to get a crime number from the police, who laughed at me and told me to tell the bank to get their own crime number as it was their money that went missing not mine! The police told me that the Banks often use this as a delaying tactic or to deliberately add a further layer of complication to reolving the problem. The bank then lost the form they insisted I complete and it took about six months, about 5 letters of complaint before the money was refunded. All for £300!
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Some gangs just use random number generators until the discover a card number and CNP id that works, they are normally the ones who make large or overseas purchases and will just hammer the card until the company or you discover that they are doing it. Sadly there is absolutly nothing you can do to stop it, except check all of your statements for bogus sales
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I keep my credit card pretty well maxed out all the time just so there's nothing there for the crooks :001_smile:
  • babegirl
    babegirl Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    hahaha

I paid most of my purchases with cash , simple! no fraud no worries and no big brother :001_tt2:
Privacy Policy