Can I file tax returns?

bonnie
bonnie Registered Posts: 30 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,
I work as a book-keeper and I've just signed up for the certificate AAT course. I wondered on completion of the Technicians level, if I would be qualified to file tax returns for small businesses or sole traders as this is what I would eventually like to do. Or what follow-up course would I need to do?

Thanks.

Comments

• NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

Tax isn't a regulated area so in theory any Tom, Dick or Harry can carry out tax work regardless of qualification or not. As to the AAT providing you with sufficient knowledge, it will depend on the options you take and the level of tax work you will undertake. If you become an AAT full member you will need to apply to the Members in Practice scheme for a License and for tax work to be inlcuded in the license you will need to have some relevant experience.

The ultimate responsibility for tax returns lies with the individual or business concerned, however you can register with HMRC to become an agent so as to submit returns and make enquries on behalf of the individual/business.

Neil
  • sloshed
    sloshed Registered Posts: 100 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Bonnie

Whilst I agree with everything NeilH has said. I would strongly suggest you consider doing the ATT (Association of Taxation Technicans) as this would give you far more in depth knowledge of tax. This would also allow you to give added value to your clients. :thumbup1:

Brian
  • bonnie
    Thanks both of you. Sloshed - is this a course (ATT) to be taken when I complete the technicians level? I'm only just about to begin the certificate.
    Thanks
  • shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    Bonnie

To become a Member in Practice after qualifying with AAT, you will also need work experience to prove your competence. Off the top of my head I thought it was at least one years experience but maybe as much as 3 years (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
    As a MIP you will have to adhere to the AAT's Professional and Ethical Guidelines which also means that you should only take on work that you feel competent in.
    I'm now studying for ATT and have to say it's quite intensive compared to the AAT.
    My advice would be to compete AAT first in order to gain some knowledge in personal and business taxation before attempting ATT.
    But the ATT qualification is an excellent route after AAT if you don't want to go down the ACCA/CIMA etc road.
    Good luck in your studies.

Sharon
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    shaxxa wrote: »
    To become a Member in Practice after qualifying with AAT, you will also need work experience to prove your competence. Off the top of my head I thought it was at least one years experience but maybe as much as 3 years (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

To apply for MAAT you'll need one years full-time (or equivalent part-time) work experience. If you wish to use self employed experience for the purposes of membership, the one year must be after completing the Diploma/Techncian stage. There are no specific additional work experience requirements to apply for Member in Practice but you will nedd to demonstrate experience in the areas you wish to be licensed for.

Neil
  • bonnie
    Thanks everyone, I telephoned the ATT who were very helpful too. I think I'll start with the AAT Diploma - through to technicians level and then go on to take the ATT. I work as a book-keeper for one company at the moment, on a self-employed basis. When I have got the Certificate under my belt, I may start looking for a 'proper' job, i.e not self employed to get some relevant work experience.
    Thanks again.
Privacy Policy