2008 Budget

Dean
Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
What a complete crock o smelly stuff! One big cover up story....

Regards

Dean

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    I know I'm so annoyed but I cannot afford a packet of cigarettes anymore to destress:lol:
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Income shifting rules being postponed a year is pretty welcome to me!

Time to get the beers in (well, before sunday anyway..!)

:001_smile:
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    What gets my goat is everything thats going up and costs us more goes straight away more or less. Anything that costs the government more gets deferred for a year at least.
  • Dean
    Income shifting rules being postponed a year is pretty welcome to me!

True, although I think that was to be expected.

One other welcome thing announced in the budget was the writing off of the General Pools WDA - if the balance is below £1,000.

Regards

Dean
  • Dean
    It's amazing what you find when you go digging!
    Corrections of errors on VAT returns

Currently, a business is required to make a voluntary disclosure for any errors exceeding £2,000 net. For amounts less than this, the amount can be adjusted on the next VAT return.

For accounting periods commencing on or after 1st July 2008, a disclosure will only be necessary where the error exceeds the greater of £10,000 or 1% of turnover with an upper limit of £50,000. For errors above £10,000, the turnover test will be applied to the net VAT turnover entered in box 6 of the relevant VAT return period. For errors below these limits an adjustment to the next VAT return should be made.

For more information see Budget Notice 75

Regards

Dean
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I am not sure that I understand the new VAT rules :001_unsure:

Are they saying a net VAT error of £10K can be amended on the next return, or £10K of net ie only £1,750 of VAT. :confused1::confused1::confused1:

Budget really was a non-event, for which I think everyone should be grateful. Just think of the damage he could have caused!

Claudia
  • Dean
    Are they saying a net VAT error of £10K can be amended on the next return,

:001_smile:
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Dean wrote: »

What mine would that be then Dean?

Poodle

PS missed the £1k WDA w/o anouncement

PPS Not been able to focus on budget with crashing PC's urghhhhhhhh
  • red_devil
    red_devil Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Dean wrote: »

Regards

Dean

Ha Ha. When I first read this I thought it said it's amazing what you find when you go "dogging"!
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    On TV last night I heard that, thanks to dear old Darling, it is now cheaper to buy ecstacy tablets or a line of coke than purchase cigarettes. Well done labour.

I know I know well mustn't condone illegal drug use. But this situation is amazing.

:001_unsure::001_rolleyes::sneaky2:
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    A net VAT error of £10K is going it some surely - that is £57K ex VAT price - that cannot be a "routine error" - or if it is, then I am doing things far too well :lol:

Claudia
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Errors on VAT Returns

Claudia

At present if you make an error in your VAT calculations you can work the under or over payment into your next VAT return if the total net error amounts to no more than £2,000. Where the error produces an under or overpayment of more than £2,000 you should voluntarily declare the error to the VAT office.

This error reporting limit is being raised to the greater of £10,000
    Or
    1% of the reported turnover for the VAT quarter, subject to a cap of £50,000

The new limit applies for accounting periods beginning on and after 1 July 2008.

Hope this clarifies

Poodle
Privacy Policy