Annoying Clients

Melody
Melody Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
Hi

I was wondering if any of you other MIP's can help me. I am new to this MIP stuff and have come across an annoying client who is expecting me to do far more than I should do, in terms of work. They are basically expecting me to make management decisions. I am starting to think that I would be better off without them. My question is how do I get rid of them? Has anyone else had to 'sack' a client before and if so how?

Many thanks

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have had to get rid of a few clients that were just not worth the effort. Mainly because I felt they were not being totally honest with me or I felt they were a high risk of not declaring all their income.

- Increasing the fees is often a good way to get rid of these, or at least make them less of a burden;

- Others I have written to saying that I no longer have the capacity to do the work and would not want to stretch myself and risk providing a poor service;

- Others I have said I no longer practice in their particular area of tax (perhaps property taxes);

- Others I have said I no longer have clients in their industry and feel that they would be better served by a practitioner with more clients in that area.

Actually, I seem to have spent a lot of time getting rid of clients, or dissuading them from using my services!

Turning away work can be a hard thing to do at first but it is well worth it for an easier life in the long run..
  • red_devil
    red_devil Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hey Deano! I just wondered if you realised that you are a God-like figure to us merer mortals on this forum. Your words of wisdom are invaluable to us all.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I asked a similar question to "get rid" of a client. I wrote him a letter using phrases suggested, eg "I am planning to narrow my field of expertise to certain sectors and your sector is unfortunately not one of those I have chosen" and "I wish you all the best in business and would like to reassure you that I will co-operate fully with the new accountant/agent you chose".
    He didn't get the hint straight away. He telephone me on a number of occasions asking if I could make an exception and keep doing his work, but no...it just wasn't worth the hassle! Who needs those sort of clients!
  • Melody
    Many thanks for your words of wisdom. I am actually staring to make myself feel ill thinking about how to say "get stuffed" to this client in a nice way. I will take your advice and tell them that I no longer have the capacity to do the work for them.

I'm sure once I have done it for the first time, it will be easier to turn work away in the future. It's just such a scary thought, saying no to work.

Thanks once again and I'll let you know the outcome.:thumbup1:
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Melody

I promise it gets easier with time telling clients to get stuffed - the fee option often doesn't work - I ended up with a client who was paying 4x everyone else, so finally I had to say get lost.

It is immensely satisfying once you have actually done it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Claudia
  • Melody
    Well just an update for you all. I finally got to see my client yesterday and told them that I thought that the relationship wasn't working. Luckily they agreed..... so all that worrying for nothing. I have agreed to carry on for a few weeks to give them chance to find someone else. Many many thanks to all of you to helped me with my problem. It is really nice to know that you are not on your own out there in the world of being an MIP.

:thumbup::thumbup:
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    URRGGGGGHHH:cursing:

I wrote to one of the annoying beasties on my client list last week, a really nice letter saying that I could no longer deal with his affairs, wished him well and advised him to appoint a new accountant PDQ to satisfy his statutory duties.

Blighter sent his accounts in the post today with a covering letter, no mention of my letter and saying that he had no excuse for being late!!

Should I do the work or send it back to him?

Poodle
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Stick to your guns. Send it back with a copy of your original letter! Be firm!
  • Melody
    I agree with TC, you should stick to your original letter and tell him to take his business else where. I am sure that most people who are a MIP would agree that we didn't go down this route of self employment to get lumbered with work we don't want to do. I did enough of that when I was an employee! Good luck!:001_rolleyes:
Privacy Policy