Sage Payroll - Month Ends

columbia
columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me please. I have been running Sage Payroll 2007 and printing a detailed employee history report at the end of each payrun, which currently is the last Friday in the week for hourly paid staff, and the last date of the month for salaried staff. I use this report to fill out a manual P32 showing how much NI and PAYE is due for the month. Due to the cross over of dates that I use, the P32 reports from Sage at Year End don't balance exactly to the figures that I have used to make payments to HMRC.

As we are now at a year end the figures on my manual P32 are slightly different to the P32s produced from Sage for the Year end. I assume that for accuracy I really should produce the P32 report each month, which date should I use, and are there are any other reports that I can cross check this against for accuracy?

I am self taught on payroll, so if anyone has a guide to processing payroll, or useful hints I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Tracy

Comments

• pernickety
    pernickety Registered Posts: 47 Regular contributor ⭐
    columbia wrote: »
    Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me please. I have been running Sage Payroll 2007 and printing a detailed employee history report at the end of each payrun, which currently is the last Friday in the week for hourly paid staff, and the last date of the month for salaried staff. I use this report to fill out a manual P32 showing how much NI and PAYE is due for the month. Due to the cross over of dates that I use, the P32 reports from Sage at Year End don't balance exactly to the figures that I have used to make payments to HMRC.

As we are now at a year end the figures on my manual P32 are slightly different to the P32s produced from Sage for the Year end. I assume that for accuracy I really should produce the P32 report each month, which date should I use, and are there are any other reports that I can cross check this against for accuracy?

I am self taught on payroll, so if anyone has a guide to processing payroll, or useful hints I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Tracy
    I always thought that the payment summary report was the better report to print out monthly or weekly than the employee history. The P32 at month end, is a must to keep on file too; showing the totals of all the payment summaries for the period. You can still print prior to y/end - just select each individual month i.e M1 ending April 5th, M2 May 5th etc. If your report off Sage do not balance with your manual records than either you have manually recorded an incorrect figure, or you changed some element of pay in sage prior to update and did not record the change in the manual records (or possibly a bit of both).

As for your totals paid to HMRC, Sage is going to be right (providing gross pay was right for every employee); so if you are short in your payments to HMRC then just send the extra Sage says needs to be paid(or take off if over).

If it is your accounts information that does not balance to zero when you come to send anything due after 5th April with your P35 (but before W1/M1 journals) then entries have been made incorrectly to your accounts and you will have to back-track the journals made with the individual monthly P32s off Sage and correct accordingly.

To get around the possibility of errors from payroll to accounts, I used to record all of my payments to HMRC in the P35 wizard window every month and then the P35 would always balance to the liability showing in the accounts liability code. It became my double-check, as I always knew that everything balanced and could therefore keep check on anything that may have been input incorrectly in accounting records; no nasty shocks at payroll year-end ever!

Hope have helped.
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Pernickety

Thank you very much for such a concise reply. I will look in more detail at my payroll records tomorrow and hopefully get them to balance! I haven't used the P35 Wizard so will start to do this from now on as you have pointed out it is perfect as a double-check facility.

Thanks again you have been a great help.

Best regards

Tracy
Privacy Policy