Starting at Technician Level?

enrdbrow
enrdbrow Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hello all,

Having passed my degree in Information Systems, I've decided to have a slight career change and to go down the accounting route. I do qualify to start straight on the fundamentals level of ACCA but would like an Accounting qualification much sooner. Hence me opting for the AAT, (Does any find this silly?). So I was just wondering if it was possible to start straight at the Technician stage, and has anyone done this?
Regards, D.

Comments

• 80sGuitarSolo
    80sGuitarSolo Registered Posts: 21 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I think you only get the ACCA exemptions if you have passed both Intermediate and Technician. I think the only exceptions to this are if you hold a relevant degree (eg Accounting) - and if you do hold such a degree I think you get the ACCA exemptions too.
  • phunkyphantom22
    phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    To gain the AAT qualification, you must complete both intermediate and technician levels.

This will then give you exemptions from papers F1, F2 and F3 from ACCA Fundamental levels.

If you visit the ACCA website, you will be able to see what exemptions AAT and your degree will give you. Or alternitavely, give their student services a call.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I think you only have to pass technician.

When I got my exemptions I only had to provide my technician statement of achievement.
  • phunkyphantom22
    phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    https://portal.accaglobal.com/accaweb/faces/page/public/accreditations/enquiry/main/EnqInstitutionsTable.jspx

You can check your degree and AAT for exemptions at the link above - however, it only shows exemptions if you have completed all AAT levels to NVQ4 (Tech level), it doesn't say what happens if you only have NVQ 4/Tech level.

However, I don't see the point in just sitting Tech level - enrdbrow said they want a qualification sooner, but they won't have AAT - you need to complete both intermediate and technician level to be AAT qualified, so you might aswell just get on and do ACCA and sit the 3 papers that AAT would give you exemption from?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    you might aswell just get on and do ACCA and sit the 3 papers that AAT would give you exemption from?

Couldn't agree more especially as you have to pay for the exam exemptions anyway!

However I have found this on the AAT website
    You must have completed both the Intermediate (NVQ/SVQ level 3) and Technician (NVQ/SVQ level 4) levels of the AAT Accounting Qualification. If you hold a UK degree in Accounting or are part-qualified with one of the UK's chartered or certified bodies you need only to have completed the Technician level.
    I knew I had read it somewhere. Obviously I wouldn't expect that a degree in Information Systems would give you that exemption so as phunkyphantom says, you would need to do the two levels.
  • enrdbrow
    enrdbrow Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Thanks for all the replies. I've found that you do only require the Technician certificate to gain the exemptions from ACCA F3 - F1. But I would like to gain the AAT qualification so I'm going to complete both the Intermediate and Technician Stages. Thanks again for your help.
    D
Privacy Policy