life after AAT advice

abbyessex
abbyessex Registered Posts: 5 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
I have achieved all 3 levels of the AAT. I completed AAT Tech stage last June, but have only couple of weeks practical work experience from a temp job.Shortly after which i found i was expecting my 2nd child and had some health problems with my pregnancy, which i am over now and so obviously am not looking for full time employment due to family commitments. However after spending 3 years doing AAT and i am now just an afflitte member. Which i think i can only be for 3 years??? is this correct??

I would like to do something to get the practical experience i need to continue my career path, and achieve full membership, but at the moment working from home would be my only option. I feel that doing no work i am losing what i have achieved and my brain is slowly melting lol! Is there any work i am allowed to undertake from home, i have tried researching on net what i am and am not allowed to do but its so confusing. As i have no practical experience can i for example do simple book keeping?? as im not a full member if i was i would need to register with HMRC from what i can gather. Apart from book keeping what else would i be allowed to do??? Or can i only do this work once i become a full member? As i know small shop keepers who do their own book keeping and their not AAT qualified...etc All i really want to do is some kind of accountancy work to gain more experience, i would even work voluntry.

Any advice welcome as i feel stuck and dont know how to gain more experience to move on from where i am now, also any extra experience would help my cv for when i am able to look for permanant work as an employee. As employers seem to like employees that are AAT qual, but only if they have practical experience!!

Many thanks

Comments

• Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi Abbyessex.

Congratulations on passing your exams and having your children. I am no sure which is harder:laugh:

You are correct in that under AAT rules you are not able to provide self employment accounting services to the public unless you are a full member, accepted as a Member in Practice and have some PI insurance.

But that should not stop you from gaining experience. You could approach the shop keepers and offer your services on a casual PAYE basis, that is allowed and voluntary work also counts.

I am not sure but I think that nearly anyone is able to register as an agent with HMR&C and operate as an 'accountant' qualification or not. But If you do want to gain full AAT membership in time then, and it will be worth it then I would not recommend this route to you.

Poodle
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Poodle wrote: ยป

You are correct in that under AAT rules you are not able to provide self employment accounting services to the public unless you are a full member, accepted as a Member in Practice and have some PI insurance.

Hi

You are able to provide self-employed services as a student/affiliate member but you will be unable to refer to any conection with the AAT what so ever, though you can still undertake the same range of duties as an MIP. Also, if you wish to use self mployed exeprience for your membership application it will need certifying by an appropriate person (i.e. your bank manager) who has knowledge of the work you undertake and it will need to be obtained after completing technician (though this would obviously be the case).

Neil
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Are you based in Essex by any chance????

If so, there might be some MIPs on here who would appreciate some help on a free/low cost basis in exchange for you getting the experience that you need.

Let us know what you want/need and we will see if any of us can help.

Claudia
  • abbyessex
    Many thanks for all the replies above you have all been very helpful.

And Claudia i had actually looked yesturday at MIP's in my local area before starting this thread and one had an email address , so i emailed it saying exactly what you sugguested lol. How ever lady was 5days over due with a baby too! lol so not looking for anyone at the moment but has kept my details for future! so will try others and see what they say. Im based in southend area, but do drive.
  • abbyessex
    When you say range of duties, what sorts of things do you mean exactly?? Or would it be better to ask what am i not allowed to do?? lol for example book keeping, tax returns for self employed , small businesses??
  • NeilH
    When you say range of duties, what sorts of things do you mean exactly?? Or would it be better to ask what am i not allowed to do?? lol for example book keeping, tax returns for self employed , small businesses??

Hi

The only areas AAT wont qulify you for is statutory audit, financial services and insolvency. Outside of these areas you can undertake any work that you are competent in.
    Neil
  • CHUNKYMONKEY
    CHUNKYMONKEY Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor โญ
    Also, if you wish to use self mployed exeprience for your membership application it will need certifying by an appropriate person (i.e. your bank manager) ???neil???

im trying to get full membership but finding it hard to get form signed as need an accountant to sign me off for maat letters.

are you saying there are other options neil? never heard of bank manager signing for maat
  • NeilH
    Also, if you wish to use self mployed exeprience for your membership application it will need certifying by an appropriate person (i.e. your bank manager) ???neil???

im trying to get full membership but finding it hard to get form signed as need an accountant to sign me off for maat letters.

are you saying there are other options neil? never heard of bank manager signing for maat

If you are self-employed a bank mamanger is an example of a person who may be in a position to sign your application. Otherwise, it would normally be an employer/supervisor.
Privacy Policy