Comments

• peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck
    Steve
  • Emma1708
    Emma1708 Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Good Luck. Please do come back with the outcome as I will be going through the same thing as you in August (if I pass my exams).

I wonder if it would be worth declaring my IVA now in advance of applying for membership so it would be (hopefully) sorted out by that times comes

Any ideas anyone?
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Emma1708 wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be worth declaring my IVA now in advance of applying for membership so it would be (hopefully) sorted out by that times comes

Any ideas anyone?

You should do it before and should really have already have done so, regardless of any intentions to apply for Full Membership or not. Like you say, if you do it now it may be sorted by the time you complete technician.
  • X7thomas
    X7thomas Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Hey Emma,

Talking about the IVA, you need to tell them about the IVA straight away. I only hope you have not been in it to long because if you have then they may say you should have told us 2 years (for example) when you started your IVA. As where if you only started your IVA this year, then by telling them now it is within an acceptable time period.

The reason I am having more problems now is because I did not tell the AAT about my IVA when I took it out in 2006. It wasnt intentional (same as everyone in my position), it is simply because I didnt know I had to. I would never keep it from the AAT and this is why I am so mad ... because they are taking me to disciplinary for not disclosing it. THEY DIDNT BLOODY ASK.

So yes tell the AAT ASAP and hopefully they wont take you to a disciplinary for not telling them sooner. If you want some advice and want to ask the AAT some questions about it without them making any notes on your file etc .. then just give them a call and dont disclose any personal information.

This link may also be of help to anyone in my position :

http://www.aat.org.uk/servlet/file/professional_standards_insolvency.pdf?ITEM_ENT_ID=630&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=34

On another note ..... Ive still not heard anything from the AAT. Was hoping to hear something by the end of this week, so think I will give it to the end of next week now and if I have still not heard anything then I will give them a call :thumbdown:.

Will defo let you all know tho !!

Cheers for your support.

Chris
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    X7thomas wrote: »
    The reason I am having more problems now is because I did not tell the AAT about my IVA when I took it out in 2006.

Even if you had read/remembererd the contents of the T&C's I am sure that advisng the AAT of you having to enter into an IVA was not/would not have been the first thing that would have sprung into your mind at that time.

I would imagine that you were more concerned about how you were going to feed yourself/your family and keep a roof over your head!

I would say that any reasonable person (disciplinary panel) would understand that.

Poodle
  • X7thomas
    Exactly, thats exactly the point. Going through that kind of stress with debts or IVA (same with anyone), it is an extremely stressful time. I spent most of the time worried about it and hoping this would sort my problems out, losing sleep, worrying how I will manage for 5 years. So although the AAT is important, there are still alot more important things out there that tend to take priority.

I only hope like you say that they will understand this and are not to harsh.
  • X7thomas
    Sorted !!!

Well im really sorry for the huge delay in letting you all know.

It took a good few months, BUT ... I WAS accepted as a Full Member in the end and now everything is totally fine.

After many letters and LOADS of stressful days/nights, im so glad this is all over with now.

Just thought I would let you all know what happened and to help anyone in a similar situation in the future.

Cheers :thumbup:
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Many congrats!
  • lou123
    lou123 Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    That's great news! I'm glad they were able to see that everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves because you appear to have worked so hard to get yourself back on track.

Well done. :thumbup:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Congrats Thomas. :)
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Fantastic news!
  • X7thomas
    Thanks

Thanks for all your nice comments guys.

Cheers :thumbup:
  • Cariann65
    Cariann65 Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
    Congratulations!
  • Vonni
    Vonni Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    Chris

I hope everything goes well and you get full membership - it would be a shame if you didn't based something that had happened in your past. I know you probably made a mess of things but it will more than likely put you in a better position to help others who might be facing the same situation - good luck and don't take to heart some of the comments made - something like this that you've survived can only make you a better person.
  • Raging Pineapples
    Raging Pineapples Registered Posts: 110 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Well it's a triumph for the true purpose of IVAs and Bankruptcy isn't it? I mean regardless of their day-to-day abuse, they are actually meant to help people start a clean slate and it looks like you're well on the way!!

I worked in an insolvency advice firm for a few months and it brings tears to your eyes just how some of these poor souls get into debt. One client (not being too specific here) was a businessman owning a very successful shop. A utility company then did some work right outside his entrance preventing any clients coming in for about 6 months. Then a different utility firm did exactly the same thing straight after. So 12 months of almost no revenue resulted in rent and other bills he simply couldn't repay. The utility firms responsible did finally compensate him, but by then the damage was done and an extremely profitable shop had had to be sold.

Twas deeply harsh :(
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
    peugeot wrote: »
    Please please don't think I'm judging anyone by replying to this thread - but, terms and conditions (T&Cs) should be read with caution - this is because (as you know) companies/institutes will fall back on them.

They might be ridiculous, but they always seem to be (and are) written within the law.

Where would the terms and conditions be? I dont recall seing any and my AAT application was completed by the college not myself?

Just curious! and would like to read them now!
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Firstly, I agree with what's been said on here about IVAs being a great way to help people who genuinely need it, but yes, the system is open to abuse.
    More to the point, I was going to write a post saying that yes, I agree that most people don't pay that much attention to T&Cs and even if you read the AATs T&Cs in full when you signed up you may not remember years later that you have to inform them of entering into an IVA because at the time it wasn't an issue, however, when you are considering entering into an IVA then you should consider all the implications before doing so, one of them being what effect it may have on your career. To back myself up I quickly googled 'pros and cons of an IVA' and I'm pretty shocked at the results - on this website http://www.debtadvicebureau.org.uk/individual_voluntary_arrangement/iva_pros_cons.html
    and this one http://www.my-iva-adviser.co.uk/iva-the-pros-or-the-advantages-of-an-iva and this one http://www.ivahelpcenter.co.uk/iva-pros-cons.php they all include in the list of 'pros' that entering into an IVA will not have any ill-effects on your proffessional status.
    So who's in the wrong here? Are the AAT in the wrong for insisting that you inform them, or are these sites giving out critically flawed advice? Very worrying either way!
  • deanshepherd
    I dont recall seing any and my AAT application was completed by the college not myself?

Interesting. I'm sure you have to sign the application. Did your college do that too?!

The guidance can be found here, here and more generally, here.
  • deanshepherd
    JodieR wrote: »
    So who's in the wrong here? Are the AAT in the wrong for insisting that you inform them, or are these sites giving out critically flawed advice? Very worrying either way!

Given that all of those sites seem to make money from getting people to go down the IVA route, I wouldn't hold out on their accuracy.

Personally, I blame employers for not taking the time to teach their staff about professional ethics.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    i will say one thing on this dean ive been in college doing this for two years and not once has it been mentioned or even asked not even during enrolment?? dont you think the college also have a responsiblity to fully inform the student what will be needed to gain the qualifaction???
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    but like a-vic i did the whole three years and i am still struggling to get my full MAAT, ive had to try and get someone who i did voulentry work for a coupld years ago to get them to make up my work profile....i know obviously they dont want to give out a full MAAT to just anyone. but upto know im still waiting on the reply from the person to see if they have got my email and if they have confirmed it and another one of the work experience people who i put down sent a "f*king letter" stupid or what there is a postal strike on !!!how much of an idiot can that be to not just send an easy email to AAT with confirming detail its not rocket science !
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    A-Vic wrote: »
    i will say one thing on this dean ive been in college doing this for two years and not once has it been mentioned or even asked not even during enrolment?? dont you think the college also have a responsiblity to fully inform the student what will be needed to gain the qualifaction???

I agree i have all the paperwork and havent come across this, it has never been mentioned at our college either, i appreciate i should have checked but having never had to sign terms and conditions it hasnt crossed my mind.

I dont have one but its scary that you could get so far, pay out so much and then get a kick in the teeth!!!

AAT should in "my opinion" (not to offend anyone) write to students when they register to join aat outlineing clearly any possible problems for not being able to become a full member. The terms and conditions may say this but is it not curtious to write as part of the welcome to joining AAT any potential problems?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I agree i have all the paperwork and havent come across this, it has never been mentioned at our college either, i appreciate i should have checked but having never had to sign terms and conditions it hasnt crossed my mind.

I dont have one but its scary that you could get so far, pay out so much and then get a kick in the teeth!!!

AAT should in "my opinion" (not to offend anyone) write to students when they register to join aat outlineing clearly any possible problems for not being able to become a full member. The terms and conditions may say this but is it not curtious to write as part of the welcome to joining AAT any potential problems?

See my point being a lot of people in college only use the site to book exams and thats all and id say a good 50% dount even read the mag or anything to do with the site (i cant understand why) so that why i thought the first people who should notify us would be the college (even if only to tell us to read the terms and conditions)
  • deanshepherd
    To be honest, it has never been easier to locate all this information on the AAT website. When I started my AAT training they didn't even have a website! It didn't stop me phoning AAT and asking them for any guidance or publications that may be of interest to me.

Similarly, before I joined my other professional bodies more recently, I had a good look around their websites. Why wouldn't you? Were you not interested enough to take a look?

I don't think AAT should send a warning to prospective students that if you do something unprofessional you may not be allowed to become a member of a professional body. It's kinda obvious isn't it? Why become a member of a professional body at all if any old embezzler can join?

Lessons are either learned the easy way or the hard way. Thomas (who started this thread) had to learn the hard way but is now a full member of AAT. Hopefully those students, and potential students, reading this thread will have the opportunity to learn the easy way.

Without wanting to sound condescending (well.. maybe a little bit!) you're not in school any more, don't expect to be spoon fed!
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    To be honest, it has never been easier to locate all this information on the AAT website. When I started my AAT training they didn't even have a website! It didn't stop me phoning AAT and asking them for any guidance or publications that may be of interest to me.

Similarly, before I joined my other professional bodies more recently, I had a good look around their websites. Why wouldn't you? Were you not interested enough to take a look?

I don't think AAT should send a warning to prospective students that if you do something unprofessional you may not be allowed to become a member of a professional body. It's kinda obvious isn't it? Why become a member of a professional body at all if any old embezzler can join?

Lessons are either learned the easy way or the hard way. Thomas (who started this thread) had to learn the hard way but is now a full member of AAT. Hopefully those students, and potential students, reading this thread will have the opportunity to learn the easy way.

Without wanting to sound condescending (well.. maybe a little bit!) you're not in school any more, don't expect to be spoon fed!

You seem to be very abrupt with your replies, this is ment to be a discussion forum not a right v's wrong!!!!
    I am only stating how it has happened that I have neve recieved the T & C!!!! Untill this year I had not been on the AAT website, I joined through a college and they provided the information to me. yes mabey a little nieve, I was only 20, but thats how it is!!!

I have nothing that will prevent me from becoming a full AAT member, I am clean finance wise, in fact I feel very lucky that at 24 i have brought my own place on my own so actually manage funds well!!!

I have emailed the AAT to have a copy pd theT & C sent to me, not because i am worried but because I am interested in what applies!!!
    Now I am nearing completion of a professional qualificaion I have spent hours on ACCA website as this is my chosen route. Prior to this I wasnt too worried, I was happy just studying accountancy but if thats all it lead to an AAT qualification then I would have been happy. But like I say now I am taking my profession further I am investigating more detiails about this company.

AAT is a low level and starting on the certificate is early days and people arnt too worried about in three years time but things happen and change that and as others have said the last thing you think about when you are approaching these companies is to contact the AAT.

This forum should help people not judge them for their actions!!!
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    A-Vic wrote: »
    See my point being a lot of people in college only use the site to book exams and thats all and id say a good 50% dount even read the mag or anything to do with the site (i cant understand why) so that why i thought the first people who should notify us would be the college (even if only to tell us to read the terms and conditions)

I agree!!
  • deanshepherd
    These forums are for sharing thoughts and opinions. I am not going to tread on eggshells for fear of offending someone.

In my view, colleges are there to help you pass the exams and it should either be yourself or your employer that deals with the AAT. Obviously some colleges are more helpful than others. I guess it depends on how you stumbled onto the AAT course, either via an employer or via the college, as to who you think is responsible. I know who I think is responsible.
  • Julia Crouch
    Julia Crouch Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Chris

Just logged in tonight and I was surprised to see this thread again but pleased to see that it has all worked out well for you.

I wish you well and the best of luck with your accounting career in the future

Julia
    AKA Poodle
Privacy Policy