career move advice

Marmite
Marmite Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
Hi there,

For the last 13 years I have worked as a Purchase Ledger clerk, a Bookkeeper for a small Ltd company and now I am a Financial Assistant, where I currently do expenses, purchase ledger and the payroll.

I completed the AAT last year and found I really enjoyed preparing final accounts and would love to get experience/a job in this area.

Can anyone offer me any advice/ideas as to how I can make the jump from where I am now, I am going to be 40 soon :ohmy: and don't want to be just a clerk/assistant forever.

Do accounting practices generally prefer younger people who they can train up and who can work full time. :thumbdown: (I have an 8yr old and like to be there for her after school).

My current employment is unable to offer me this work experience.

Comments

• claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Marmite

I am sure that there are loads of people out there who can offer you the training and flexibility that you require.

If you lived closer to me, I could offer you a part time job......

However, despite what we are all told, ageism, sexism and part timeism is still alive and well in 2008. You will need to really look around, but the jobs are there, it is just a question of finding them!!!!!

Claudia
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Marmite,

Have you tried asking the accountants who finalise the accounts that you work on now?

They will be familiar with your capabilities and you never know.

Goodluck

Poodle
  • Ratherbefishing
    Ratherbefishing Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Hi

I was in a similar situation to you my friend and i was taken on by a large practice firm based on the South Coast. I was given a three year training contract and this was at the age of 33yrs old with the option to studying either ACCA or ACA. My initial salary was £17,500 with two pay rises a year, Aug & Feb (assuming attempted ACCA papers were passed)

Good luck with your search.
Privacy Policy