How did the ecr exam go?

sootysoo
sootysoo Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
Hi

How did it go?

I think I fluffed one question up to do with MOS on the written bit.

Other than that I think it was ok.

Comments

• po1988
    po1988 Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    MOS? i thought it was ok apart from the cost per batch questions as the figures where very confusing, anyone else notice that?
  • LouLou143
    LouLou143 Registered Posts: 74 Regular contributor ⭐
    Margin of Safety?
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I presume we cant talk about details yet but i do have to agree with the batch cost part. everything else seemed ok so hopefully did ok
  • squirrel
    squirrel Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    I agree with you on the batch questions. Was it just the variable overheads and the fixed overheads figures that you needed to divide by the number of batches for the second and third parts of the question?
  • ambitious
    ambitious Banned User Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    i also think the cost per batch figures question had a mistake in it. that figure for direct labour hour and the other one, can't remember now was definitely not per batch. the 2 figures in total it was near the total fixed overheads! but other than that i was happy with the paper. FRA to go then bring on technician level!
  • Rexie
    Rexie Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    ECR Exam

Exam was ok, thank god for the past papers!! No surprises in the paper, so pretty happy - of course they dropped in IRR right at the end.

Just FRA to go on Wednesday, then I am off to the pub!!

Happy revising to you all, check out the website for useful notes - see guidance notes, these point you in the right direction.

:thumbup:
  • immense
    immense Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    You aren't allowed to discuss the actual contents until 8pm guys!! Don't want you to get into trouble!!
  • po1988
    po1988 Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    sorry didnt realsie, is there a way to remove posts
  • JLo
    JLo Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    when do we get our results
  • squirrel
    squirrel Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    :blushing: Sorry didn't know about the 8pm rule.
  • immense
    immense Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    You can't remove posts unfortunately! I wasn't moaning - just advising!! For morning exams it is after 3pm and afternoon after 8pm!! It is because people are taking it all over the world in different timezones and if we talk too early they may get hints on what is in the paper!!

Results are out in August - I believe by email on 19.08.08 (if you have signed up on my AAT), 20.08.08 midnight on here and by 21.08.08 in the post
  • shelle
    shelle Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    think and hope it went well got my fingers crossed very tight for the next two months!!:001_smile:

last bit of the paper i really didnt like and certain things you nev er greatly positive on plus i dont know how marking scheme of it works how much each question works so i am just hoping i passed be gutted if didnt
  • sid
    sid Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    ecr exam

hi,
    agree cost per batch ? bit confusing, worked it out right then re-wrote it, after checking I now know I messed up.:blushing: Anyone else have problems with the disposal, not seen that before ?:confused1:
    and its not in the books.
    Wondering about the pass rate, can you still pass with a possible 4 questions wrong? Anyway need to relax and concentrate on fra exam now!!!
    Good luck everyone :001_smile:
  • westendlad
    westendlad Registered Posts: 30 Regular contributor ⭐
    I spent a bit of time looking at the play on words for this question.

THINK the rest of the paper is OK, or hope so.

Does anyone remember what they got in the end ?
  • Cath Barrett
    Cath Barrett Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    batch cost

Boy am I glad everyone had trouble with this one. There's no way that what I put made sense but I'm pretty certain the theory was right. I even checked past papers when I got home. I really think someone messed up on the wording. Let's hope so!:confused1:
  • Dill
    Dill Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    It's gone 8 now so I think we can talk about this?

I got completely confused with the batch costs on 1.6? The wording was poor as their wording suggested that their Direct Labour and Direct Materials would have come to over £857,000,000 -- which is unlikely to say the least!
  • westendlad
    what confused me was when they gave the materials and labour per batch.

Then the fixed costs, then they said there was something like 15020 batches.

So I gave them the actual figures I thought they wanted, then divided it by 15020 in brackets [which didn't make sense but came out as a round number]
  • kjg-kj
    kjg-kj Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yeah I did the same. I divided the variable overheads by the number of units to get £3.20 per batch and the fixed costs by the number of units to get £5 per batch.
    The figures seemed stupidly small but assumed they were just trying to catch us out...either that or they got the question wrong!
  • Essexgal
    Essexgal Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    kjg-kj wrote: »
    Yeah I did the same. I divided the variable overheads by the number of units to get £3.20 per batch and the fixed costs by the number of units to get £5 per batch.
    The figures seemed stupidly small but assumed they were just trying to catch us out...either that or they got the question wrong!

I did this too :001_smile:
  • westendlad

yes, I am sure those were the same figures I put in brackets after the bigger total.
  • George Tse
    George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    yea i added the £3.20 to the prime cost to get marginal cost did n e one else do that as well ?
  • Dill
    Dill Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Yeah that was my issue. Their Direct Labour and Direct Materials combined came to 57076 -- but it stated that that was per batch -- giving a Prime Cost per batch of 57076.

With 15020 batches, that's £857,281,520 in total which is completely unrealistic -- so I made a paragraph on the other page explaining what I did.

I ignored the "per batch" and did 57076/15020 = 3.8 which makes much more sense considering when you put this number to the marginal costing (+3.2) gives you a total of 7, and then the final one moving the number to 12.

However, doing the exam as the wording says gives you what one of my friends got, which was 57076, for part b, 57076+3.2 (57079.2) and for part c 57079.2+5 (57084.2).

Poor question in my mind.
  • artist
    artist Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    oh my !! I thought the figures didn't make sense at all, so I cut the "per batch" from the question and calculated accordingly. Did get round figures, DID I MESS UP? I think I got absorption cost as £12
  • Jentel
    Jentel Registered Posts: 60 Regular contributor ⭐
    Cost per batch i agree was confusing. The amount were so big and the figure i worked out for the rest were minimal. Just in case the examiner thinks that i did it wrong on my workings out i literally showed the question amount and wrote per batch next to it,
  • westendlad
    Dill wrote: »
    Yeah that was my issue. Their Direct Labour and Direct Materials combined came to 57076 -- but it stated that that was per batch -- giving a Prime Cost per batch of 57076.

With 15020 batches, that's £857,281,520 in total which is completely unrealistic -- so I made a paragraph on the other page explaining what I did.

I ignored the "per batch" and did 57076/15020 = 3.8 which makes much more sense considering when you put this number to the marginal costing (+3.2) gives you a total of 7, and then the final one moving the number to 12.

However, doing the exam as the wording says gives you what one of my friends got, which was 57076, for part b, 57076+3.2 (57079.2) and for part c 57079.2+5 (57084.2).

Poor question in my mind.

Feel quite good about this now !!!!

It seems like if most people saw it like this and we gave the same answer it will probably be marked correct
  • cookymonstar
    cookymonstar Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    HI

i thought did real well - then got home, checked a past paper on something i was unclear about - it was the batch costing.
    I read and re-read - and i believe that the overheads ( variable) read - PER BATCH
    whilst on calculation i thought gosh - this is bit high - i felt sure thats what the wuestion said and so answered accordingly!
    now i know its wrong, but have feeling i read it correct - so think maybe an error on the paper??

hope so !!" lol
  • Essexgal
    Essexgal Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    I personally think they will end up marking both answers correct anyone else agree?

I personally done as the question read ie the 3.2 and 5
  • kjg-kj
    kjg-kj Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yeah if it was their mistake and the materials and labour said 'per batch' and the overheads and fixed cost said 'total' surely they willl have to make that answer as right (57076+either 3.20 or 5.00) because people answered it as the question said! (she hopes.....)
  • cookymonstar
    cookymonstar Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor ⭐
    I included ALL overheads in the batch calculatoin!!! which i know not to do but am pretty sure question said so!!
    also fo rhte disposal, i simply included that in income for year 3 ?? hope i did that correct
  • LynB
    LynB Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Ecr

Exam was not bat at all, I had expected more tricky questions. Luckily I did lots of old exam papers...
Privacy Policy