Garmin SatNav

BIG WAL
BIG WAL Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Having recently bought a Garmin Nuvo 200, I wonder if anyone else experiences an undue delay in the unit picking up the satelite?

Most days it takes a 8 to 10 minutes before it starts operating - not a lot of use when going for a short local trip. Mind once it does, it works fine - no complaints on that score.

Very occassionally. on a clear day it only takes a couple of minutes, but I would have thought that this shouls always be the case.

Comments

• Baggybooks
    Baggybooks Registered Posts: 522 Epic contributor 🐘
    I use a Garmin for running and it works great, but a friend has the same model and it can take about 10 minutes to find the satelites - even though we're in exactly the same location.

When we set off, mine works instantly, but hers is always way behind.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Let's hope your satnav never breaks down when you're running or you may never find your way home. You might want to leave a trail of breadcrumbs just in case.
  • Baggybooks
    Baggybooks Registered Posts: 522 Epic contributor 🐘
    LOL! I'm so slow at the moment, I can still always see my house!
  • BIG WAL
    BIG WAL Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Thanks for your comments. As a result I've managed to get another (inexpensive) brand instead, and it picks up the satellite in seconds every time. Obviously Garmin is rubbish, as I've heard elswhere this problem with them is not uncommon.
  • kendall17
    kendall17 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    BIG WAL wrote: Β»
    Thanks for your comments. As a result I've managed to get another (inexpensive) brand instead, and it picks up the satellite in seconds every time. Obviously Garmin is rubbish, as I've heard elswhere this problem with them is not uncommon.

My dad is a continental coach driver and adores his garmin nuvi 250 (think thats the correct model) picks up satelite in seconds, went out on a rail replacement run to some of the most remote stations in yorkshire tonight and it picked up 7/8 stations on his route! the majority of which i had never heard of!

It maybe a problem with your garmin? but not every garmin obviously!
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Could it be the windscreen in your car? Some cars have a coating on the windscreen that interferes with the satellite signal. If so, they usually have a blank area near the rear view mirror you could stick an external aerial on, if there's one available for your unit.
Privacy Policy