Advice

Options
GILL
GILL Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
My line manager has received a complaint (verbal) against me because a colleague has been told by two other members of staff (who they refuse to name) that I have been 'watching' her.

One had told her to 'be careful what you are saying because Gill is stood in her doorway listening' (I wasn't)

Another told her that I had said 'people should lock their computer screens when they leave their desk, particularly when they have personal e-mails open on them' - this comment I did make but I didn't mention her name.

The problem I have is my line manager has just dismissed it and told me to forget about it however I feel I should be able to respond to this properly. At the very least I want to ask the person who passed on the computer comment why they did it, particularly as I share an office with them and now feel that I have to watch every word I say.

Is it worth causing more agro? or should I just try to forget it?

Comments

• Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I think forgetting it is probably the best way forward. You could try to have a one on one conversation with the person who complained about you, but you risk exacerbating the problem.
    Are you their senior? If so you should be expected to watch the staff, they should learn to live with it. If you are on the same level as them then I can see your difficulty.
    Paranoia, eh? It is awful being at work when there is an atmosphere. Do you know the complainer well enough to judge whether to discuss the situation? I still think, least said quickest healed.
    Good luck.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Sounds like your "colleague" is just trying to stir a bighornets nest.

Keep your head down and don't bother with her.

Keep to the working ettiquiete with them which will annoy her off but you will be the biger person.
  • Baggybooks
    Baggybooks Registered Posts: 522 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    The trouble with these situations is that they fester away and have a tendency to explode.

I'd say that the best way to get it out of your system is to do what you've done - share it on here and not at work.

There's nothing to be gained by airing it at work. Your line manager isn't worried, so try not to be either.
  • GILL
    GILL Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I am actually senior to both of them and should have spoken to her about sending personal e-mails during work time and not locking the computer when away from her desk (both against policy) but because she is currently involved in a complaint against another person I felt it was best just to discuss it with her line manager.

We both decided to leave it for the time being as the situation is already tense. So it just frustrates me even more that other people are 'strirring up' more trouble and potentially dragging me into the middle of it - although I accept I shouldn't have made the comment about people locking their screens to my assistant!

Think I will let it go for the moment but start working from under my desk so I can cause any more trouble.
  • tattookitten
    tattookitten Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have to say that I've just had a HUGE showdown at work because I left something to fester, so I'd say leave it now but if something else happens make sure you sort it. I left my problem hoping it would go away and it didn't it snowballed because I didn't talk to anyone about it and people all got the wrong idea.

If your manager isn't concerned then that should be ok, but talk to him/her so they know whats going on incase something happens and you can say well I spoke to you about this.

Good luck!
Privacy Policy