How do you manage....

Monika01
Monika01 Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
HI,

I thought I just ask all you busy students how do you get on with your busy life like studying, full time working, bringing up childern and so on.....

Is there someone who is a AAT student, full time employed, bringing up childern, earning just an average salary (£40,000 for two people) with no grand parent around so you have to rely just on yourselves?

I am all that exept I do not have childern but want one. My issue is how am I going to manage to study, I do not want to give up the work and everything is so expensive and this is not getting any better.

I am organised person, hardworking and sophisticated but even this is not enough to be possitive about my future if I want to be a mother. I feel like I have to choose one or the other. Different story if I had money.

Any POSSITIVE reactions please.....

Monika

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Monika

I'm no longer studying, but hope that I can still give you advice! I'm a mother, albeit to 2 almost grownup children, I qualified in 2004 when I was working 4 days a week and on the fifth went to college.

First, it is possible to study, work and have a child. BUT is requires hard work and dedication from you as well as support from your partner/husband. There were people on my course who did all three - some were single parents, some young, some older. We had a couple of "births" whilst doing the course. Something has to give though - so you might find your social life is curbed for a while. If you have no family support you'll need a great childminder/nursery.

You don't have to choose one or the other. However, I would point out that having a baby is a life changing experience and you don't know how you are going to react to it! When I had my eldest daughter (she's now 21) I remember thinking I didn't want to work again - 11 months later I was back at work, although part-time. I would probably have gone back sooner, but my mother died, but that's another story! I'll also point out that just because you decide to go ahead and start that family it doesn't always happen immediately. :001_smile:

Hope this has been of help.
  • Monika01
    Thank you Jan

Hi Jan,

thank you for your possitive reply. But sometimes I feel like it is not possible as England is not very family friendly country.

You managed. I hope there are more people who can manage including me.

Thank you.
    Moni
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    But sometimes I feel like it is not possible as England is not very family friendly country.

You are quite right there, I noticed quite a difference in attitude when we took our (then) two small children on holiday to Europe. People over there adore seeing little ones, whereas here they are thought of as more of a nuisance when you try to take them out with you. Although some peoples children are so badly behaved they should be left at home - not alone though!!!

All the best for your future studies and family life.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    All of those apply to me although I only work part time and not full time (which also brings the household earnings down) ! My parents are both working (they had me quite young) and are not local. I qualified in 04 with AAT but i had a year off in 2003 as my son was born. After AAT I went straight on to ACCA and have managed ok so far.

I find that I have to do so much more at the weekends when my husband is about and the last 2 exams I've taken I had to study well into the evening (which I don't normally do).

It is managable but you do have to sacrifice things, some of the childrens activities had to still go ahead (such as swimming lessons) but I fitted everything around them - yes I was that person with their textbook open at the pool!

I found I was left out a bit at the weekends as my husband did things with the children to keep the house quiet and I was at home alone studying!

In conclusion, you will do it, I would expect to take some time off studying after having the baby as in my experience, I didn't want to sacrifice that time! Other than that - go for it!!
  • Smee
    Smee Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Hi Moni
    Everything is possible - my husband left me and two young children and I was a housewife at the time. I needed to work so became a dinner lady UGH!. I did that for a year and then found an accountancy position which needed the AAT qualification. My parents are not nearby but I should qualify if I have passed this year and it has been a rollercoaster of emotions. People will help if you ask - my friends babysat while I was at college on a rota system. Just remember babies sleep and thats when you study!! sod the housework and get hubby to cook!!! Good luck x
  • Marie-Clare
    Marie-Clare Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Hi

You can do it, I am. I work 4 days a week and go to college on the fifth. I have a daughter, a dog and a husband who is also studying an Engineering HND.

You need to be organised and accept that your house may be a bit messy, and sometimes you will eat rubbish for tea. Your family should support you and share in any household chores.

As long as you are organised and able to take the odd night off from going out and set aside plenty of time to study you will have no problems.

If I can do it anyone can! :thumbup:
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    I have found it hard going, but it is do-able. You have to get organised, I get up an hour earlier to get the housework/washing and ironing done so that the evenings are free to study/take kids to activities. I take my books to work and read them at lunch time, its not ideal but its nearly 4 hours a week study!!
  • Monika01
    Thank you everyone

I have to say that I feel more confident and possitive about my studies and future than before. It is so good that there is someone who works, brings up childern and study at the same time. I feel like you have to give up something but I also feel it is going to be worth it. Thank you for all your suggestions and possitive thoughts.

God bless to all of you who managed and hope you managed to make most of it.

Monika
  • princess246
    princess246 Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Moni

I'am a mum to a 14 month old boy and im in my last year of AAT, i wont lie it is hard and at present my life is on hold as all i ever do is study. I study in my lunch hours which is four hours then i try to organise and rotate my son around family so i can try and have a few hours spare to study.

It is possible if you're determined enough.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Don't panic. I am in the same boat as you.

It is entirely do-able as you take each module at your own pace.

Speegs
  • aatbabe
    aatbabe Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    I know exactlty how youy feel apart from I am only on £14500 for 4 people!! I am thinking positive though and plan to be a aself employed accountant within 5 years hopefully! xxx
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It is possible

But be prepaired that all the advise i can give you.

I myself was a single mother (teenage girl) working full time and studying in the evening it takes a lot out of you, also you have to remember not only time in college to study but also the same amount of time study at home.

Dont get me wrong it is possible, yes ive only just past certificate level but studied 5 GCSE's and 3 A-Levels in 18 months also.

But you have to remember something has to give like Jan said whether it be social life, love life or even sleep lol.

However, on the bright side do it now while your young and dont put it off otherwise you will never get back to it.

O and only on 13000 - but pay out will come soon :)

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbup1:
  • Monika01
    You all make me cry. Thank you all for your replies. Now I can see that it is possible to have babies and study at the same time. I am not scared to give up my social life because the days when I was out there and drunk and danced do not appeal to me any more anyway. Not sure how my boss would react if I announced that I was pregnant. But I suppose this is my right I may offer my employer to lounch a creache as we all in the company are ladies.

But thank you all for your possitive replies.
  • nicki78
    nicki78 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Hi

I am a single parent who works full-time and has to go to college on a Monday and Wednesday evening to study this course. Dont worry about whether you have enough time to study. I have been able to be a mother to a 10 year old go to work and study without feeling stressed. In fact i spend more quality time with my daughter since i have taken this course and hopefully when i get my results in a few weeks i will be able to continue with the ACCA. I am sure you will find the time to do everything that you want to do. Think Possitive.
Privacy Policy