Have just lost a whole day's work and want to cry..

JayneHogan
JayneHogan Registered Posts: 697 Epic contributor 🐘
I hate excel!:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Comments

• Baggybooks
    Baggybooks Registered Posts: 522 Epic contributor 🐘
    Eeeek!

How? Why?
  • JayneHogan
    Did not realise I had filtered spreasheet on three columns instead of two. Unfiltered two columns and thought that had lost work. In the end just started fillin in spreadsheet from scratch. Yawn!

Am trying to do reconciliations from stats and this is a real learning curve on spreadsheets. Technician level and does not know how to manipulate spreadsheets properly! This weekend I am going to sit down with a book on Excel and practice!

I cannot wait to get my own laptop as I hate using internet cafes which charge £££ and libraries which are never open when you need to get to your e-mail!!!

Radio stations doing competitions on laptops but I would not win anyway.

I want a Sony Vaio laptop in girlie pink!!!
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Back up

I would never work for a whole day on one spreadsheet without backing up.

You should get into the habbit of saving a file each time that you leave your work station for a break or If you know that you are going to be working on a document for a long period of time then set an egg timer next to you to go off say every half hour and save.

Excel also has an autosave facility that you may not be aware of as well

On the Tools menu, click Options.
    On the Save tab, select the Save AutoRecover info every check box.
    In the minutes box, type or select a number to specify the interval for how often you want to save files.
    The more frequently your files are saved, the more information is recovered if there is a power failure or similar problem while a file is open.

Poodle
  • JayneHogan
    Hi Poodle

Thanks for the tip. I HAD saved it. My manager was working on it with me and got me to filter three columns. I unfiltered two and when all my results did not come up I forgot to unfilter the third and thought I had lost all of my work. I hadn't. I just did not understand unfiltering columns.

However, I have learnt two things. One: handy tips from work colleagues or fellow AATers are worth a lot, Two: Learn Excel fast!
  • Burnsy
    Burnsy Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    You pick up Excel as you go along I have found. The mistakes help you to learn.
Privacy Policy