going self employed

Options
moneytree
moneytree Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
hi everyone, first time on here...
well, i am considering self employment and need a few pointers.
i've just finished my second year aat training and going on to the third in september. i work part time as the only bookkeeper for a family run building firm. basically i need to earn a bit more and am worried about the building trade in general. my ultimate goal is to work for myself, but i am pushing myself a bit earlier than planned!
so i guess i just need to know what i am letting myself in for and what i need to consider. any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
thanks x:thumbup:

Comments

• Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Moneytree

I'd recommend trying to find work with a Bookkeeping Bureau or Accountant first.

I've worked for small family Companies and large International Companies in their Accounts Departments. I also worked for a Bookkeeping Bureau before I went Self Employed and then part time for an Accountant when I first went Self Employed and I personally felt I needed that experience.

Sue
  • pinksponk
    pinksponk Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    self employment

I would reccommend getting a part time job in this field as well in the early days. It takes time to build up a business. And you will have access to infor and updates and advice from your employer.

This may help with your private clients
  • moneytree
    moneytree Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    thanks guys...
    my employer has asked me to produce the end of year accounts, my first 'real' year end stuff. anyway, our office is next to the accountants who will check it, so i will make sure i do an exceptional job, take it round myself and ask for feedback. if the feedback is good then i will suggest they employ me part time in addition to my current work, or hire me as self employed to work from home. what do you think. good plan??
    to be honest i would much rather start any business after my final year of aat, by which time both my kids will be in school.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    moneytree wrote: »
    thanks guys...
    our office is next to the accountants who will check it, so i will make sure i do an exceptional job, take it round myself and ask for feedback. if the feedback is good then i will suggest they employ me part time in addition to my current work, or hire me as self employed to work from home. what do you think. good plan??

First part very good idea getting professional feedback.

However going in and suggesting they employ you is not such a gd idea.

They may not have any vacancies and some accountants dont "hire" self employed people to work from home. you work in their office - unless management and thats a perk. Most self employed book keepers with accountants are not on the accountants payroll but rely on their customers to pay their salary.

By all means enquire if there is a job opportunity available and pass them your CV but dont just say, "i did a good job hire me", which may not have been intentional but the tone of your message was implied.
Privacy Policy