Technician Options

evil_defined
evil_defined Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
So not too sure what to pick, thinking of taking the easy option

Can anyone let me know which ones are easiest, or which ones will be more helpful to me ready for CIMA :)

Thanks

Comments

• Raging Pineapples
    Raging Pineapples Registered Posts: 110 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Do you have any kind of a plan? As in, what avenue of accounts you want to settle in?

For instance, my aim in doing AAT was to work as a part-time bookkeeper to support voluntary work I do. So obviously my choices had to marry up with that goal.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hey Evil Defined. I am afraid in the AAT there is no such thing as the easy option.:001_rolleyes:
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi,

If it's of any help im a cima student and reckon that business tax & cash & credit would be the most relevant if you are carryng on.

Difficulty wise as long as you put the revision in in order to feel confident, you shouldn't have too many problems :thumbup1:
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

I went on to CIMA after completing AAT, you get the same exemptions regardless of what AAT options you take - so it is very much up to you. You could look at it from the point of view of what you WONT cover on CIMA (so that you get a broader knowledge base) or you could look at it from the point of view of what you WILL cover on CIMA (to give you a good preparation).
      Audit Procedures - you don't cover much in the way of statutory audit in CIMA, but you do cover the issues and importance of internal audit and control at the Strategic stage.
      Cash Management - covers some of the areas that are covered in the CIMA P7 paper such as working capital control, cash flow, investment products and interest but is more basic
      Personal and Business Tax - very little tax in CIMA, mainly restricted to an understanding of the principles and taxation systems

With regards to what options are easiest, I cant really say as I only know the two I did (Audit and Cash Management). I chose those two not because I though they wer easier but because they were more flexible in that I could do the assessments when I wanted to.

Any questions, just ask.

Neil
  • Dee
    Dee Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Evil Defined
    I couldn't decide which options to take so I took all four! I did Audit and Cash Management through the college and the PTC and BTC as home study. I found the tax exams easier as I enjoy the maths side of accountancy rather than the theory side. Cash Management wasn't too bad but I really struggled with the Audit simulation because it was all theory. Apparently the exemptions are all the same whichever subjects you pick so I would suggest you pick the ones you have the most interest in.
  • mehmet
    mehmet Registered Posts: 113 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    To pick up on something Dee said, the exemptions for ACCA and CIMA are the same regardless of what you choose, but it works differently for anyone moving on to ACA. I know the original poster outlined he's intending to do CIMA, but just in case for anyone else reading this.

Personal Tax is quite a good option as chances are you'll have some basic knowledge of the UK tax system. You'll probably have heard of things like "personal allowance", "tax bands/rates"(especially after this year's lower rate abolishment) through the media, so it won't be completely alien to you.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    We wouldn't take AAT if there was an easy option! We like the challenge :001_smile:

It all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to become part of an audit firm there is no point doing personal tax you are better off with auditing procedures. Like waise if you want to be self employed it is better to cover taxation as that would be a gd element to broaden your horizons.
Privacy Policy