Help Needed - Home Study

Options
Georgiad
Georgiad Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
I have completed the foundation and intermediate levels at college, but am now trying to do the technician stage as home study. My problem is getting motivated to do it. I work in a financial environment and my manager when at work is supportive, but the key words are "when at work". She has asked that a member of staff that I don't get on with to help me. This ensures that I produce something for her to look at, but it is not ensuring that I learn anything. I am currently using BPP home study pack, but as answers are in the back of the book, I can check them without fully understanding the concept. I am completely frustrated and fed up with myself, because i want to do this but cannot find the get up and go to do it! Someone please help!:crying:

Comments

• Kirstie
    Kirstie Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Dear Georgiad,

I'm currently working on my last unit of this stage, which I've done by distance learning / home study, so might be able to help with some of your issues…

Motivation
    This can be one of the more difficult aspects of home study but don’t worry - it gets easier!

Whats your purpose of doing this level? Do you enjoy it? Is it part of a bigger objective? Having a clear understanding of why you’re doing it should help to actually do it. Make a list of all the benefits and remind yourself of them when you can’t get going.

Set yourself achievable goals, and break them down - e.g. the unit by October, chapter x for next week, task x by Monday night and so on. You’ll find satisfaction in meeting these goals, or perhaps even doing better, that gives you a push to carry on. If not, try rewarding yourself for meeting those goals.

Also, you've probably heard it 100 times, but try to find your best time for studying and re-arrange your other committments round it if you can. If you're trying to study when you've got other things to do you'll end up thinking about everything else and not working productively.

Working with someone you don’t get on with
    This is very common unfortunately, and you’ll probably have to work with many people you don’t see eye-to-eye with throughout your life. Try to put aside personal feelings, or find something good about him/her and focus on that. Alternatively, is there an underlying problem - do they have a lot on and resent being asked to help you? If so, speak to your manager next time they’re available and explain the circumstances; they may be able to assign someone else.

Also, ask yourself if you do actually need to speak to them. Can you find out the information from somewhere else? Can you speak to someone at BPP? Have you looked at other text books or on this forum? I’ve used both Osborne and Kaplan books for this level - both of which were miles better than the study material provided by my previous distance learning provider.

Understanding the work
    All your issues are interrelated so the above suggestions should help this part also. Re-read any parts of the text you don’t understand, or try using different text books as suggested earlier. Also, always give 100% effort when you’re attempting the tasks. Only then should you look at the answer. If you still don’t understand the concept note the question down but don’t dwell on it - move on to the next task. At the end of the chapter go back to the parts you’ve noted down - do they make sense now? Sometimes one part helps you to understand another. If some bits still don't make sense, you should then approach your manager or other member of staff. If you actively show that you’re giving your best effort, they’re more likely to want to help you.

Last but not least, home study is not for everyone. If you’re really struggling perhaps block release or night classes would be better suited to you - either way, you should probably speak to your manager. Give them a copy of your post and this reply if you’re worried about how to approach them. They might disagree with everything I’ve suggested but at least it‘ll give you the opportunity to discuss matters properly. If they’ve had other students through the company they’ll probably have had this situation before and will be able to advise you much better than I can!

Good luck!
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I would say pretty much the same things. The best thing to do, I think, is to break it down. I'm just started Tech as distance learning too, and when i sit down to it, i just focus on getting through x many pages, or to the end of the chapter. I only work for an hour or two, then go back downstairs (i work in the bedroom, its the most quiet place in the house), and i know that my b/f will congratulate me for doing my bit that night. He knows nothing about AAT, but knows that i really need encouragment and gives it as much as possible.
    Bite-size chunks, is the best way to go. And remember what you wanted to achieve in the end.

What units are you studying? How many exams?
    I'm sitting PEV and PCR in Dec, hoping for DFS and some options in June, depending on which i decide to do.
    Good luck with it
  • aatbabe
    aatbabe Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Well at least I'm not alone!! I done foundation, intermediate and half of techncian at College, unfortunately my college weren't offering auditing so I am completing that, my project & DFS via home study. I am going to try and book out so many hours each week and stick to it, chapter by chapter. At least we are all here to support each other.

:001_tt2::001_smile::001_tt2:
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    aatbabe wrote: »
    I done foundation, intermediate and half of techncian at College, unfortunately my college weren't offering auditing

I noticed that too. Apart from not having a college near me that offers Tech level at all, the ones that do only offer PTC and BTC as options, but i want to do Audit and Cash Managemetn, so i'm doing the whole lot at home.
    I reckon i've got a month's headstart on those studying at college, and if i give myself about 6 - 8 hours a week at it in the evening, i'll do ok.
    Here's hoping.:thumbup1:
  • Ffoxylady
    Ffoxylady Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Home Study

Hi there
    was interested in your post regarding Home Study

I was wondering with this choice how do you take the exams ? Do you have to register with a local college or is there a central exam centre where the exams are sit

cheers

Ffoxy
  • Kirstie
    Kirstie Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    There are various colleges / centres throughout the country that allow external (home study) students to sit their exams there. You choose which centre you want to sit your exam at when booking that particular exam.

Quick word of advice - if you there is a training centre (e.g. Kaplan) nearby I would choose that over a college; I sat my last 2 exams in a college and really struggled to concentrate with people running about and shouting right outside my room. Also, not all centres / colleges that offer the AAT course will take external students for exams - my nearest one was 250 miles away!

Some of the units, such as auditing, can be done at work under exam conditions, with your manager or similar supervising you.
  • Georgiad
    Georgiad Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Kirstie wrote: »
    There are various colleges / centres throughout the country that allow external (home study) students to sit their exams there. You choose which centre you want to sit your exam at when booking that particular exam.

Quick word of advice - if you there is a training centre (e.g. Kaplan) nearby I would choose that over a college; I sat my last 2 exams in a college and really struggled to concentrate with people running about and shouting right outside my room. Also, not all centres / colleges that offer the AAT course will take external students for exams - my nearest one was 250 miles away!

Some of the units, such as auditing, can be done at work under exam conditions, with your manager or similar supervising you.
    Thanks to all of you that took the time to reply to my post. Kirstie's response has given me a list of things to work through. The overall advice is to take it in bite size chunks so will give this a go. Completing the AAT is part of the bigger picture for me, in that it will help me to progress careerwise and also allow me to prove that I can achieve my goals.
Privacy Policy