Starting Up Taking in Book Keeping etc

JANE B
JANE B Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
Does the AAT provide any guidebook/information about starting doing some self employed work. I wouldn't be looking at tax or anything complicated, just simple preparation of accounts, maybe some secretarial work etc. I am not a very confident person and wouldn't know where to start, i.e. advertising, what to charge etc. Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

Comments

• edkav
    edkav Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    If you do a search on "starting up" or such like, you will find lots of helpful information etc. in these forums.

I have a regular ad in the local free paper and it has been the best way of advertising and how I have obtained most of my clients. I tried leaflet distribution, shop windows, letters to local businesses etc.. and none of these gave me much back!

Good luck!
    Edwina
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Jane

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you based? What sort of thing(s) are you looking to do???

Please send me an email: claudia.lowe@btinternet.com

I may be able to help you out.....

Claudia
    10110527 Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    I put my business on 'freeindex' - within a few weeks I was third on Google in my area; this has brought in a nice number of clients at no cost! I've tried the local freebies but with very little success.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi :)

Check out the Accounts and Finance section of UKBF, they're really helpful and you'll probably get some good tips there.

Local advertising is much better than national. Don't bother paying for Yellow Pages but do get a free line entry.

Bookkeeping should be around £15-25 an hour depending on the market where you're based.

Good luck! :)
  • JANE B
    JANE B Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies - Jane:001_smile:
  • pussycat58
    pussycat58 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Cheers folks

got some good tips for myself, will try out

Thanks
Privacy Policy