Fmaat?

T.C.
T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I have received an email about becoming a fellow member. Should I apply? Why should I apply? Comments welcome.

Comments

• DaveP
    DaveP Registered Posts: 79 Regular contributor ⭐
    It's more letters after your name..!

;)
  • LouiseR
    LouiseR Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    I've received one too, yes any comments would be appreciated
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I believe you can sign passports once you are an FMAAT.

It show you have five years work experience after passing AAT.

Can I ask when you qualified as I've calculated I should be able to apply to be a Fellow Member this year, but I haven't received an email from AAT yet?
  • LouiseR
    I qualified in 2000 but I did get a notification a few years ago aswell but I decided not to register then, can't remember why now!

I think I will go for fmaat, as I'm registering for MIP aswell, might give me more standing :001_unsure:
  • DaveP
    DaveP Registered Posts: 79 Regular contributor ⭐
    Can't see the benefit myself.

I have looked through AATs website to see what the advantage is but the only thing listed is the ability to sign a passport.

To be honest, I've signed a number of passport applications without the F word so I think they need to find a new selling point!!
  • Sue
    Louise

If you are registering to become an MIP it would be worth looking into becoming a Fellow Member before you leave employed work (assuming you are employed) otherwise you have to ask an Accountant that knows of your work.

Sue
  • T.C.
    So basically then no real benefits - just an extra cost for me ....and an extra letter!?! :001_unsure:
  • Sue
    I don't think there are any benefits.

The reason why I will apply is because I'm Self Employed and it shows Accountants that I contact looking for work that I have 5 years experience since Qualifying.
  • LouiseR
    Thanks Sue, that was my thinking too.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I thought you also had to have 5 years experience in managing people as well.
    Or am I remembering wrong? :huh:
  • T.C.
    Perhaps AAT need to think up a few more benefits to entice us in then! :thumbup1:
  • pussycat58
    pussycat58 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Hi TC

you do get reconised at their awards do. ive been twice as I hadn't got my membership the first time. you know they really do put on fantastic do's.

but seriously it does make you look more qualified on paper which of course you are.

I wasn't aware there was an additional fee. If there is then i guess it comes down to a personal cost/benefit trade off .

cheers
    Josie
  • Sue
    Hi Josie

The down side of the AAT putting on fantastic do's are that some of us are too far away to be able to get to them, yet we are still having to pay for them with our Annual Subscriptions.

Sie
  • pussycat58
    pussycat58 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Hi Sue,

I can see how that may be difficult for some, if you don't drive or own a car.

But I find the venues are usually in cities of interest, York Nottingham London ect. and near the weekend, so me and my hubby usually find a cheap hotel and make a weekend outing of it!

But then we are hedonistic travel freaks, i can appreciate it doesn't appeal to everyone:001_tt2:
  • Sue
    Hi Louise

If you are still considering applying for your Fellow Membership now would be a good time as the AAT are currently waiving the £45.00 application fee for Members in Practice.

Sue
  • T.C.
    Oh right - thanks for that!
  • LouiseR
    Thanks Sue
Privacy Policy