AAT to ACCA query

yellow_harley
yellow_harley Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor โญ
I am currently awaiting results for my final two tax papers, and have signed up to ACCA. If I was to fail one of my papers, would I be able to take some ACCA papers anyway?
ยซ1

Comments

• Owainap
    Owainap Registered Posts: 23 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    No - assuming that you are claiming exemptions, you may only proceed to F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 once you have attempted (or received exemptions from) F1 F2 and F3. Therefore, unless you wanted to attempt all three knowledge exams and then one skills exam (maximum 4 per sitting) then you'd be better off waiting for the re-sit results and with first ACCA exams in June 2009.

I'm in the same boat, except I'm waiting for PEV BTC DFS and PCR results!

I did however receive my subscriptions letter which said "having completed the AAT qualification you are now an affiliate member" - I dont know what to read into this! Did you get the same?
  • leegareththomas
    leegareththomas Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Owainap as you got that letter it looks like you have passed. One way that might also let you know early is to log in to "My AAT" and click on the "members" section (not student) then click on apply for full membership. If it allows you to apply it means that you have been awarded the level 4 qualification. if it does not and says the following below it means that you have not yet been awarded level 4 and will have to wait for your results. not sure if it will work but you might as well give it a try.

If you have not yet been awarded level 4 it will say the following: -

Application for AAT full membership

You need to have achieved level 4 of the AAT Accounting Qualification in order to apply for AAT full membership. However, you can still nominate your professional referee* and submit your work experience now in preparation for when you do have the qualification.

Nominate your professional referee
    Submit your work experience
  • leegareththomas
    When did you get the letter?
  • pinksponk
    pinksponk Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor โญ
    Letter regarding "affiliate member

I also got this letter on 8th August. It says "Having completed your AAT Accounting Qualification, you are now an affiliate member etc etc"

I am waiting for results like every one else.

I don't know whether to read anything in to it or not. Fingers crossed.
  • Owainap
    I got the letter last monday for subscriptions due 1st October. I have been checking myAAT and nothing yet! Trying not to read into it too much - but it's quite difficult not to really - as far as I'm concerned, you're not an affiliate member until you have passed all of your exams...

It would be interesting to know if anyone who is awaiting final results didn't get this sentence - well, interesting for me I suppose, not for them! :confused1:
  • leegareththomas
    Well is sounds good so keep your fingers crossed:thumbup1: I have not had a letter yet but i should get one soon so i will let you know what mine says. Just Q but what fees are they charging you?
  • Owainap
    It's charging a student fee - ยฃ69, and my understanding is that you pay the student m'ship, then a top-up fee with your full m'ship application. I dont know what the affiliat m'ship fee is though - the same?
  • leegareththomas
    Yeah just looked they charge the same for both
  • Owainap
    Yes, just seen it, and a ยฃ45 "application fee" payable with full membership application, or ยฃ30 withing 3 months of completing qualification - conveniently brining it up to the ยฃ109 annual subscription for full members - fancy that!!!
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Owainap

Where did you go on the website to see about applying.

I am waiting for my results as well but have not received any letters from the AAT yet.

Has anyone else seen this letter?

Ta

Speegs
  • Owainap
    I think you need a myAAT account, and can either access it by the myAAT homepage on the left hand side, or click to the members section and click on the link by the scary looking woman in purple!

pinksponk has had this letter too, and two others in my work, also awaiting finals results. You will only receive this letter if your subscription is up for renewal in October i think, and that depends on when you first registered.
  • speegs
    I have paid all my fees and I have a myAAT account.

I am only waiting on my PTC results. I will be gutted if I have failed as I found this paper really easy and I worked so hard.

Did you all get your letters on the same day?

:(

Speegs
  • Owainap
    It's not letting me apply for full membership either, the only indication that i have to say that i have passed is that one sentence in the subscription letter - this could just be an error. I'm still going to be just as nervous when i check my results.

Just so there is no confusion - I have not received any form of official notification that I have passed all of my exams.
  • Owainap
    Yes all letters on the same day - but we all applied for student m'ship at the same time too - we at work got them on the 11th, but pinksponk says the 8th
  • speegs
    Oh - I am sooo nervous now.

Well we will find out soon enough. It's just that I am one of those people who has never failed anything. So I would be really upset if I failed on my last exam.

Assuming all is good for you on Tuesday, well done :thumbup1:

Speegs
  • Owainap
    I've never failed anything either, but i feel like I came close in december with PTC, and feel nervous about PCR this time round!

All the best
  • speegs
    Hi again Owainap

Were you apply to do a membership application online when you looked. Or did it just go on about nominating a professional referree and submitting work experience?

Ta

Speegs
  • speegs
    Also I thought you said your letter said you had completed your AAT.

Still worried:confused1:

Speegs
  • Owainap
    speegs

I have been able to submit work experience and a reference, but not full m'ship application yet.

As for the letter, it said "having completed the AAT qualification you are now an affiliate member...". I can't possibly tell if this is a standard sentence or specific to those that have passed, but at the end of the day, if you haven't received a letter at all, then you shouldn't expect to see this.
  • speegs
    MMmmmmm. That is very true. Thanks I will try to stop panicing now.

Good luck for Tuesday.:thumbup:

Thanks

Speegs
  • *Sarah*
    *Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Eek wish I hadn't read this thread now coz I did get an affiliate member letter either :-(
  • speegs
    Hey Everyone we can all stop panicing now. I rang the AAT on Friday and they said that 800 letters were sent out in error and to assume nothing from receiving or not receiving one.
  • *Sarah*
    *Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    speegs wrote: ยป
    Hey Everyone we can all stop panicing now. I rang the AAT on Friday and they said that 800 letters were sent out in error and to assume nothing from receiving or not receiving one.

Phew, thanks for doing that Speegs, I had been really worried! Can stop with the big panic now!!

I'm hoping the results will come tomorrow evening, the suspense is killing me. Off on holiday on Wednesday so fingers crossed it's good news

Good luck everyone, post on here how you got on :-)
  • Poppy
    Poppy Registered Posts: 105 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Affiliation Letter

Glad some one rang up and checked as have spent the last 24 hours going through any correspondence I've had from AAT wondering if I should read anything into it.

Can't wait to know and it seems to be dragging on, tomorrow at work is going to be horrendous. Have already warned the boss if I don't pass I won't be in the following day and best not to call me as I will be sulking on the settee!!!

Good luck to everyone :001_smile:
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    i have too received the letter about being a affilate member but im not able to apply for full membership yet, maybe thats a bad sign may be not who knows, hopefully find out tomorrow.

lor
  • Sully786
    Sully786 Registered Posts: 9 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    AAT to ACCA

Hi

I think you can sit in ACCA exam if you have still not completed all your AAT Level 4. I am waiting for my PCR, PEV, PTC and BTC results. I went to oldham college to enrole and teacher down there told me that you will be taking paper F6 despite of not completing AAT. Teacher says you must complete AAT before february2009 to get exemption. otherwise we have to do all exam papers.

I hope you all find it useful. It would be better if you ask your college or university when you enrole for ACCA.

Thanx every body and good luck with tomorrow's exam results. I hope we all pass.
  • Owainap
    Sounds like that would be to sit the exam in June 2009.

I'm planning on sitting F4 & F7 in December, then F5 & F6 in June, in my case I can only sit exams in December if I pass this time round - not long to go now! :001_unsure:
  • lulu5779
    lulu5779 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Sorry but the first reply is wrong! Exemption from F1, F2 and F3 is based purely on paper for paper you need both costing (PEV and PCR) is one expemption, either Tax Paper (only PTC or BTC) is another and your project is the last one! Nothing else counts some colleges don't even done BTC or DFS as there are extra options so it wouldn't be fair.

So if you pass only one tax and everything else is up to date you can progress to stage 2 of ACCA.
  • Owainap
    Where do you get that information from lulu? I have always been told that you must have completed Technician Level in full before exemptions will be allowed from F1, F2 & F3 regardless of options taken.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Sully 786 is right, exemptions from F1, 2 and 3 are for full technician. If someone doesn't complete technician, you won't get the exemptions and wouldn't be able to take a December paper without paying for the first three papers and not sitting them, which is a bit of a waste of money.

If you're not sitting a paper until June, you can pass in the December sitting and get your exemptions for the June session.

A word of warning, having exemptions means you still pay an exam fee for each paper - you just don't have to sit them so it still costs the same!

Also you don't have to have done a tax paper to get exemptions because there is no tax in F1, 2 and 3. You don't get any exemption from the tax paper at all (F6).
Privacy Policy