What exactly am I now I've passed Technician stage?

AAT 123
AAT 123 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,

I just got results through and past all sections at the first time of asking.

When telling the few people I have told now one asked so what does it now mean for me and what am I now? The answer is that I am not really sure.

Obviously I can call myself a MAAT when I register for full membership and I am going to register as a MIP but what am I now, how do I introduce myself when people ask, as an accountant? an accounting technician or something else?

How highly regarded is my (and many others) new found professional status as I am going to look to obtain my own clients and want to be confident about my qualification?

It may seem that I do not know very much about the qualification I have just finished and it's true I do not however at the same time the tutors never really explained this to us in detail so I don't expect myself to.

Any help is appreciated?

Comments

• peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    First of all congratulations on your results. I bet you're well chuffed!!

You are now a qualified accounting technician and have got a prestigious qualification under your belt which is highly regarded by employers and which is becoming more and more recognised.

You should be extremely proud of yourself.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • AAT 123
    AAT 123 Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Hi Steve, thanks very much I am chuffed.

So when people ask what I do am I an accounting technician rather than an accountant, I am fully aware I am nowhere near a chartered accountant but am not sure that anyone (including myself) knows what an accounting technician is?

Cheers!
  • peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi,

This often gets debated on here but I know accounting technicians that call themselves accountants, and that's what they are and that's what they do. I used to say I'm an accountant when I was AAT qualified before I got ACCA and I don't think anyone really minds. There are people that say an AAT qualified isn't "strictly" an accountant - but I, personally, don't think it makes any difference. The AAT qualification is an accountancy qualification in its own right and if you do the job of an accountant, that is what you should call yourself.

Best wishes for the future.

Steve
Privacy Policy