Options For AAT Technician

clazaridis
clazaridis Registered Posts: 30 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,
I got my results last night and can't believe i passed!!!

I'm not wondering what options to take but didn't really understand when they explained at my college what i could take and how many units you had to study??

Can somebody explain to me what i need to take as compulsary units and what/how many units are options??

Thanks
Claire

PS well done to everyone who passed!! :laugh:

Comments

• Josedinho
    Josedinho Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Units 8,9,10,11 you have to do.
    8,9,11 are exams
    10 is your project

You have to choose 2 from
    15,17 are skills test/simulations
    18,19 are exams

I'm pretty sure that is right but somebody will correct me if its wrong i'm sure.
    Do you plan to study anything after AAT as some qualifications will give you exemptions depending on what units you take.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Technician Units

I have just signed up for Technician Level, so to help:

5 Compulsory Units are:
    Unit 8 (PEV) Contributing to the management of performance and the enhancement of value (EXAM)

Unit 9 (PCR) Contributing to the planning and control of resources (EXAM)

Unit 11 (DFS) Drafting Financial Statements (EXAM)

Unit 10 Managing Accounting Systems (PROJECT)

Unit 22 Health and Safety (You've probably already done this!)

4 Optional Units are:

Unit 15 Operating a cash management and credit control system (SKILLS TEST)

Unit 17 Implementing auditing procedures (SKILLS TEST)

Unit 18 (BTC) Business Tax (EXAM)

Unit 19 (PTC) Personal Tax (EXAM)

You need to choose at least 2 from the optional units. (Although you can choose more). To help you decide; if you are going to continue studying at a higher lever to become Chartered then look at the route you wish to follow and see which options can be credited to your future studies.

I have actually chosen three of the optional units (2 x tax and audit). Ultimately, I felt these would be more useful to me and as audit isn't exam based I considered it would be marginally less stressful!!!!!

It very much depends on what you want to do with the qualification when you have finished; are you in industry or private practice, this is also quite significant to your decision.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • clazaridis
    Thanks for that, made it much more simple to understand!

I plan to go onto CIMA so that would be my next question would i have to complete any units in particular to be accepted onto CIMA?
  • clazaridis
    anniem wrote: »
    I have just signed up for Technician Level, so to help:

5 Compulsory Units are:
    Unit 8 (PEV) Contributing to the management of performance and the enhancement of value (EXAM)

Unit 9 (PCR) Contributing to the planning and control of resources (EXAM)

Unit 11 (DFS) Drafting Financial Statements (EXAM)

Unit 10 Managing Accounting Systems (PROJECT)

Unit 22 Health and Safety (You've probably already done this!)

4 Optional Units are:

Unit 15 Operating a cash management and credit control system (SKILLS TEST)

Unit 17 Implementing auditing procedures (SKILLS TEST)

Unit 18 (BTC) Business Tax (EXAM)

Unit 19 (PTC) Personal Tax (EXAM)

You need to choose at least 2 from the optional units. (Although you can choose more). To help you decide; if you are going to continue studying at a higher lever to become Chartered then look at the route you wish to follow and see which options can be credited to your future studies.

I have actually chosen three of the optional units (2 x tax and audit). Ultimately, I felt these would be more useful to me and as audit isn't exam based I considered it would be marginally less stressful!!!!!

It very much depends on what you want to do with the qualification when you have finished; are you in industry or private practice, this is also quite significant to your decision.
    I'm in industry, i don't want to work in practice i prefer working as i am doing accounts solely for the business i work for.....
  • anniem
    Log onto the Cima website - here is the link through the AAT Website on the student page.

http://www.aat.org.uk/students/cima/

Have a look carefully and see which units give you exemptions against the Cima syllabus and take those units. You might decide that you need to take business tax, but you don't have to do personal tax, but the Cima training schedule will help you decide.

Also, if you are continuing your training you can be an affiliate member of the AAT and take advantage of reduced AAT membership fees, once you complete Technician level. :thumbup:
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hello,

Im a cima student and don't think there are any specific modules that you would have to take. As suggested above you might find that Personal Tax would be the least relevant if carrying on, personally I took Business Tax and Cash/Credit as i prefer the number style units.

Good luck whatever you decide
  • mona
    mona Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    hi there,
    i have succesfuly finished my advanced certificate level and now having difficulties to decide what optional units to choose from the list.
    I have made up my mind about audit as it is simulation tested and sounds less tressful..:) , but can not decide on personal or business taxation...
    Can anybody tell me which one is more easier and which one would bring better credit to my cv, as i still haven't found a job in accounting...???
    Thaks :001_smile:
  • clazaridis
    Hi Crispy,

I found i really struggled with FRA stuff but really enjoyed the ECR units. so would that mean that i would be better doing the number stuff like yourself?

Thanks, i'm just sooo confused!!
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hello,

I think the tax unit will be like learning a completely new subject - but if you are solid with numbers I really can't see you having too many problems with it - have a look at the past exams to get an idea. Business tax appears (only in a small amount) in cima paper p7, cash&credit appears in p1 & p7.

If you are just about to start the tech. year one piece of advice i would give is to get on and do the project. I hated writing it but just gritted teeth and got on with it - it feels much better revising for the exams without having to worry about it in the background.

Good Luck :thumbup1:
  • George Tse
    George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    you would enjoy the business tax units if u enjoyed FRA cos there are pro-forma that u have to remember ! ...
  • clazaridis
    My problem was that i completed foundation in 2004, i then moved jobs and didn't go onto intermediate until obviously last September! I struggled soooo much with FRA as i couldn't remember anything from foundation about double entry! I didn't think i'd remember the layout for the balance sheet etc but i must have done as i wouldn't have passed surely?! I've spoken to someone else who has done technician and he said that i should be ok if i found ECR quite easy to do the business tax unit.....
    I think why i took to ECR so well was because i'm more a business orientated person rather than pure accounts, i can see the logic in ECR where as FRA i find pointless and don't find it logical?! just totally mashes my brain! Must just be how my mind works!
    Think i'm going to have a word with my tutor on enrolment evening next week, see what she says!
    Thanks for the comments and advise!
  • anniem
    My theory is just do as much as you can - as long as it's included in the price!!!!!

Two reasons: it looks good on your CV and it means that you have already paid for the course and have it covered.

I believe in the 'Law of Sod' which might suggest that if you opt to miss out on either of the tax options now, you might end up paying for another course further down the road.

Also, I think why not do as many exam based subjects as they all bear testament to your own determination to succeed? Strength of character, etc. I really do think exams passed reflect well on your CV for a long time to come!

Yes, it'll be damn hard work in the short term, but I think it's worth the effort to have the diversity up your sleeve!

Go on, go for it!
Privacy Policy