Jobs????!!!!

Raj_1987
Raj_1987 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
HI Everyone

Can neone give me some advice for gettings a accounts jobs with very little experience in accounts. I ve joined up with a few agencies but there are shocking and not producing nething at all.
I am currently in my second year of AAT and seem to getting no where in the job section!!!

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I really wouldn't bother with agencies if I was you. I was in the same boat and found the best thing to do was to apply to jobs in the paper and speak to the firms directly. That way you can explain what you want and they can tell you what they want without an overimaginative recruitment consultant getting involved.

I wasted so much time trailing to interviews I wasn't qualified for or were for office junior roles going via agencies it wasn't true. Its quality not quantity, you are better off going to 2 or 3 interviews that are for suitable jobs than 10 that aren't I think. It does take a little longer but I think its worth it.
  • ms-nee-nee
    ms-nee-nee Registered Posts: 24 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    HI Everyone

Can neone give me some advice for gettings a accounts jobs with very little experience in accounts. I ve joined up with a few agencies but there are shocking and not producing nething at all.
    I am currently in my second year of AAT and seem to getting no where in the job section!!!
    hi there

have you tried going to practices in your area and asking them to let you work for them on a voluntary basis????

Agencies are no help when you have no experience as most turn you away and say come back when you have experience. They're even more useless when you have experience,, as they register but there's no result!!!

I myself worked on a voluntary basis in a firm for 5 months after that i was taken on as a paid employee.

Good luck with the job hunt.

naz
  • bigfoot
    bigfoot Registered Posts: 19 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I know its hard, the experience trap. I think the government needs to do more to help first jobbers by offering some kind of incentives to the employers because its very hard even when you have all the skills and the people who have the jobs couldnt even do double entry book-keeping.

and often they are usualy women and therefore it helps to be a woman i beleive.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    raj 1987 , join the club ...... im in my 3 year now been trying for 18 months joined 5 agencies and had nothing ....so now im going for myself with spam letters to accountants in my area....but good luck anyway
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I found a job a year ago that prefered someone with experience through the job centre. I dropped the company an email even though all i had was a levels in business studies accounts and ict. I hadn't even got my results when had the interview and got the job there and then. i think if you go to accountancy practices they are a lot more stricter but with less room for growth. the job will also be repetitive and you won't hav much to say when you move on. I work with one other person in the accounts department for a window and door firm. I see a lot more different things and my dad says it's a better career choice to start with if you want to get to FD roles. Of course it brings more challenges but that keeps it exciting. I never have a dull day.

All I'm saying is think outside the box as there are more than accountancy practices that want people
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Don't give up looking! I sent my CV to a company back in May as I had been told they had some staff going on maternity leave, but hadn't heard any more from the company. Last week I decided to give them an update on my exam results and my future plans, they phoned me straight away, I had an interview the next day and have been given a job! Yes, it's part-time, but that is what I wanted. At the moment I can't do what they want, but have been told they hire on attitude and train for skills.

Ultimately, I don't have all the skills, I know that - that's why I am paying to do AAT! I haven't gone to a company looking for them to fund my studies - I have a secretarial/administrative background, so I feel that I can offer plenty of flexibility in any office environment. I went in with a positive 'can-do' attitude and I'm eager to learn, it worked. I have been honest and told them that when I pass Technician I will need somebody to validate my application for membership, which is another reason that I needed a position.

I realise I'm very lucky, but my email update to the company arrived at a busy time in their office, so I think that in my case just the timing of my email was fortunate.

I have to say that I'm thrilled! :thumbup:

If you're looking don't just give up. What may not work this week could work next week - keep trying!

GOOD LUCK.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Raj_1987
    Raj_1987 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Thanks guys for the replies!!!! A lot of help!!!1:thumbup1:
Privacy Policy