MIPs with practice experience

Options
lmiddleham
lmiddleham Registered Posts: 71 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi everyone.

I'm just curious as to how many of the people who now run their own practice, how many of you worked in practice before hand?

I ask because I've just passed my AAT exams and going self employed is something I've considered, even if just a small amount of work.

However I've always worked in business rather than practice, firstly in Sales Ledger, and then as a Purchase Ledger Supervisor.

would this make it harder to become self employed as I've no experience in practice?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    No problem. I have been a self-employed member for about 10 years now. I had no practice experience. I only had office experience. I trained whilst my son was young and went straight into working for myself from home.
  • DaveP
    DaveP Registered Posts: 79 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Yeh, go for it.

Who needs experience? You will get that as you go along. If you make a few mistakes along the way, so be it. I'm sure your fee-paying clients won't mind.
  • lmiddleham
    lmiddleham Registered Posts: 71 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks for that, that's encouraging, I'll definately bear it in mind.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    The trick to starting in practice with little experience is not to get in over your head. You have to accept that you will start small and slow. Having someone experienced at the end of the phone (for free if you're lucky or paid if you're not) is invaluable and, I would suggest, essential.
    If you can't get experience elsewhere, then it is possible but know your limitations and don't bite off more than you can chew.

Best of luck :)
Privacy Policy