Technician Level

Esme
Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
I am doing my intermediate now so am just thinking ahead..

How long does the technican level usually take? I have heard that you can do it in 6 months?

If you are study by long distance can you start technician before you receive your intermediate result?

:lol:

Comments

• stevo1
    stevo1 Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    You could do it in 6 mths, however you'd need to do a lot of work!

Hindsight is great, I think I could have done it in 6 mths but as the Dec exams are in the first week of the month (ie month end) I was forced to take only 2 as our office had too many people out for other exams....

If you've got a good work ethic and work/life balance then there's no reason why you couldn't do it in 6 mths, it's all pretty straightforward!
  • Debz
    Debz Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Technician level

I think if you looking at things from a realisitic point of view it would take a year. The project is likely to take a good couple of months at best! You can study the technician without intermediate result but you can't take any of the exams until you know you've passed.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    I did Technician in three sittings. That is I took DFS in June 07, MAC in Dec 07 and then PTC in June 08. I passed everything first time so I was lucky. I have friends who took more than one exam per sitting and nearly all of them failed at least one paper. I admit I did my exams the slow way, but I would say a year is a good target. Having said all that, there are many other people out there who have succeeded in all of their exams in one sitting. I guess it depends on whether you have a family to look after and/ or a full time job.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    I'd advise aiming for at least a year - as Debz says, the project will take a couple of months and when you add DFS, PEV and PCR, plus 2 optional units, 6 months would leave you very little work time, let alone social life! I've done the course in 12 months, including PTC and BTC (so 5 exams in total) and although I was comfortable throughout, trying to do the 5 exams in one sitting and after just 3 months learning would've been impossible.

Also, bear in mind that for distance learning you need to have any simulations and your project marked; from what I've heard these can take a while so you could be held up by the college if you tried to rush it through. If you take the extra time, that won't be a problem and it will certainly increase your chances in the exam room!

Good luck for the rest of your Intermediate and the Technician levels!
Privacy Policy