Manchester Revision weekend 1st 2nd November

Options
SandyHood
SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
I have received a number of requests to run revision classes in Manchester for MAC, PEV and PCR in preparation for the December 2008 exams. I am looking to team up with Peugeot

I will run the Saturday session addressing PEV and MAC
Peugeot will run the Sunday session addressing DFS

If there is sufficient interest I can also run a Sunday class at the same time as DFS. This would be PCR.

The plan is as follows:

Saturday MAC/PEV ............Sunday DFS............Mond..........Location
01 November 2008 ......... 02 November 2008.......... BH ........ Manchester

As an indication, for anyone seeing this for the first time
I put a limit of 12 on each day, so classes are small. (In exceptional circumstances this might be allowed to increase to 14)

The format of each day is 4 sessions of approx 1¼ hrs. These run from 9.30 to 4.00 (possibly 4.30)
We look at all aspects of the syllabus focusing on the needs of the exam.

We use practice questions, not necessarily past exam questions. This can help us to try to master the subject matter and ultimately pass the exam. We also address a key point of how to present the answers. Over the years examiners have criticised candidates for not showing their workings clearly. Using certain formats the workings can be more obvious and it can be easier for the marker to give you credit. This can make a significant difference in your overall results as wrong answers that do not have obvious workings would tend to earn few, if any, marks.

Cost is £100 per day (although fees for very small groups may have to be raised to make the day viable)
I will always keep you up to date as far as developments with any courses.

If you are interested, please email me
sandy.hood@chichester.ac.uk
Sandy
sandy@sandyhood.com
www.sandyhood.com

Comments

• peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi,

I have received a couple of queries asking what the DFS day will consist of. This is what I am planning (at the moment):
    • The general approach to the DFS Exam - what to do and what not to do
    • An overview of the accounting standards that cause the most problems (I won't have time to go through ALL the examinable standards, so an overview of the more complicated ones should suffice)
    • How to approach the consolidation question in section a.
    • Explanations of how other questions can be tested in DFS (usually you find a 'sundry' Q which can test any area of the examinable documents.
    • Report writing in section B and an overview of the variances and WHY they are calculated
    • During the day we will go through a couple of questions (due to time constraints these will have to be limited)
    • I will offer advice on how to get through the exam
    • I will offer advice on why students fail DFS.
    • I shall be around for a short period of time after the day so you can ask me any questions if you don't want to ask in front of other group members.

We will also take time to have a brief look at the syllabus for DFS and I will give advice to students on how to break the paper down into its component parts which should make revision more manageable.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • cornflower
    cornflower Registered Posts: 129 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    i am interested in coming to a DFS revision day as I am desperate to get through in December. Can you do a course in Leeds or somewhere like that for a day.

would also be great to thank you in person for helping me with my audit sim.

Carrie:001_smile:
  • peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I will liaise with Sandy Hood re this next week as I am working with Sandy this time round.

I can't promise anything because I have work commitments between now and Christmas which takes up all of my time but I'll see what we can come up with. I'll keep you posted.

Regards
    Steve
  • kel524uk
    kel524uk Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I am intereseted in leeds please for DFS on the 8th november just wondering about costs?
  • Dianne
    Dianne Registered, Tutor Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Costs
    SandyHood wrote: »
    I have received a number of requests to run revision classes in Manchester for MAC, PEV and PCR in preparation for the December 2008 exams. I am looking to team up with Peugeot

I will run the Saturday session addressing PEV and MAC
    Peugeot will run the Sunday session addressing DFS

If there is sufficient interest I can also run a Sunday class at the same time as DFS. This would be PCR.

The plan is as follows:

Saturday MAC/PEV ............Sunday DFS............Mond..........Location
    01 November 2008 ......... 02 November 2008.......... BH ........ Manchester

As an indication, for anyone seeing this for the first time
    I put a limit of 12 on each day, so classes are small. (In exceptional circumstances this might be allowed to increase to 14)

The format of each day is 4 sessions of approx 1¼ hrs. These run from 9.30 to 4.00 (possibly 4.30)
    We look at all aspects of the syllabus focusing on the needs of the exam.

We use practice questions, not necessarily past exam questions. This can help us to try to master the subject matter and ultimately pass the exam. We also address a key point of how to present the answers. Over the years examiners have criticised candidates for not showing their workings clearly. Using certain formats the workings can be more obvious and it can be easier for the marker to give you credit. This can make a significant difference in your overall results as wrong answers that do not have obvious workings would tend to earn few, if any, marks.

Cost is £100 per day (although fees for very small groups may have to be raised to make the day viable)
    I will always keep you up to date as far as developments with any courses.

If you are interested, please email me
    sandy.hood@chichester.ac.uk
    kel524uk wrote: »
    I am intereseted in leeds please for DFS on the 8th november just wondering about costs?

Hi see the above from Sandy Hood re cost.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Dear All
    As you can imagine, the very limited number of Saturdays and Sundays in November are a constraint on revision days.
    I try to run as many as I can, as I know how much students like to have a comprehensive preparation.
    At this stage, I have had two tentative private enquiries for whole groups of students, and no individual emails regarding the course I mentioned at the top of this thread.
    If anyone is interested in attending the Manchester Revision weekend Sat 1st and Sun 2nd November, it is important that you get in touch. If there isn't any interest in Manchester, we may look at running the course elsewhere.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy