Excel

gillwilson
gillwilson Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
Does anyone know of an advanced excel course I could go on.

I have used Excel for years but very basically. I would like learn how to do lots more for example macros, pivot tables, look ups etc.

Any ideas???:blushing:

Comments

• Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I found "how to do everything with Microsoft Office Excel 2003" (ISBN 0-07-223071-1) is great to dip in and out of for more advanced stuff. I picked it up from amazon with the access copy for about £20.00
  • gillwilson
    gillwilson Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks very much for that - i will try to get a copy.:thumbup:
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Another great book is Excel For Dummies. I managed to get my grubby little paws on the complete works - all nine books in the serious in one big book - for about £22 at Waterstones. It's a great book and has helped me immensely.

Speegs:thumbup1:
  • richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    There are official Microsoft Press books for their programmes, & they come at different levels of user
  • aatfree
    aatfree Registered Posts: 86 Regular contributor ⭐
    As well as books I've always found the help section very useful - once you find what you are looking for that is!

The other place to look is the microsoft site. They have a lot of free Office training courses. Not sure which version of excel you have but here is all the Excel 2003 training videos available on the microsoft site.
  • jackieshep
    jackieshep Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    aatfree wrote: »
    As well as books I've always found the help section very useful - once you find what you are looking for that is!

The other place to look is the microsoft site. They have a lot of free Office training courses. Not sure which version of excel you have but here is all the Excel 2003 training videos available on the microsoft site.
    Brilliant idea, I didn't think about having a look at their site. I've been looking for an excel course recently, but didn't want to pay out yet more money for training
  • Nilesh Mandvia
    Nilesh Mandvia Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Excel

Try following link from Accountingweb.co.uk. It is free and covers almost everything including linking to sage and pivot table etc. The look up formula is very simple. Once you start using it you would like it. Let me know if you stuck at either pivot table or lookup formula.

Rgds

Nilesh
  • Nilesh Mandvia
    Link

I am sorry I left out the link. Here is the link

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=141045#pivots

Nilesh
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Very good link!!! That'll be something to study on Monday....
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Can anyone either send me the link for pivot tables and how to use them ? or are they on that site - ?

Thanks

Vic
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Can anyone either send me the link for pivot tables and how to use them ? or are they on that site - ?

Thanks

Vic

Sorry my bad found info on the previous link
  • ambitious
    ambitious Banned User Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Just to add to this thread, I did an interview with the NHS recently for a trainee accountant role and failed miserably (typical me). They set me a 5min presentation, a competancy interview and an excel test. In the excel test I was tested on 3 things. They were commenting on variances and describe trends (definitely technician level stuff), a test on finding the top 5 items by using pivot tables (I had to work that one out), and something that required VLOOKUP which I had very little knowledge of. It's funny that a lot of accountancy jobs ask for these skills yet they are never covered on the AAT. I'm sorry but if these are required then why the hell are we studying the AAT ?! Why are these not covered ? It's clear that the theory of the AAT will not land anyone a job alone, unless your lucky with your contacts.
  • PGM
    ambitious wrote: »
    Just to add to this thread, I did an interview with the NHS recently for a trainee accountant role and failed miserably (typical me). They set me a 5min presentation, a competancy interview and an excel test. In the excel test I was tested on 3 things. They were commenting on variances and describe trends (definitely technician level stuff), a test on finding the top 5 items by using pivot tables (I had to work that one out), and something that required VLOOKUP which I had very little knowledge of. It's funny that a lot of accountancy jobs ask for these skills yet they are never covered on the AAT. I'm sorry but if these are required then why the hell are we studying the AAT ?! Why are these not covered ? It's clear that the theory of the AAT will not land anyone a job alone, unless your lucky with your contacts.

You raise some good points!

You could argue the skills aren't accounting, however excel is the accountants tool!!!

It always frustrated me doing all the hand written calculations, when in reality you would be sitting in front of a pc.

Maybe there should be at least one analysis section that involves taking calculations done and doing further excel work, ie pivot tables, v look up etc.

Until then I'd strongly recommend people learn these skills themselves....

ps IFSUM is another very handy one!
  • ambitious
    ambitious Banned User Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Well if the AAT can offer "payroll" as an additional course I can't see why they don't offer a course in "excel" used in an accouting context. It would certainly be popular. Why leave this stuff for CPD (Continued professional development) ? AAT have excel method documents as CPD but I think that's plain daft plus they are far too simple especially when I had my interview at the NHS. The modern accountant uses excel and as theoretical as the AAT is, excel has to be an essential part of learning for everyone. Working with computers was good but there needs to be an advancement on that especially for the purpose of utilising anyone's valuable AAT knowledge. How accounting theory and excel are connected is a gap that definitely needs to be covered. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet this stuff is not even covered on courses like CIMA or ACCA. Using HLOOKUP, VLOOKUP, time functions, complex IF statements, conditonal formatting, macros are some things that definitely that need to be taught.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    no excel is covered in CIMA or ACCA. However if you know you need more help on excel the responsibility is yours to go and find out or do a course. You could say 'I need to type to use word whilst an accountant' but you wouldn't expect AAT to cover touch typing on their course. There are plenty of excel courses available at night school or local colleges for all levels.

I don't mean to sound harsh but it can't all be the AAT's fault!
  • Nilesh Mandvia
    AAT & Excel
    Well if the AAT can offer "payroll" as an additional course I can't see why they don't offer a course in "excel" used in an accouting context. It would certainly be popular. Why leave this stuff for CPD (Continued professional development) ? AAT have excel method documents as CPD but I think that's plain daft plus they are far too simple especially when I had my interview at the NHS. The modern accountant uses excel and as theoretical as the AAT is, excel has to be an essential part of learning for everyone. Working with computers was good but there needs to be an advancement on that especially for the purpose of utilising anyone's valuable AAT knowledge. How accounting theory and excel are connected is a gap that definitely needs to be covered. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet this stuff is not even covered on courses like CIMA or ACCA. Using HLOOKUP, VLOOKUP, time functions, complex IF statements, conditonal formatting, macros are some things that definitely that need to be taught.

I agree with Bluewednesday. Do not blame AAT. I use all the functions/formula you mentioned. All these functions I learnt on the job. As and when I need to solved something, I searched the help on excel and found the answer or go to forum ask someone (I already posted link for accountingweb.co.uk)

Excel is so big there is no way you can cover in a course. A problem can be solved using different methods. You can use vlookup or indexmatch both do the lookinp up value. But each has their own unique benefits.

Pivot table and loopup functions are very easy. You need to start using them. Once you do, you will learn more than you can in the classroom.

Meanwhile if you have question on pivot table, look up, sumif, just post question or pm me. I would be happy to help you.
  • PGM
    I don't mean to sound harsh but it can't all be the AAT's fault!

I wouldn't say it is either.

Still, I think it would add value to the AAT course adding it maybe as an optional module, coursework or at least advise you to become competant with spreadsheets.
  • aatfree
    aatfree Registered Posts: 86 Regular contributor ⭐
    I have taught myself about various functions just by going through the help section of Excel. I don't think it is AAT's place to train for this, not when there are plenty of other organisation who offer training. As well as all the free stuff you can find on the net.
  • GreenMousey
    GreenMousey Registered Posts: 154 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I completed an Extreme excel course and still have the booklet which is in email form, I'd be happy to send it to anyone who wishes to have a copy?

Take care out there...

Mouse
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Excel

Hi Mouse

Would you mind emailing the excel booklet over to me please @ jayne.morrissey@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Of course, serious accountants and analysts know that Lotus 123 blows Excel out of the water. :001_tt2:

The power of Microsoft for you.
  • A-Vic
    Sonny_L wrote: »
    Of course, serious accountants and analysts know that Lotus 123 blows Excel out of the water. :001_tt2:

The power of Microsoft for you.

HUH? narr he didnt just put that on here lol :lol:
  • A-Vic

Dont mean to be nosey but the job you went for wasnt a business analysist in newcastle by anychance?
  • MrCoffee
    MrCoffee Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Excel is a vital finance/accounting tool but it's not something that can really be assessed by the AAT. I would recommend picking up an appropriate text book or CBT package, though to be honest the Excel help files are pretty decent (just disable that stupid assistant thing).
    Personally excel is one of my strengths as I do some excel vba solution development in my current job.
  • GreenMousey
    Sapphire wrote: »
    Hi Mouse

Would you mind emailing the excel booklet over to me please @ jayne.morrissey@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks

I tried to email it to you but it keeps getting returned to me. I tried to email you to tell you this but that email bounced back too, do you have another email I could send it to?

Thanks

Mouse
  • PGM
    I completed an Extreme excel course Mouse

Is this doing spreadsheets while hanging off a mountain?! :thumbup:
  • PGM
    MrCoffee wrote: »
    Excel is a vital finance/accounting tool but it's not something that can really be assessed by the AAT.

Something doesn't rest right with me... AAT is supposed to make us good accounting technicians. Excel is vital, yet its hardly touched.

More I think about it the more I think there should be an Excel module. But then again it all goes wrong when everyone is at different levels.
  • GreenMousey
    PGM wrote: »
    Is this doing spreadsheets while hanging off a mountain?! :thumbup:
    lol, I think that I may have been duped by the title of the course, the excel bit was relevant but the extreme not so, although I do have a certificate with "extreme" on and my name, so I've decided not to take any further action in this instance...
  • acc1077
    acc1077 Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Mouse

Would you mind emailing the excel booklet over to me please @ anitacram@aol.com

Thanks
    Anita:001_smile:
  • GreenMousey
    It's winging it's way to you as we speak,

hope its of use to you.

Mouse
Privacy Policy