Month end/year end work

Esme
Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi,

I am thinking of becomming self employed once I have completed my AAT as I know quite a few sole traders who have asked me if I could help them with their accounts.

I have a few questions if anyone could help..

What are the average going rates to charge sole traders or small partnerships for doing their month end or year end accounts.

Would I be qualified enough to be self employed after just completing AAT or would I need to do a further qualification like the ACCA?

Many thanks is advance :thumbup1:

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Esme
    Yes, AAT is enough qualification to be a self employed accountant. However you must make sure you have enough experience to be able to offer these services on your own. Note that if you go on to do ACCA you can't do more than bookkeeping to TB under their student rules.

As to going rates, it's a how long is a piece of string thing. Average (whatever that is!) sole trader year end accounts and tax return -/+Β£300 a year. Bookkeeping +/-Β£20 per hour, I've seen some folk charging a flat Β£20 ph for all tax and accountancy full stop, but I feel that's definitely undervaluing.
  • Esme
    Thanks Faerie9, are there any other further qualifications or courses which would be useful for self employed Accountants?
  • Monsoon
    ATT (tax) is very useful.
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Personally and IMHO, after doing the AAT exams, I think that experience is far more important than exams - all the theory in the world cannot prepare you for real life carrier bags and can't remembers!!!

ATT is a really good exam to take, and I think that you can still practice while studying for it.

Claudia
  • Monsoon
    Personally and IMHO, after doing the AAT exams, I think that experience is far more important than exams - all the theory in the world cannot prepare you for real life carrier bags and can't remembers!!!

ATT is a really good exam to take, and I think that you can still practice while studying for it.

Claudia
    100% agree :)
  • Esme
    Ok, thanks for the advise.. I will look into the ATT.

Do you need a practicing certificate for AAT to work self employed? Are there any other loopholes I should be aware of, like insurances etc?
  • Monsoon
    Once you are a MAAT, if you want to work self employed/ through your own Ltd Co, you have to have Professional Indemnity Insurance (list available through AAT) and hold a Members in Practice certificate.

Before you are a MAAT you don't need PII (though is recommended, but may be higher price as you won't be qualified), and you may do any self employed work within your capabilities, you mustn't take on anything you can't do.
  • Esme
    I wouldn't want to sork on my own until I was MAAT so will have look into the certificate. It's difficult knowing when to finish my full time job and go into self employment, incase I couldn't get enough clients etc!!
  • Monsoon
    Unfortunately this crossover can be tricky. Not having done it, I can't really advise, sorry!
Privacy Policy