Accountant?

becca77
becca77 Registered Posts: 18 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi I have been told that once the technician level is completed I would be classed as an Accountant, is this right?

Comments

• becca77
    becca77 Registered Posts: 18 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Its not for work its for an application to emigrate to Australia, they dont recognise the AAT, although its meant to be transfered as NIA (National Institute of Accountants) I dont know what I have to do next, any suggestions?

Thanks
  • LouiseR
    LouiseR Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor โญ
    Sorry i can't help with your question but my husband and i was considering emigrating and starting looking into it, my understanding is that AAT is not a recognised qualification in Australia, you have to be either ACCA / CIMA or ACA qualified.
  • LEE G
    LEE G Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi Louise

You will not be classed as an Accountant on completion of the AAT, you need to complete ACCA, CIMA, ACCA, ICAEW etc to be a qualified accountant.

The AAT qualification will mean you are a qualified Accounting Technician.

Hope this helps
  • essex girl
    essex girl Registered Posts: 7 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi I have been told that once the technician level is completed I would be classed as an Accountant, is this right?

I have been wondering this too.

Lee G - do you mean that on completion of Technician level we would be Accounting Technicians in the UK and not able to call ourselves accountants.

Is an Accounting Technician able to offer services to small limited companies such as preparing and submitting their accounts to companies house?

Can anyone tell me exactly how far we can go as it never was fully explained at college.

Many thanks
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    level we would be Accounting Technicians in the UK and not able to call ourselves accountants.

Is an Accounting Technician able to offer services to small limited companies such as preparing and submitting their accounts to companies house?

Can anyone tell me exactly how far we can go as it never was fully explained at college.
    ANYONE can call themselves an accountant in the UK, qualified, knowledgeable, experienced or otherwise. :ohmy:

So yes, it's perfectly acceptable to call yourself an accountant,. :thumbup1:

Yes we can do small Ltd Co stuff. The only thing we can't do is Audit. But then, who'd want to? :001_tt2:
  • cornflower
    cornflower Registered Posts: 129 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    we were talking in the office today about this as a couple of us are finishing our AAT.

Once we get AAT are we qualified accountants? My boss is CIMA and she said that we would not be but our ledger supervisor said that we would be but we could not call ourselves chartered accountants. My boss said we would be qualified technicians not accountants.

is that right?i thought we would be qualified accountants?

carrie:thumbup1:
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    You would be qualified accounting technicians - be proud of it!
  • pinksponk
    pinksponk Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor โญ
    Does anyone know who the body is that will decide what we AAT qualified are , Accountants or Technicians. My personal opinion is that I am an Accountant, I don't feel that I am telling porkies. If I was saying I was a Chartered Accountant, then I would be telling porkies
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    My boss said we would be qualified technicians not accountants.

I think this is wrong!

You will be a qualified accountant, just not a chartered accountant.

I'm not going to start calling myself a technician instead of an accountant?!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    What's wrong with being a technician? That's what the qualification states!

However it doesn't matter what you call yourself, the term accountant is not protected so any joe public can call themselves an accountant qualified or not.

What will speak for you is the quality of work and the way you deal with clients - not the name.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    What's wrong with being a technician? That's what the qualification states!

Only that I'm not chartered, nothing :001_smile:

But seriously, I see it as refering to a type of accountant, and I find it easier to tell people I'm an accountant and not have to explain to them I'm not a mechanic or something.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    PGM wrote: ยป
    But seriously, I see it as refering to a type of accountant, and I find it easier to tell people I'm an accountant and not have to explain to them I'm not a mechanic or something.
    Absolutely!
    The word 'technician' is hideous. I always describe myself as an accountant.

After all, AAT is the only qualification I can think of that makes you a qualified non-chartered accountant. What's the point in chartered accountants being proud of being chartered, if they haven't got any non-chartered qualified accountants to compare themselves against, eh? ;):thumbup1:
  • MrGofOxford
    MrGofOxford Registered Posts: 22 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Some nice replies here! I've asked my tutor about this before & she tells me that we will be Qualified "accounting technicians" which is a form of accountant, like somebody said before, the term "accountant" is not protected in the UK like it is in other countries such as Australia, in the UK anyone can call themselves an accountant even if they don't have GCSE maths! It's illegal to call yourself "certified" unless you have the relevant certificate or "qualified" unless you have the relevant qualification, same with "chartered" etc but the term "accountant" can be very loosely used. One of my friends learnt everything he knows from his dad, who learnt everything he knew from HIS dad, none of the family have any qualification or accounting certificates but they've all earnt a very good living from being "accountants".

I think the best thing to do would be to call yourself a "part-qualified accountant", especially if you are hoping to continue studying (accounts) in Aus.
Privacy Policy