Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion


Lucy283Lucy283 Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 4
Good Morning Fellow Members,

I'm currently studying my Diploma and would like to study my ACCA after and possible then specialise in Tax. I'm really not sure what or how or who to talk to for some advise. Can you help?

Thank you


  • BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,624
    What advice are you after?
  • Lucy283Lucy283 Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    Well I'd like to know If I have to go to Uni to study ACCA or can I work and study at once? How many years am I looking at? Or is there anyone I can talk to about my options?

    Thank you
  • BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,624
    You can go to Uni or more commonly people work and either self study or go to BPP (or similar) on day release. If you can work whilst studying you will benefit from doing so.

    As to time taken, you can take up to 4 papers a sitting but it is not advised to do so. So it's totally up to you, you get exemptions with complete AAT from F1, F2 and F3 so that leaves you 11 papers to complete. Generally 2 papers a sitting is a sensible amount, there are 2 sittings a year.

    Any other info required please feel free to pm me or post on here.
  • PGMPGM Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,954
    I suppose you could say 3 years.

    I've just starting ACCA by distance learning, theres plenty to get through with just the 2 exams! Plenty! Wondering if distance learning was the right method.

    I heard the classes are done in blocks? I can't see how thats better than a day per week..
  • BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,624
    I did mine in blocks, you just have to do a lot of work in between.

    I did taught courses at BPP which were usually 3 or occassionally 4 days per paper.

    I passed all my papers first time so it can't be that bad!!!
  • Lucy283Lucy283 Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    So you studied day release? and 4 exams a year? Well I'd rather work and study i think its easier. So i think I'll contact Kaplan or BBP see what they have on offer... thank you for your help! :001_smile:
  • BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,624
    I work too - it's invaluable especially when you do the p papers if you have some idea of what happens in real life.

    Good luck, I can fully recommend BPP, I used them for all my papers and they were fantastic.
  • lulabellelulabelle Just Joined Registered Posts: 2

    Take a look at the ACCA website, somewhere they show places that offer tuition in your area. For instance I was able to do mine at a local university, day release for one day a week, I did 4 exams for the first two years and then the 3 remaining in this last year (they just did courses leading to the June exams).

    I liked it, you had time to look back at something if you were unsure before moving onto the next thing, whereas I don't know how that would work with the block release. It's hard work and you need to be very self motivated to get those first time passes whichever option you choose, but it's quite possible.

    You do want to work at the same time as you need to do 36 months experience and have exposure to a number of practical work experience requirements before you can become a member.

    Good luck!
Sign In or Register to comment.