AAT: a few questions from a potential student

BCD
BCD Registered Posts: 5 New contributor šŸø
A few years back, my ambition was to work in accounting. For various reasons, life just didn't turn out that way. However, I've been in touch with my local college and they are starting a class in January for the AAT foundation. I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to sign up- it's one day a week until June, after which I can join the Intermediate and the levek 4 afterwards.

Could you answer the following questions for me, please?

1-I'm 27- do many 'mature' students do the course, or will it be mainly 17 year olds?

2-I have GCSE Maths at c grade from 1997, so I'm a bit rusty. Is this likely to be a problem? Are you allowed calculators in the classes/exams?

3-Is there much employment out there for AAT graduates?

4-Are there any presentations or group work in the AAT?

5-Is most of the mathematical work done on Sage?

6-All in all, is it worth it? Or should I look elsewhere?

Many thanks in advance!!:thumbup1:

Comments

• jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Hi BCD,

1. Age dosesn't matter, I'm 48 and am in the final stage of AAT. Will you be in a class full of 17 year olds, maybe, just depends on the class, but no worries you're all there to learn a profession and I'm sure it will be no problem to anyone else how old the other students are. Afraid I'm a distance learner but wherever I sat exams everyone I met , who yes I'm sure were much much younger than me, we're interested only in the reason I was there.

2. Don't worry about the maths, yes you can use calulators in exams, as long as you have basic mathematical skills you're fine.

3. I have read that some people don't find it easy to find jobs but I think that's down to several factors. Could be geographical location, other skills and qualities etc. Sometimes that opportunity just comes long. As you're only just starting out is it possible for you to get an admin job where there may be an opportuniy to move into accounts when you've been studing for while?

4. Would say not, but as a distance leaner can't comment or lecturer's teaching methods.

5. Very little work is done on sage, take a look at the syllabus on the AAT website.

6. Is it worth it? If it's a profession you want to get into them most definitely, even at my ripe old age I'll be chuffed when I've qualified. AAT could just be the starting point, who knows where this may lead you for example I'm going to do the Taxation Technician course next year and you'd think I'd know better at my age!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Pencil
    Pencil Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ā­
    My advice to you would, whole heartedly, GO FOR IT. I'm 37 and doing Technician level now and although I'm one of the oldies, the other students definately don't treat me as anything other than another student.

The self confidence I have gained through doing this course is unbelievable and the recognition I have got from work has also meant receiving a promotion and a couple of pay rises in the last two years.

If you have any interest in accounts at all then I couldn't recommend this course highly enough.

All the best and get signed up!:thumbup:
  • BCD
    BCD Registered Posts: 5 New contributor šŸø
    Thanks guys.

I'm thinking that I'll do the AAT level 2 from Jan-June, then go to uni' to do the ACCA from September. Is this possible?

Do you know if I can get financial help towards the ACCA as I would for a degree?
  • sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    hi there,

i was 37 this year and completed aat as a distance learner with only textbooks, and no need for a tutor. it took me 2 years and 3 months.

i have now moved onto acca and i can say for certain, that you should complete aat first and gain the exemptions that you will deserve for acca.

aat is slowly progressive but it most certainly prepares you for further study. otherwise, you will find the leap too great.

i do know of two people who left aat after level 3 to jump straight into cima... and failed at the first hurdle. they now have nothing to show for their studies.

only non-scientific calculators officially allowed.

there aren't any presentations or groupwork, but there is a small project (took me 3 days) and a much larger project (took me 10 days).

i'm not aware of any grants or bursaries available. there is a strong possibility that your employer will support you financially, as well as allowing the appropriate amount of study leave.

employment is your own outlook.

any activity, or study, that develops you as a person is worthwhile !

best of luck.
  • miskysbabe
    miskysbabe Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor ā­
    Started Sept 08

Hi
    I am 37 and i joined in September and go to a place that isn't a college as such on day release from work. We are on fast track and do the foundation exam in December. Hopefully the Intermediate in June 09. This is great for me.
    I am in a mixed group of all ages and don't find a problem.

I shopped around to see where i could join and what suited me. I travel 50 minutes by car to my chosen place and I am very pleased with my choice.

Hope all goes well for you.

:thumbup:
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Well only 1 little advice (go for it and finish the song .....) and by the way dont worry abt the age factor .. ( it is just a number which adds up once in a year )lolzz .. trust me in my class i was the only one who was 22 all others were either 30 or more then that ...but it aint bothered any body we still worked as a team and i ended up learning a lot of things from those elders and highly professional people .. i hope so this will help 2 make your decision
  • mobility
    mobility Registered Posts: 24 New contributor šŸø
    Me too

Hello I also wanted to do accounting when I left school but couldnt seem to get to that place. I am also 27! Its nice to know im not alone:001_smile:

I have completed intermediate study at local college one day a week. There were a mixture of ages and experience but most are just trying to learn. We never used computers in class but there was the oppertunity to learn sage.

I say go for it and good luck
  • Lilyflower
    Lilyflower Registered Posts: 54 Regular contributor ā­
    I'm classed as a mature student - I am 28! Just started my Foundation, will be doing the exam on the 2nd Dec.

I also went to Uni as a mature student. To be honest there were more younger people at the uni than there are at my AAT classes. I do the evening course which seems to attract the older group and those who work days. The day time students mainly seem very young (17-20)!

At uni even though almost everyone was younger there were still a few of us 'oldies' Lol!!

I wouldn't let it put you off going back to studying though! Going back is for you and your future at the end of the day, and I believe that you can be friends with anyone, my two best friends are 21 and 36!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Privacy Policy