Do you enjoy accountancy?

aattrainee
aattrainee Registered Posts: 3 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
For me, ive only been in it for around 6 months. Sometimes I really like it, other times I just dont feel motivated to do it one bit. I still havent made my final decision whether it is for me or not...

Comments

• jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    For anyone outside of the acountancy profession I am one of those sad people who really enyoys it!
  • dreamcatcher27
    dreamcatcher27 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Have to yes to the question, although sometimes I find the studying tedious... in this profession is doesn't bode well if you try to run before you can even crawl. But I've found that I like to know were every penny belongs... am also fortunate in that my boss is approachable and doesn't make me feel stupid if I ask him the same question in a different format time and time again. Mistakes happen but hey you learn from them
  • Gianni
    Gianni Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor โญ
    I think when you're learning and working your way up there will be times you get bored of it, but isn't that the same for any job? You just need to work your way to your ideal position.

Just remember that an accountancy qualification is useful for a variety of jobs and not just in the accountancy profession.
  • ambitious
    ambitious Banned User Posts: 93 Regular contributor โญ
    I enjoy the problem solving aspect of accountancy and practicing numeracy to high levels. But I agree with Gianni, it is a real bore when working in transaction processing roles until you get some advanced excel skills, become more closer to AAT qualified and be trusted to do a bigger job. I've done transaction roles all my life until recently I got a job as a temp Assistant Accountant which I am absolutely enjoying at the moment. I get to utilise my AAT knowledge, use my excel skills to an advanced level and work with people at all levels. It's brilliant and the experience is priceless.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I think you will get bored sometimes in any job you do as there will be things you will do over and over again.
  • Adam
    Adam Registered Posts: 13 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I used to - but for me there is no challenge anymore.

Since completing Technician i've been setting myself up to enter the world of teaching!

I found Accountancy a good starting point - but after time boring.
  • waxbutterfly
    waxbutterfly Registered Posts: 16 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    iv been working in accountancy for 6 years starting as an office junior when i was 17....and im only just taking my foundation AAT.

other than that whenever people ask me what i do and if i like it i always describe it as the "most boring job known to man"...as thats what they expect. to a certain degree it can be very boring and repetitive but im lucky that im in a industry (hotels) that is vibrant and fun to work in, im good at what i do and i have career targets that i want to make which encourage me every day so all in all i do enjoy my job alot.

:tongue_smilie:
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    For me, ive only been in it for around 6 months. Sometimes I really like it, other times I just dont feel motivated to do it one bit. I still havent made my final decision whether it is for me or not...

Like most jobs, I think it gets better as you move up. When I first started I was really just doing data entry, now I do very little. And instead I'm making accounting based decisons.

Still, its never going to the most earth shatteringly exciting job on the planet :thumbup:

I see it as learning a trade in similar ways to plumbers/joiners etc, its a skill that once you learn should in theory help you earn good money for your working life. Whereas what does a regular manager really have to back them up? Other than "people skills..."

So, what are your options?
Privacy Policy