Previous Accountant

T J
T J Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
Does anyone have experience in what to do when the previous accountant doesn't respond to your professional letter requesting info on a potential new client?

The clients want me to get on with their work as their bookkeeper isn't exactly experienced and the previous accountant only did year end, so nothing has been checked for months.

I wrote a professional letter initially and have emailed him, and the client has chased him (they don't owe any money). If I don't get working papers for the last year end he did will I have to work back to find bank balance, creditors, debtors etc? and do a best estimate?

The accounts aren't on Sage or anything so I will have to input everything anyway.

Thanks
TJ

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    As frustrating as it is there is not much you can do.

Get as much info as you can from the client, get as much as you can from the Revenue (previous years accounts and tax comps) and try and patch up the gaps as best you can.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    We've often found our clients get fed up and go in to the previous accountant's office themselves, that usually does the trick!
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    We've often found our clients get fed up and go in to the previous accountant's office themselves..

...with a couple of blokes dressed like 'MIB'?

Regards

Dean
Privacy Policy