Studying

Ponder
Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello all,
Im a mature student if you'd like to call it that, needless to say ive not studied(at this kind of depth!) for a long time and when faced with the propect of studying makes me wonder about study skills. Ive done some google-ing into the subject but would like to ask you all...

What is your study methods?
What types of studying and methods do you find successful to learn and to understand and lastly to memorize!
How do you successfully go about learning and all the parts that make up that in terms of specifically accountancy?

Im myself doing a self study course but any class tips/suggestions/methods would be great to hear about as well! (if you yourself have found it helpful and successful for you in your course!

Any answers greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• blacksheep
    blacksheep Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    i find the best way to pick up things is to work them through - even if it means guess-working at how something goes, then checking the answer, and figuring out why what i've done is different.
    I don't memorise things as such, by just by doing them over and over they kind of get drilled into me. Spending time trying to work it out myself helps too, then i learn the bits i got wrong.
    For some forumlas, remembering phrases work, like DeadClic helps and stays in my head longer.

My dad drummed into me very early that if you had to study too hard before the exams, it was likely that you hadn't learned it properly in the first place, so in general i don't actually really revise as such, just keep doing more of the same in the run up to the day.
    Pace yourself and enjoy it is the best advice i can give.
  • Ponder
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have to agree that practical time working things out does ring very true as a good way to understand and in the long run learn.
    Ive stopped myself going into a habit habit of copying EVERYTHING from the Books out..ive decided its a waste of time and effort and that its not really helping my understanding just adding an element of panic that "Oh my ..ive got to understand this all and remember it all!!?!?!)
    Going to try for a change to reading more with concise notes mixed with my own wording.

Also coming across the areas where i dont understand or im guessing (the wrong stuff! thus alittle worried that ill end up going into a routinue of misunderstands of subjects) or im almost skipping areas because of lack of understanding which i think is not going to help me in the future, as and when they get built apon in future concepts and subjects.

Got to work on the ways of grasping fundamental methods and reasonings!

Any other tips ,advice, whys and hows,etetc at all , most appreciated!!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Ponder

Ive found there are two types of learners Visual and Active.

What i mean is personally i cant just sit and read a book to learn anything, i have to visually place items for remembering.

For example i use the e-learning items on the site because i can interact with it as well as lisen and complete tasks. I also place notes in places i go to most, like at my work station i have notes on the wall with formulas and trial balances showing debits and credits.

I have class friends that can just read a chapter and understand it right off.

Regards

Vic
  • Ponder
    Hi A-Vic,
    thanks for your reply. That indeed makes sense the theories of different kind of learners and thus different types of learning tailored to what's that persons type as the best to grasp , understand and also to memorize.

Im personally trying to suss out what type(s) i am and trying different approaches of what im reading,writing and listening to...even to the point of what to take my own notes of and how to do these notes.
    I agree with you about the e-learnng stuff, it does seem to really help and have a good element of personal interaction and practical sides to it...

Reading helps but i have to say i do find a practical element including visual,audio or just the plain and simple running through questions to help finally understand what somethings about and then also to help remember as well.

oh to be an "photographic memory person"!!
    although in some ways im not sure that it would work or help really...im personally slowly leaning towards the fact that understanding as the key to studying in general.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Ponder wrote: »
    Hi A-Vic,
    thanks for your reply. That indeed makes sense the theories of different kind of learners and thus different types of learning tailored to what's that persons type as the best to grasp , understand and also to memorize.

Im personally trying to suss out what type(s) i am and trying different approaches of what im reading,writing and listening to...even to the point of what to take my own notes of and how to do these notes.
    I agree with you about the e-learnng stuff, it does seem to really help and have a good element of personal interaction and practical sides to it...

Reading helps but i have to say i do find a practical element including visual,audio or just the plain and simple running through questions to help finally understand what somethings about and then also to help remember as well.

oh to be an "photographic memory person"!!
    although in some ways im not sure that it would work or help really...im personally slowly leaning towards the fact that understanding as the key to studying in general.

If your studying at college there is a few small test that you can take that will gather your scores and give you a report on what style of learning will work for you. Just ask at your learning resourse centre within college, if not have a look on-line am sure there will be somthing available somewhere

Good luck

Vic
  • Ponder
    Im personally a distance home learner with no classes!
    Thats what i mean about tips/advice/methods/techniques coming from a class room situation could come in handy for me and other home based learners..well i mean also generally sharing them and your thoughts on studying, whether or not its home or class based, although i guess the course vs home study has the possibly of differences because of the amount of people in the class, the teacher and the interaction altogether while studying! ;)

But thanks, its a good point (also sounds like a useful test)and you have reminded me i need to do some googl-ing on the subject of "learning style"~ "what's my style" or some such term, to find a good site on this to work it out as im sure its a good idea for the long run!

Ok btw did quick search and found some ok looking sites on the subject of personal learning styles tests.Here are the links if anybody is interested at looking:
    http://www.ldpride.net/learningstyles.MI.htm
    http://www.learning-styles-online.com/
    http://www.acceleratedlearning.com/method/test_flash.html

And generally what works for other people?
    What tips ,advice or techniques are talked about in classes or with teachers? or you yourself?
Privacy Policy