Think twice:Is Accounting really for you?

Options

Comments

• talinka
    talinka Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I think what has been said at the start of this thread is bang right out of order!!! Some students who actually want a career in Accounting, will struggle with some parts of the learning!! Myself included, you can never be prepared enough for exams no matter how much hard work you put in to your revision and learning. When you struggle with something, you will in my case always find it difficult.

Putting comments like that on here on a day of all days where students are re-stitting exams and giving things another go...i find quite appauling!!

I hope you are pleased with yourself to be honest, making alot of students feel like there is no hope!

I don't feel like I need to defend myself over and over again. The message was: It was a really hard exam- absolutely agree. Were there any tasks not covered in syllabus- I disagree (apart from relevant/irrelevant costs) I managed to get prepared just in a month time without any tutor support or any unnecessary hints, what will come up and what will not.
    I would never give up on anything before giving it my best. And those re-sitting exams should never do! BUT we are supposed to learn from our mistakes, no exam can be passed by just simply memorising things. It is a safer option to understand why, then you will always remember how to figure it out.
    jackiepowell, do you enjoy accounting? If you find yourself struggling it's easy to get demotivated. Try to look ahead. I treat it as a game. You pass one level and it gets more exciting, can't wait to get to another stage.
    The only hope there is -is the belief in yourself. Not the hope for an easier exam. In my humble opinion. :blushing:
  • jackiepowell
    jackiepowell Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    yes i do love accounting, and if i dont pass 1st time i WILL pass 2nd!

It took me 4 times to pass my driving test, just because i kept failing didnt mean i couldnt drive! Wether it takes 3 times or 10 times to pass an AAT exam...it might be RIDICULOUS to you but to most people we WILL suceed at what ever time we pass.
  • Ampsie
    Ampsie Registered Posts: 145 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Well said Jackiepowell!

I went into the exam feeling well prepared but came out feeling despondent.
    But if it's the worst case scenario and i have to re-sit then i will and i too will go into it determined to pass!

No-one likes to get a fail, but it doesn't mean that you are no good at something if it happens.

Determination and perseverance and we WILL ALL get there!

Ampsie
    Being positive!
  • claire2609
    claire2609 Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Re: Think Twice

Oh i think this thread has got totally out of control and way to personnal....
    I think some parts of Talinka's first post were right ... granted it came across alittle arrogant!
    Students whether they be at college or distance learning cannot just take the text books or lecturers word as there only learning ... i think everyone is past school age and should stand up on their own two feet and read the examiners report and look on the website at the syllabus and study booklets... then if anything is covered in the exam that has not been included within these everyone has got a reason to complain!

Also i think past papers are good ... but revision should not be based on these.... its not the format you are meant to be learning its the content!

Anyway Just thought i would give my little opinion :blushing:
  • cs_1988
    cs_1988 Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    talinka - Slighlty over the line!

I too study distance learning, and like you, tend to leave it a tad late to study. I passed ECR and FRA first time.

What you have to remember is a lot of people hate exam conditions, what they have learnt, what they would be able to do in a class doesnt come when they are in an exam.

Luckily, i tend to do better in exams. Buyt that doesnt mean at all that you, or myself will be a better accountant than someone who passed second time.

I take my hat off to people who keep trying, it shows huge amounts of determination to pass. Which is a quality an employer would love to have.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hello all,

I only really started using this website last June when I failed section 2 of PEV, the only exam I had not passed in the whole three years, and I have had some brilliant feed back regarding PEV and also made some great friends and had a lot of fun on some of the light hearted chat threads.

I was considering appealing against my results in June, as I was feeling so dispondant after the results. Section two caused an outcry on here and I was convinced it was the fault of the paper and not me................but when I looked at the answere's, I realised it was only down to me for not understanding what the questions were asking for, because if I was being honest I did complete lots of past papers, and because of this I did memorise the variences etc but when it came down to it I did not REALLY UNDERSTAND the meaning of them in different senariois.

Reading through these threads, I feel a lot of people are taking other peoples opinions on the present exams(and they are only their opinions) to heart, and there is a bit of frustration coming out.

Any one that has entered an exam should be PROUD of there achievments, we all deal with these situations differently, we should only be concerned with our own feelings regarding these exams and our individual achievments, it doesn't matter what other people think!!! only we know how hard we have worked for the exams, and what we have had to deal with to get here.

Those people who are fortunate and find revising for exams easy...good for you..we ALL have things we are better at than others.

I re took PEV on Monday....still made silly mistakes through being nervious....but hey...I'v learnt it IS NOT the end of the world if I do not pass...I will just keep going on untill I do. And I say that with the greatest respect for those who feel it is a big deal as I did last June, untill I sat down and looked at what I had achieved.

Good luck to everyone takings exams............just forget anyone else's opinions and be proud of yourself..................you cannot go back on the exams..just go forward...you may get a surprise and pass.

Look forward and enjoy Christmas.................
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Perfectly put on the whole subject Diannew!..
    And you have really summed up different threads of things that ive been thinking about,(studying,etcetc ) and this also is a good wording of what ive recently been experiencing in life as a whole.
    Indeed, enjoy your Christmas everybody!
  • Diannew
    Options
    Ponder wrote: »
    Perfectly put on the whole subject Diannew!..
    And you have really summed up different threads of things that ive been thinking about,(studying,etcetc ) and this also is a good wording of what ive recently been experiencing in life as a whole.
    Indeed, enjoy your Christmas everybody!

Thank you............As regards things going on in life....NOTHING can not be put right if you believe in yourself..........Sorry !! if I sound silly and humble..but I am right...............Now everyone just go forward and have a great Christmas.........:thumbup:
  • Northernangel
    Northernangel Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I agree with talinka on this one.

I was supposed to sit this exam in June, but due to illness couldn't. I had to pay for the exam out of my own pocket, after paying course fees last year, and studied at home using my BPP books - bought with my own money.

EOQ is mentioned in my book - and my copy is two years old. I specifically memorised the equation because I remembered struggling with it in class and thought, since it hadn't been in previous exams that it may come up.

Yes, some parts of it threw me the relevant question I should have been able to work out using common sense but in a panic I wrote a load of waffle.

Dealing with different units, £000s and pence should be something all accounts assistants should be able, or learn to deal with - along with attention to detail. Yes past papers are a good revision tool but you can't expect the same questions to come up again and again. If they did what would be the point of studying the course when you would just be able to learn how to answer a certain set of questions - to me that would devalue the whole qualification.

I don't come from an accounts background, have worked in an accounts office once for 3 months, and run a non-related business. I'm busy and sitting the exam on Monday cost me much more than the exam fee itself. I also have health problems yet if I have to resit I will. My main problem with the questions was being in too much of a rush and waffling although I think my figure were fine.

I have also been appalled by the way in which folk rushed home after the exam and started posting immediately. Even if questions were not mentioned it still isn't fair on other students to start posting comments about how difficult and unfair it was. What if someone about to go into their exam read that?How would they feel?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Diannew wrote: »
    Hello all,

I only really started using this website last June when I failed section 2 of PEV, the only exam I had not passed in the whole three years, and I have had some brilliant feed back regarding PEV and also made some great friends and had a lot of fun on some of the light hearted chat threads.

I was considering appealing against my results in June, as I was feeling so dispondant after the results. Section two caused an outcry on here and I was convinced it was the fault of the paper and not me................but when I looked at the answere's, I realised it was only down to me for not understanding what the questions were asking for, because if I was being honest I did complete lots of past papers, and because of this I did memorise the variences etc but when it came down to it I did not REALLY UNDERSTAND the meaning of them in different senariois.

Reading through these threads, I feel a lot of people are taking other peoples opinions on the present exams(and they are only their opinions) to heart, and there is a bit of frustration coming out.

Any one that has entered an exam should be PROUD of there achievments, we all deal with these situations differently, we should only be concerned with our own feelings regarding these exams and our individual achievments, it doesn't matter what other people think!!! only we know how hard we have worked for the exams, and what we have had to deal with to get here.

Those people who are fortunate and find revising for exams easy...good for you..we ALL have things we are better at than others.

I re took PEV on Monday....still made silly mistakes through being nervious....but hey...I'v learnt it IS NOT the end of the world if I do not pass...I will just keep going on untill I do. And I say that with the greatest respect for those who feel it is a big deal as I did last June, untill I sat down and looked at what I had achieved.

Good luck to everyone takings exams............just forget anyone else's opinions and be proud of yourself..................you cannot go back on the exams..just go forward...you may get a surprise and pass.

Well said Dianne at last someone with a great attitude and one id like to adopt. :thumbup:
  • wastewe
    wastewe Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I actually work in an accounts enviroment and have done for many years. My experience is at ground level, so my working concepts are great but I feel its like (for me) learning how to drive the way a driving instructor wants you to to pass the test, if that makes sense. I have stuffed up my exam today but I know I know what I'm doing daily, its a possibility that in the exam enviroment my brain goes to mush, will probably remember more tomorrow. I was feeling crap about my exam performace untill someone who knows me said to me they were proud that I even turned up and got through it. I am distance learning to fit in with my work and took a break from the last set of exams, having passed ECR (which I thought I would fail as I don't have any experience in lots of that area) and failed FRA (retaken today), taking a year out due to losing four family members and personal illness. So, general sweeping assumptions are really very rude and upsetting, and I thank those who have been chatty and friendly regarding our shared experience and welcome any insights into my glaring stupidity today, are we not all here to share and get through this and not to criticize others performance?
  • jkc
    jkc Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    i agree some of the statements are rude and upsetting. the comments basically are correct however a little arrogant and with out empathy. most of the posts in the origional thread for ecr (removed)were saying the paper was tough, compare that with the FRA thread today. people who found it easy and were pleased were in the minority. thanks jackie for your kind words
  • Diannew
    Options
    Thank you A Vic, you have to adopt a positive and honest attititude in life otherwise you end up wasting it being critical and bitter............

Time to look to the future.......Prezzies, sherry, mince pies and a well earned break from work.

Oooooh and all those fantastic christmas cd's they paly in all the shops LOL

"Christmas time, mistletoe and wine........"
  • KellyG
    KellyG Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    These forums are here for students to help eachother and support eachother through what can be very stressful times.
    I feel that Talinka's initial post was, on this occasion, badly timed.
    After the 200 odd posts from people feeling very upset after leaving their exam, to read an email basically saying either you didn't study hard enough or you probably shouldn't be studying accountancy was badly timed and clearly not thought out.
    I know we are all entitled to our own opinions, but there are times, I believe, they are best kept to yourselves.
    We are here to support eachother not kick people when they are already pretty much down there!
    Everyone who sat the ECR exam on Monday - I have my fingers crossed for all of us, it wasn't easy and after breezing FRA in June I was shocked how much I struggled with ECR. Everyone will have parts which they struggle with but the main thing is that you stick at it and dont give up!
    Think of it this way, if you do have to resit, all the extra studying you will do will probably give you more knowledge in that area than the people who passed first time!
    Good luck everyone!
    Kelly x :thumbup1:
    P.S. Sorry Talinka if I may have spelled your name incorrectly... the red mist in front of my eyes is obscuring my view! :lol:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Thank you A Vic, you have to adopt a positive and honest attititude in life otherwise you end up wasting it being critical and bitter............

Time to look to the future.......Prezzies, sherry, mince pies and a well earned break from work.

Oooooh and all those fantastic christmas cd's they paly in all the shops LOL

"Christmas time, mistletoe and wine........"

dont forget me santa vic lol
  • Diannew
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    dont forget me santa vic lol

I would never forget you...mince pie and glass of sherry will be ready at the bottom of the chimney...and some carrots for the reindeers:001_tt2:

Or maybe..you look like a hip hop Santa...........Alcho pop & packet of crips sought of Santa.................:lol:

Hope your reindeers are run on economic fuels...................tax deductable
  • A-Vic
    Options
    I would never forget you...mince pie and glass of sherry will be ready at the bottom of the chimney...and some carrots for the reindeers:001_tt2:

Or maybe..you look like a hip hop Santa...........Alcho pop & packet of crips sought of Santa.................:lol:

Hope your reindeers are run on economic fuels...................tax deductable

Lmao

1 Always hiphop santa but double vodka redbull and packet cheese wotsits please.

2 Fairy Dust is zero rated so no VAT redused for me, however with the minuim wage increase elfs are expensive so maybe a single vodka tar.

hehehe and hohoho :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Diannew
    Options
    Lmao

1 Always hiphop santa but double vodka redbull and packet cheese wotsits please.

2 Fairy Dust is zero rated so no VAT redused for me, however with the minuim wage increase elfs are expensive so maybe a single vodka tar.

hehehe and hohoho :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good morning Hip Hop,

I was just about to ask what LMAO mean't but thankfully worked it out:lol::lol: Just like a good Accountant...with a Pencil:001_tt2:

Have you finished with all your exams now..........hope you have..and you can have a great christmas...............:thumbup:.

My sack is so heavy this year....you will need more than a Red Bull and vodka to get it down my chimney..............:001_tt2:
  • laurad
    laurad Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    talinka wrote: »
    And I do not work in accounts. And never had.

well bully for you !!!
    perhaps you ought to try working in the profession and getting some experience along with your wonderful ability to study well before you go getting on your high horse !
  • gini76
    gini76 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    talinka wrote: »
    I don't understand it. It either students are exaggerating in a stress situation or they are simply not prepared well enough. Any exam is a test of a syllabus learnt!! It is not an adequate way of learning if same subjects would come up in the exams every year. Sometimes students retake the ECR exam 3 times, which I find ridiculous. And it's the time to take a step back and to think if AAT is really a qualification to pursue.
    AS for me I am a distance learning student. I started to study ECR in november (just one month before the exam) and I have a full time job. I finished todays exam in 1,5 hours. I do agree the paper was not straight forward, all what was needed however -attention to detail and common sense. English is not my native language but I haven't had any issues with the way tasks were set. That's my opinion anyway. Any comments are welcomed.

I have a 7 year old child 2 jobs and im a single parent. Ive spent a month studying for 3 to 4 hrs a day. I have 7 gcses inc maths english and IT all A and A* I have 2 Alevels at A and im doing my last exam PCR at technciain level. ( im just explaining so you know im not dumb)

I feel a bit put out by your comment. You are obviosuly at intermediate level which is easy when you get to technician level and u study hard for exams which when come out are totallly different to what you have studied for its annoying. You cant go by past papers but obviously they are there to help you. When an examiner decides he wants to change the whole payout of an exam after 10 years its annoying. Please mesg me when you get to technician level and tell me if you feel the same way.

by the way working in an accounting job wont help you with your AAT. Everything is manual when at work you are normally using computer software.
  • gini76
    Options
    jkc wrote: »
    admittedly there was an element of stress added to the problems
    of large class sizes and not good teaching. accounting may not be
    realistic for me as this exam has taught but the knowledge is still
    useful for those who wish to have their own business of any nature. I am afraid
    if i dont get through this level I will be denied the opportunity of continuing
    study to a level that is useful. exam certificates arn't every thing and even
    thou I failed, what i have learned from the aat is out of this world.

hey listen keep your chin up i also struggled and now im on my las tech exam.. You can do it just try work out things and understand them which is the most important thing
  • gini76
    Options
    Hello all,

perfectly explain ditto to your comments
  • A-Vic
    Options
    gini76 wrote: »
    by the way working in an accounting job wont help you with your AAT. Everything is manual when at work you are normally using computer software.

Hey can i pm you if i ever get to tec level :001_smile:

Like you i also have a number of GCSE's A-Levels (5 GCSE's 3 A-Levels taken all done in 18 months) as well as 2 NVQ's in accounts and computerised accounts. As staited before have worked for a chartered accountant for over 4 years and am not ashmed to admit i really struggled with the FRA and will prob have to re-sit in June, but thats not down to being lazy or not putting in the work at all, but like stated above you have an disadvantage while working in accountancy because you are used to working a certain way.

as for family aspect i have a teenager as well as also a full time demanding job but i wont used that as an excuse - as a matter of fact i have no excuses at all but if needed i will take it 20 times before a pass that wont stop me.

Gini like dianne you have a good outlook :001_smile:

Regards

Anne
  • laurad
    Options
    gini76 wrote: »

i disagree. my job has helped immensely with making sense of college work. esp as my boss is like a mentor to me. if working in accounts didnt help you with a WORK BASED nvq, id be slightly concerned !!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    laurad wrote: »
    i disagree. my job has helped immensely with making sense of college work. esp as my boss is like a mentor to me. if working in accounts didnt help you with a WORK BASED nvq, id be slightly concerned !!!

Am not doing worked based NVQ am taking deploma pathway
  • laurad
    Options
    Am not doing worked based NVQ am taking deploma pathway

fair enough. i still think work experience in the area you are studying for is defo an advantage but i appreciate the diploma is there for people in situations where that may not be possible :thumbup1:
  • Diannew
    Options
    Jingle Bells Jingle Bells Jingle all the way..............oh !what fun this thread would be......if critical angry people would just go away..................

Does it really matter who is taking what and who works where.....................we are all achievers in our own right, with all different experiences and struggles in life............

Well done every one who has or is still taking exams....this forum is here to help and support us..........please remeber that...........
  • laurad
    Options
    Jingle Bells Jingle Bells Jingle all the way..............oh !what fun this thread would be......if critical angry people would just go away..................

Does it really matter who is taking what and who works where.....................we are all achievers in our own right, with all different experiences and struggles in life............

Well done every one who has or is still taking exams....this forum is here to help and support us..........please remeber that...........

awww well done!!! must have taken you ages to think up that little jingle :001_rolleyes:
  • Diannew
    Options
    laurad wrote: »
    awww well done!!! must have taken you ages to think up that little jingle :001_rolleyes:

No....seconds.........even though I work full time in accounting, teach in the evenings, have two teenagers, 5 Gcs, and very nearly..........(if I can just pass PEV) AAT Qualified.............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for the well done...............see how happy you can make someone with a liitle praise...............:001_tt2:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    No....seconds.........even though I work full time in accounting, teach in the evenings, have two teenagers, 5 Gcs, and very nearly..........(if I can just pass PEV) AAT Qualified.............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for the well done...............see how happy you can make someone with a liitle praise...............:001_tt2:

Aww dianne that didnt ryhme how dissapointed i am now hehehe :lol:
Privacy Policy