Signed-off work, can i take exams?

chalkywhite71
chalkywhite71 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi, i have been signed off sick from work with stress, my doctor told me to "step back" from the cause of the stress, which is unfair treatment at work.

I am due to sit my Dec08 Personal Tax and IAS/DFS exams this coming week. Am i OK to attend this?

Some say it's at Manager's discretion, which is not going to be favourable, however my Company are paying for my AAT this year.

Yes, the exams are making me anxious like for everyone, but they are not the primary cause of my stress.

Any experiences welcomed. Thanks

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time at work chalkywhite71
    Am i OK to attend this?

Do you mean is it OK with AAT or your company? With your company it looks to me that you're between a rock and a hard place. Will they think you are skiving off work if you go for the exam or will they say you've wasted the money they have paid for your study if you don't ?

I don't think anyone can answer that question for you, have you tried contacting work? Or is that part of the problem, they don't sound very approachable.

My only experience of dealing with such stress at work to the extend it made me feel ill (I lost a stone in weight in a month) was quite different to yours. Once I got to work and had to deal with the situation I felt better, so the Doc didn't think it would help signing me off :confused1: All I can say is that eventually it will get better. In your shoes I would probably take the exams, surely that would show your company that you are dedicated. And if you pass, it will prove to yourself that you can cope, no matter how much stress you are under!

As ever, good luck in whatever you decide.
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I'd take them if I were you, if you feel able to do so. As Jan says its a bit of a rock and a hard place though. Good Luck!!
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Stress is a sickness??? :confused1:

Stress is a part of life and especially a part of work. How can you sign off due to stress? Unless thats a methaphor for something else...?

Anyway, none of my business, good luck to ya :001_smile:
  • Jan
    Stress is a sickness???

Mmm ... now do I waste my time by replying to that one? You probably also think depression is feeeling a bit sad.

If you are stressed out to the point you are physically sick and cannot swallow the food that is in your mouth, even though you are hungry, then yes it is an illness. Unless you've experienced it you'll not know how it feels - totally out of your control. I couldn't believe how I felt and I have been in some stressful situations at work before. (I was bullied at work for years, long before it was recognised as such) So a little compassion Mat wouldn't harm.

OK rant over! :001_tt2:
  • LondonMatt
    Jan wrote: ยป
    You probably also think depression is feeeling a bit sad.
    Lol, yeah I do, pretty much. People who are depressed just need to 'lighten up'.

Clearly, chalky just needs to 'chill out' a bit.

I think I should become a counsellor :)
  • Jan
    :001_tt2:

Ok Mat, I give up, I'm not going to rise to that one :lol:
  • LondonMatt
    Jan wrote: ยป
    Ok Mat, I give up, I'm not going to rise to that one :lol:

Well that's because you can't - must have something to do with women being the weaker sexโ€ฆ:cool2:

โ€ฆwot? wot? I ain't trolling, guv, 'onest... :001_tt2:
Privacy Policy