Two Ways of doing/learning the AAT ?

mug2k
mug2k Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
Hi

I'm currently at college studying the Foundation level of the AAT. We have to do alot of simulations and fillers (units that have nothing to do with accounting) e.g. health and safety. Am I only doing this 'extra' stuff because I've taken the college route ?.

If I decided to study at home would I only have to do the more relevant units ?. Someone in my class said our Foundation will come with NVQ's, is that usual ?.

Thanks,

Comments

• PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    I am studying AAT y distance learning and even though I have been involved in construction site health and safety training and setting up Health and Safety Plans and had just updated my HSE First Aid at Work certificate I still had to sit the Health and Safety simulation and the IT simulation as my NVQ level 2 was over two years old.

So you would have to do these 'extra' units as you call them which ever way you were studying.
  • mug2k
    PAMDILL wrote: »
    I am studying AAT y distance learning and even though I have been involved in construction site health and safety training and setting up Health and Safety Plans and had just updated my HSE First Aid at Work certificate I still had to sit the Health and Safety simulation and the IT simulation as my NVQ level 2 was over two years old.

So you would have to do these 'extra' units as you call them which ever way you were studying.

Hi

How do you get your work marked via distance learning ?. I'm thinking about trying to get a job rather than spending another year gaining the intermediate, does it cost much to take the distance learning route ?.

Thanks
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    You register with a training provider, their details can be found on the AAT website - I did not have much other choice as I stay in the sticks in Scotland.

I picked Kaplan as none of the others came back to me and they have a centre in Glasgow I can use for sitting my simulations and exams.

They work out roughly £199 per unit. I just do one or two at a time as that way I can afford it.

You work through the work book carrying out the exercise then mark them yourself with the answers at the back.

You can call them or email them with questions and when you sit your simulations they get sent away and marked at the main office in Leeds.
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    It is under £500 per year then you have to pay £30 for each simulation.

This varies depending on your course provider.

You send all work to them and it gets marked.
  • mug2k
    That's not too bad. It makes sense to me because I want to get some work asap and this way I can carry on my studying.

What are you guys studying at the moment, foundation ?
  • Lilyflower
    Lilyflower Registered Posts: 54 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi there Mug, just as a thought to you, but if the AAT qualification would help you in your current job, you can ask for your employer to sponsor you. If they agree to this, you will get the Foundation and Intermediate tuition provided to you for free, all you will have to pay is the student registration and exam fees. It may even be that your employer could pay these for you from the training budget that your employer should hold. Depends on the company though I'm afraid, but worth asking about. Employers usually like to support staff who are looking to advance themselves and add to the skills of the company.

Kaplan are excellent by the way :thumbup:, I am currently studying with them on a night course one eve a week.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • mug2k
    Thanks for the reply Lilyflower

I'm unemployed at the moment but if I do find work in accounting that is definitely an option I'd like to take up. Do I have much chance of getting an entry level job with just the Foundation qualification and a few Pitman certs ?

Thanks
  • Lilyflower
    There is a section on the AAT website where you can search for employment according to which level you are qualified to (foundation, Intermediate etc). I think it is in the ''employers'' tab. Then register as a candidate.

There are jobs for trainee accountants and AAT trainees.

Good luck on the job search

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    dont forget if you are under 25 you can get govenment funding for level two (foundation) and level three (intermediate - A-level equivilent) qualifications if you dont already hold anything at that level. Most training providers can arrange this for you.
  • mug2k
    Jon_1984 wrote: »
    dont forget if you are under 25 you can get govenment funding for level two (foundation) and level three (intermediate - A-level equivilent) qualifications if you dont already hold anything at that level. Most training providers can arrange this for you.

Darn my luck, I'm 28 :ohmy:
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    just seen comments on this topic "Can someone please provide advice on the AAT Accountancy Technician qualification?" that more responsible citizens:001_tt2: may be eligible for funding but I have no further info - it may be worth you taking a look?
  • Lilyflower
    Yep that'll be me!! I'm 28 and funded, check out the link to Kaplan I put on the other thread, they have info on their web site.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    PAMDILL wrote: »

Hi just to let you know unfortunatley you do have to as part of the units.

I had the same tutor take me for NVQ computerised accounts (sage) as took me 6 months later for AAT however i still had to sit the sage eliment to be able to pass unit 31 i know very fustrating.

Regards

Vic
Privacy Policy