New mip needing some advice please

Options
teakay25
teakay25 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi all,

I have recently been accepted as an MIP for bookkeeping, vat returns and payroll. I am planning to try and get some clients but still carry on with my permanent job until I can afford to give it up.

What I would like to know is how many of you do bookkeeping for clients but work from home rather than visiting the client and working on site? I am worrying because of the fact clients won't be able to get hold of me whilst I am at work.

And can anyone advise what kind of businesses I should be targeting so that I can do the bookkeeping work from home rather than onsite??

Any information would be fantastic :thumbup:

Comments

• Sevren
    Sevren Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I had the same worries when I started out. What I did was get a blackberry (£15 per month) to pick up emails and a BT phone line at home which allowed me to divert my calls to my mobile (can't remember the name of the package but it was about £40 per month)

How successful this arrangement is depends on your current working arrangments but I pulled this off for a good three years ! :thumbup1:
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Larger clients will want bookkeeping done in-house as they won't want to be posting their receipts, copy invoices, bank statements, credit card statements, expense claims et cetera through the post.

If you want to build up clients on the side then I would suggest targeting smaller, perhaps less established, businesses which are more likely to be happy to post off their records externally.

I always post my own records off to my bookkeeper (who is fantastic by the way!) and am very happy with this arrangement.

A blackberry is a handy option for keeping up with emails, although if you have unrestricted internet access at work, a free logmein.com account will allow you to access your own computer at home and easily check emails if you do not have a webmail facility.

If you have a BT landline then 'BT Call Sign' will give you a second business number to use with a separate ring tone to identify incoming calls as either business or personal. 'BT Divert' will allow you to divert incoming calls to any number you choose during the day.

Almost every non-BT landline provider has some form of divert function but I have not yet found any that has the equivalent of 'BT Call Sign'.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    although if you have unrestricted internet access at work, a free logmein.com account will allow you to access your own computer at home and easily check emails if you do not have a webmail facility.

Although i've had a webmail facility I haven't been able to respond directly. I've been after this facility for ages and tried all sorts! Windows remote desktop, DYNdns etc etc. Finally it works how I wanted it too! Could kiss you!! :001_wub::001_tt1:

Many many thanks Dean!

Regards

Dean
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Dean wrote: »
    Could kiss you!!

Yikes!! :scared:

Logmein is a life saver. I once locked myself out the house in the morning before sticking the laptop in the car. Luckily I used logmein at the clients premises to access all my data. Job done.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    In all seriousness, that has been a really big help to me. Fits my situation perfectly! I owe you a beer sometime! :001_smile:

Regards

Dean
Privacy Policy