CPD what is it

Options
Acesman
Acesman Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
All over the AAT web site is something about CPD,

Can anyone enlighten me as to what CPD stands for?

Comments

• speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    CPD stands for "Continuing Professional Development". What this means is that once you qualify you must keep your skills up to date by whatever means suits you.

I am a member in practice so I must do 2 cycles of CPD a year. Those who are not members in practice need only do 1 cycle A cycle covers the following stages:

Assess your needs and list the goals you want to achieve

Plan how you will achieve these goals

Action - this is doing your actual CPD

Evaluate what you have learnt and see whether or not your goals where achieved.

Many people think that CPD is going to be expensive, but I have done an absolute tonne of CPD so far or an extremely limited budget. This is because CPD can be done through any of the following ways (and this list is by no means exhaustive):

Going on courses.
    Going to seminars.
    Going to branch meetings (these are free and extremely valuable).
    Reading an article in a magazine or journal.
    Learning something new at work.
    Internet research.
    Further studying.
    etc.

The only limitations are that your CPD must relate to the work you do and your own imagination as to how you want to achieve your goals.

Another thing to think about when you do CPD is that many people think of it as a chore, but it isn't. Because you choose how you do your CPD, make it fun and interesting. I wanted to learn more about the UK banking system so rather than just reading about it, I took a day trip to the Bank of England's Museum. It was fascinating an I learnt a great deal. So enjoy your CPD when you are doing it.

I hope this helps. Give me a shout if you need to know anything else.

Speegs:thumbup1:
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    hi
    I was thinking the same thing then read this on the website
    The AAT’s continuing professional development (CPD)
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    speegs wrote: Β»
    CPD stands for "Continuing Professional Development". What this means is that once you qualify you must keep your skills up to date by whatever means suits you.

I am a member in practice so I must do 2 cycles of CPD a year. Those who are not members in practice need only do 1 cycle A cycle covers the following stages:

Assess your needs and list the goals you want to achieve

Plan how you will achieve these goals

Action - this is doing your actual CPD

Evaluate what you have learnt and see whether or not your goals where achieved.

Many people think that CPD is going to be expensive, but I have done an absolute tonne of CPD so far or an extremely limited budget. This is because CPD can be done through any of the following ways (and this list is by no means exhaustive):

Going on courses.
    Going to seminars.
    Going to branch meetings (these are free and extremely valuable).
    Reading an article in a magazine or journal.
    Learning something new at work.
    Internet research.
    Further studying.
    etc.

The only limitations are that your CPD must relate to the work you do and your own imagination as to how you want to achieve your goals.

Another thing to think about when you do CPD is that many people think of it as a chore, but it isn't. Because you choose how you do your CPD, make it fun and interesting. I wanted to learn more about the UK banking system so rather than just reading about it, I took a day trip to the Bank of England's Museum. It was fascinating an I learnt a great deal. So enjoy your CPD when you are doing it.

I hope this helps. Give me a shout if you need to know anything else.

Speegs:thumbup1:

Hey Speegs

I wanted to do a CPD course for Payroll loked all over the site if any available for Manchester area or if any held at all?
  • whos that girl
    whos that girl Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Acesman youll need to keep hold of this information too on CPD. itll come in handy as when you cover Professional Ethics Skills test this will be covered in the Professional and technical competence principle. just a handy tip.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Unfortunately I do not know if any payroll courses.

However, if you contact the Indicator series of magazines, they send out fantastic, informative magazines that are invaluable sources of CPD. I get the tax and the financial controller series from them. They are great. Check them out at http://www.indicator.co.uk/en/ They do magazine series covering:

Environment
    Health and Safety
    Internet
    Personnel
    Running a company
    Selling
    Tax

I have found that in every single issue I have received from them, there has been at least two articles relevant to my CPD requirements.

Speegs
  • tigerlilly
    tigerlilly Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    very good website, just briefly looked at it. thanks a lot for this info. it would come in handy. greatly appreciate it.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Must have missed this post thanks for the link speegs :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Privacy Policy