Branch meetings are invaluable.

speegs
speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
Hey all you students out there. Where are you all? I never see you at AAT Branch meetings, but I know you must exist as you are always chatting on the forums.

Well why not come and make some new friends and contacts at you local Branch meeting. The AAT has branch meetings all over the country and you can find your local branch at this link http://www.aat.org.uk/members/events/ .

I go to the Harrow branch and it is really interesting and good fun. It is not all just sitting around. Last night we had a speed reading evening. At the meetings you can also meet people like me who are willing to mentor students who don't feel they can, or want to, talk to their tutors.

So why not go along to your next branch meeting. By the way this is not an advert, I do not work for the AAT, but I have found the branch meetings to be so useful I wish I had attended them when I was a student. Oh and most importantly, they are free and at the Harrow branch they even feed you.

Bye for now.:thumbup1::thumbup:

Speegs

Comments

• lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I have a small problem with my local branch meeting, it's on the same night as my course, otherwise i'd be there in a shot, advise and contact with qualified AAT Technicians and an evening out, what more could you want?:laugh:
  • jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi Speegs,

I have thought about giving it a try but each time I have a look up my local branch they're not doing anything, or maybe not doing anything relevant to me, not sure now. Maybe I should look more often!
  • speegs
    Hi lessci

What a shame. The meetings are actually good fun (well the Harrow one's are anyway). Where are you based? Is there another branch you could get to on another night? I know that with the Harrow branch the meetings are not always on the same night so it is worth keeping an eye out incase the meeting night changes.

Speegs
  • speegs
    Hi Jilbo,

Sometimes the meetings may look a bit boring, but you could just turn up for the free grub and the chance to do some networking.

By the way, it is not just AAT members who go to the meetings. We also get ACAs ACCAs CIMAs and all sorts as the meetings are open to everyone.

Speegs
  • *Sarah*
    *Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi Speegs

I had never heard about these before but could get to Harrow so will have to look into this

Thanks

Sarah :001_smile:
  • speegs
    Great Sarah. Hopefully I will see you there then. Just get them to do a shout out for Speegs (or look for the hoodie) and I will introduce myself.

Speegs:thumbup:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Being in benighted Cornwall there is, of course, no local branch. I did enquire about getting involved with setting one up a few years ago but just got a 'we'll let you know' response from the AAT. The nearest branch to me is Plymouth which is a good hour and a half drive to get to from where I am making attendance unrealistic.
  • speegs
    Well that is just pants, isn't it? Maybe you could contact the Plymouth branch and see how they went about setting themselves up.:ohmy:
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Pretty much the same here in Scotland, none in Ayrshire - one on the rare occasion in Glasgow but again a very long trek at night and then trying to sort out parking etc. Would take me about a 2 to 3 hour round trip with some quite desolate bits.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Just found out they are running a Saturday morning event next month, I am trying to find a babysitter as I write this.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    i live out in germany so i cannot attend. if we ever move back to UK i will definately be attending the meetings.
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    speegs wrote: Β»
    Hi lessci

What a shame. The meetings are actually good fun (well the Harrow one's are anyway). Where are you based? Is there another branch you could get to on another night? I know that with the Harrow branch the meetings are not always on the same night so it is worth keeping an eye out incase the meeting night changes.

Speegs

Hopefully I should finish at college in June, so I'll be able to go then. I know that they're always on the same night because my lecturer bemoans the fact he can't go either.
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I've just emailed the Derby branch Secretary. I know the next meeting clashes with a lecture, but I think that lecture will be doing a mock unit 5 skills test, so I'm tempted to skip it. :001_unsure:
  • Lizzim
    Lizzim Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    My local branch is also over an hour away - I occasionally get postcards with upcoming events but they are never at convenient times :(
Privacy Policy