Potential first client and feeling scared

Options
axl2derv
axl2derv Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I've just had a voicemail from a guy who wants to talk to me about self employment and me being his accountant. Feeling very scared and excited at the same time. Just getting my info sorted before I call him back.

Any advice?

Thanks

Carl

Comments

• jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Congratulations Carl. Don't worry it gets easier with each new client.
  • axl2derv
    Options
    I think I have just lost my potential client. I sounded a bit vague as I was nervous. I came off a bit amatuer.
  • jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    You may not have how did he leave it?
  • axl2derv
    Options
    He said he would call back in a few weeks as he is going away.

He is basically wanting to work as a security guard and bill the company on a monthly basis. he thinks he will get ยฃ15-20k a year. He wants to claim milage aginst his income of 40p a mile as he will be traveling 300 miles to the job a few times a month. Can he do this as it is not directly linked to his job like a self employed courier?
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    What other travelling would he be doing other than to/from home?
  • pinksponk
    pinksponk Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Im inclined to think that if his normal place of work is from home, he could reasonably pay himself the travelling expense as he is going away from his normal place to do his work. The same as my place of work is my home but if I go out to meet a client a would pay myself the travel expense.

I would argue that your client's normal place of work is away from home and as you know you cant claim travelling to and from work expenses.

What do others think ??
  • axl2derv
    Options
    What other travelling would he be doing other than to/from home?

Well the travelling is not directly related to the job. His job involves walking around. It's just like me claiming my fuel to work and back against my PAYE which i can't see HMRC agreeing to. A taxi driver would claim his fuel as it is directly related to his job.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    But if he was contracting to several companies at different premises maybe he could claim mileage for travelling in between different sites?
  • axl2derv
    Options
    But if he was contracting to several companies at different premises maybe he could claim mileage for travelling in between different sites?

It's one company and one site only.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    The answer is no then.
  • axl2derv
    Options
    That was my argument, I knew the answer but the client thought he could as his other mates accountants did it. Sounds a bit creative to me.
Privacy Policy