Management Speak

Paul24
Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
Does anybody get sick and tired of the drivel that is management speak? I mean everyone occasionally slips something out, but i mean the people who go out of their way to use 'brent-isms'

This morning had a call from a colleague who proceeded to tell me me

"Just to touch base, Ive requested some information that I want to bounce off of you before sending it down the line"

:huh:

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Yes I hate it too, I have a colleague who says "in terms of" even when it doesn't make sense to say it and is forever saying "going forwards" another unnecessary phrase. We aren't going to draw up a budget to go backwards are we?:laugh:
  • Paul24
    "Steering the ship in the right direction"

"Drawing a line in the sand"

"Are we ready to push the button"

Amonst some of my 'favourites'
  • sarahwilson
    Lets put all our ducks in a row, thats another stupid one. I haven't got any ducks and even if I did I am too busy to try and line them up, unless they can do it themselves.
  • Paul24
    Lets put all our ducks in a row, thats another stupid one. I haven't got any ducks and even if I did I am too busy to try and line them up, unless they can do it themselves.

:001_tongue::001_tt2::001_tongue::001_tt2:
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    When I worked for a firm of septics, they had the best jargon ever!!! Yanks, eh?

Among them:

PONC (! Meant price of non conformance or what an error cost)

POC ( Price of conformance, i.e. cost of getting it right first time)

Copasetic. Sure. Jeez. And assorted americanisms said for effect . As this was in Ireland we always responded with, begob etc.
  • claire2609
    claire2609 Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Our management always give presentation on how important it is to cut costs (which we all do) But then stay at them most expensive Hotels or have Sales Meetings in our offices and order dinner for the 5000 - leaving us mere office workers @ our desks with our pack ups wondering why dont they cut costs and bring pack up!!!
  • sarahwilson
    Oh god don't get me started, I've seen more meetings, experts and god knows what else all costing or charging a fortune to tell us how to save money than can be legal!!
  • claire2609
    claire2609 Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Haha - I know! What you save from their suggestions JUST cover their fees!!

The thing that gets me is when the Sales Managers have finished with their sandwiches they bring the left overs round the office and say 'cant have any waste' then have a look on content on their faces like they have just feed some starving ophans!
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I did as my manager if they could go through one day without saying "thinking outsidke the box". They then had a meeting and apparently tried not to snigger everytime someone said it (one lady used it four times in two hours....:laugh:)
Privacy Policy