ACCA Exemptions?

axl2derv
axl2derv Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi,

I am interested in studying with the ACCA and would like to know what papers I am exempt from, as I will be AAT qualified shortly. I have completed Levels 2 & 3 under the old standards but the AAT have stated that these no longer count and that I would have had to complete them again. I have almost completed Level 4 and have been given exemptions from Levels 2 & 3 under the new standards. Below is a list of units I have taken. Does anybody know which exemptions I could have?

Unit 3 – Old Standards

Unit 5 – Old Standards
Unit 6 – Old Standards

Unit 8 – New Standards
Unit 9 – New Standards
Unit 10 – New Standards
Unit 11 – New Standards
Unit 15 – New Standards
Unit 17 – New Standards
Unit 22 – New Standards

Many thanks

Carl

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I've got exactly the same qualification history i.e. completed foundation and intermediate under old standards and technician under new standards.

You will get exemptions from F1, F2 and F3.

However you will not be able to do the self employment that you have been discussing recently (especially the tax returns part), you may need to change your thought processes as you willl not be able to use that self employment towards your membership even if you do what ACCA allows you to do (unless you can be signed off by a qualified accountant).

I'm ACCA qualified and I can do more with AAT rules than I can under ACCA without the elusive practicing certificate.
  • axl2derv
    I've got exactly the same qualification history i.e. completed foundation and intermediate under old standards and technician under new standards.

You will get exemptions from F1, F2 and F3.

However you will not be able to do the self employment that you have been discussing recently (especially the tax returns part), you may need to change your thought processes as you willl not be able to use that self employment towards your membership even if you do what ACCA allows you to do (unless you can be signed off by a qualified accountant).

I'm ACCA qualified and I can do more with AAT rules than I can under ACCA without the elusive practicing certificate.

I will have to do just bookkeeping. ACCA is a last resort for me as I want to do CIMA. I've just been made redundant so I might just have to go into practice if I can't find a job in industry.
  • Bluewednesday
    If you are studying off your own back, why don't you do CIMA then, if that's what you really want to do?
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Bluewednesday - and anyone else studying ACCA - have you become a MAAT or are/did you just wait to join ACCA? Hope you don't mind me asking I'm just not sure whether to become a full member of the AAT while I'm studying ACCA or just wait to become a member of the ACCA.

Thanks!
  • axl2derv
    You should do both. As long as you don't apply to be an MIP with the AAT, you will be fine with the ACCA and their membership.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    axl2derv wrote: »
    You should do both. As long as you don't apply to be an MIP with the AAT, you will be fine with the ACCA and their membership.

Can't you register as a MIP if you're studying ACCA? I know they will only let you do bookkeeping if you're self employed, but does that mean you have to do bookkeeping without the AAT behind you?
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Gem, as always you're quite correct. You can register as a member in practice with the AAT. To fulfil the ACCA student requirements you must not do anything beyond bookkeeping, vat and payroll.

Regards

Dean
  • Gem7321
    Thanks Dean. Phew!
  • axl2derv
    I never said it can't be done. I just said that it makes life easier if you don't. I'm sure the ACCA will be secretly investigating AAT MIP's to make sure that they are not doing more than bookkeeping, as it is very tempting to go further if you feel confident with it.
  • Dean
    As long as you don't apply to be an MIP

Sounds to me like you were saying you "can't".

Carl, your posts in this forum are quite laughable - you don't know whether you want a **** or hair-cut!

Regards

Dean
  • Gem7321
    As long as you don't apply to be an MIP with the AAT, you will be fine

That sounds to me like you can't :huh:

Edit: Dean beat me to it! Thanks
  • axl2derv
    As long as you don't apply to be an MIP with the AAT, you will be fine with the ACCA and their membership.

The emphasis is on the "you will be fine" bit. At no point did I say "You can't apply for membership if you are an AAT MIP". That is you making assumptions.

The point is that it is easier if you where not an AAT MIP as you are not subjected to questioning and investigation by the ACCA in the event you might be practicing more than bookkeeping.

Dean, you strike me as the kind of person who would interrupt a teacher correcting a student in class and take over in the correction being made by teacher. I’m sure Kaplan would be happy to take you on as an ACCA tutor.

This isn’t the first time you have followed me into a forum with the intent of trying to humiliate me. Fair enough there may be some posts which seem laughable but that’s just down to my inexperience. I am only 24 and happy to admit that.

I have noticed you have not declared your age on your profile which says to me that you are probably above 40. Now when I reach that age…eventually (seems a very long way away), we will have this conversation again. Difference is that by then, you will be sat back on your ACA qualification (which I would have achieved by the age of 27) and you will be calling me Doctor (PhD). You will probably have your own chartered practice which will probably be small but by 40, I’m sure I’ll probably be a CEO of some large firm.

To bring this to a point, you are quite happy to mock somebody who is currently less experienced than yourself even though you know this to be true. You don’t seem to realise that one day it is going to be the other way around but the difference is that I choose not be so callous as a person. I would be happy to correct errors than be so derogatory.
  • Bluewednesday
    Dean, you strike me as the kind of person who would interrupt a teacher correcting a student in class and take over in the correction being made by teacher. I’m sure Kaplan would be happy to take you on as an ACCA tutor.

This isn’t the first time you have followed me into a forum with the intent of trying to humiliate me. Fair enough there may be some posts which seem laughable but that’s just down to my inexperience. I am only 24 and happy to admit that.

I have noticed you have not declared your age on your profile which says to me that you are probably above 40. Now when I reach that age…eventually (seems a very long way away), we will have this conversation again. Difference is that by then, you will be sat back on your ACA qualification (which I would have achieved by the age of 27) and you will be calling me Doctor (PhD). You will probably have your own chartered practice which will probably be small but by 40, I’m sure I’ll probably be a CEO of some large firm.

I was just about to post backing you up, it may be difficult to stick to just bookkeeping as an MIP if you feel you can do more but this is a strict no no with ACCA which is what I presumed you meant. However posting this, when I believe you have run in with Dean Shepherd as much as you have Dean (I'm sure they're not the same person) who have both given you quite direct but full of wisdom advice.

Unfortunately this type of comment just shows your immaturity.
  • axl2derv
    Dean wrote: »
    Carl, your posts in this forum are quite laughable - you don't know whether you want a **** or hair-cut!

Regards

Dean

Blue,

Did you honestly expect me to sit and take a comment like that? You don't get more derogatory than this comment. Regardless of what he has said in the past, he was out of line and needed telling. Surely you cannot justify his comment nor can you honestly say that there was any room for that comment. You understood exactly what I was saying but he did not. When I tried to elaborate on my original comment, he chose to type what he did without justification.
  • Dean
    I'm not about to get into argument with you; I will say though, I have never once gone out of my way to 'follow you into forums', nor intended to 'humiliate' or 'mock' you.

You've been given informed advice from various members with regard to being a member in practice, attaining clients' etc. Then advice regarding CIMA, now ACCA next you'll be on to ATT/CTA. I suggest when you know what you want, make a decision, then come back and I’m sure people will continue to be helpful and supportive. Essentially, stop wasting our time! (Yes, another direct comment!)

Finally, if you really are that interested, I'm 26.

Regards

Dean

Edit: Please don't post rubbish in other people's threads.
  • axl2derv
    Dean,

As I have already stated, I post threads on here to gain advice from people that are more experienced than myself. I am thankful of previous advice given by yourself but when you start mocking my threads, that’s when you over step the mark.

Yes I am torn between CIMA and ACCA but that’s only due to my personal situation. If I had a position within practice as most people on here do, then the answer would be ACCA. As I don’t work for a company that funds CIMA, I am not particularly pushed into CIMA either.

I don’t see me as wasting peoples time as it is their choice to post a reply. I am not putting a gun to their head. I see nothing wrong with asking for advice of both qualifications and being torn between the two. It is not a light decision to be able to choose between both qualifications.

Edit: This is my thread.
  • Dean
  • axl2derv
    Fair enough, but I was annoyed with you.
Privacy Policy