My website!

Options
Gem7321
Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Could you do me a big favour? I've started designing my website and just want to know what you think.

www.busybooks.co.uk

Please be gentle, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this!

What's annoying me is that it doesn't fit the screen, to view the whole home page I have to scroll across and scroll down, does anyone know how I can put on automatic scaling so it will automatically fit everyones browser/resolution? I'm using serif webplusx2 for the design.

Thanks everyone
ยซ1

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Could you do me a big favour? I've started designing my website and just want to know what you think.

www.busybooks.co.uk

What's annoying me is that it doesn't fit the screen, to view the whole home page I have to scroll across and scroll down, does anyone know how I can put on automatic scaling so it will automatically fit everyones browser/resolution? I'm using serif webplusx2 for the design.

Thanks everyone

looking really good so far
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Thanks Vic!
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options

www.busybooks.co.uk

Thanks everyone
    I use Firefox and the left bar with home etc. on it is really fuzzy, hard to read
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Yeah I think that too, I think it's the blue glow around the text. I'll get on it. Thanks!
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

www.busybooks.co.uk

Thanks everyone

That looks great!!! my only note would be that I think the background needs to be a darker colour, as the colour of the words does not make them stand out .

Good luck
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    looks ok upto now...but fussy on the left !!
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Mark, what exactly is fussy about it?

Thanks
  • Diannew
    Options
    Mark, what exactly is fussy about it?

Thanks
    With his spelling he probably meant fuzzy.......
  • Gem7321
    Options
    K I've got rid of the blue glow and changed the over-colour, is it less fuzzy now?
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Looking better but I think Dianne's first point still is an issue RE the name - Busy is especially hard to see at first glance.
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Why don't you give CJ a shout, after all, it is his forte. Ask for pointers, don't let him take over...lol
    Looks good to me, though.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Thanks FG. I will do when he's back online, where is he when you need him?! :001_tongue:

The colour of the logo will take a while cos it needs photoshopping, thanks guys!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I think as others have said there's a few issues with colours to figure out, but overall it looks fine.

Getting everything working right on different sized displays - a so-called 'liquid layout' can sometimes be a bit tricky. Like most wysisygwen design software webplus is generating some pretty messy html which makes it hard to figure out exactly how it's working.

Anyway, if you need any help with design or photoshop I'll do my best - but as FG says don't let me take over as I have a tendency to do that :001_smile:
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    thanks gem... not!

Now you got me thinking about web-design again! I gave up last time after my HDD got fried and I lost it all. I might start up again.

As for your site so far....

I think the use of Cyan for text isn't a great choice, maybe another pastel blue rather than solid cyan?

Your frames are too high (top) and wide (left) - I think this is due to the "BBB" size?

As for the screen size, in your design program, I am assuming you have used a table to put the logo in?, and if you have, is the logo in a cell of its own and it it is, is the size of it pushing the table more to the right of the screen therefore forcing the users' screens to show this "empty space"?

Try adjusting the size of the logo, or indeed having it on a row on its own above the header frame, this should hopefully pull the table to fit the screen width.

I have never used serif - I always used Dreamweaver and Flash (though flash was always a b****d to work).
  • Diannew
    Options
    Buff wrote: ยป
    thanks gem... not!

Now you got me thinking about web-design again! I gave up last time after my HDD got fried and I lost it all. I might start up again.

I think the use of Cyan for text isn't a great choice, maybe another pastel blue rather than solid cyan?

Your frames are too high (top) and wide (left) - I think this is due to the "BBB" size?

As for the screen size, in your design program, I am assuming you have used a table to put the logo in?, and if you have, is the logo in a cell of its own and it it is, is the size of it pushing the table more to the right of the screen therefore forcing the users' screens to show this "empty space"?

Try adjusting the size of the logo, or indeed having it on a row on its own above the header frame, this should hopefully pull the table to fit the screen width.

I have never used serif - I always used Dreamweaver and Flash (though flash was always a b****d to work).

Goodness me I am in ore of you now...what a clever lettuce you are...very talented in many things I see:001_tt2:
  • Gem7321
    Options
    To be honest I'm tempted to start it again in Dreamweaver but I need a serial :mad:
  • Buff
    Options
    Yay, Chris!!!

Hows things!!!

Chris is an IT Expert!
  • Buff
    Options
    To be honest I'm tempted to start it again in Dreamweaver but I need a serial :mad:

HAHAHA, Don't make me laugh like that again....
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Buff wrote: ยป
    thanks gem... not!

Not bad for a bit of a cabbage lol :lol:
  • CJC
    Options
    I use Dreamweaver, but mostly just as an HTML editor. I like Flash but it does take a bit of getting used to, the Xmas card I did for you lot this year was done with Flash. Getting heavily into Flex at the moment but really more interested in getting my Java server-side programming skills up to speed right now.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    My website is down already. Should I be worried about this server? :confused1:
  • Gem7321
    Options
    What should the page size be to make it fit? Mines 1280 x 1024 pix
  • AdamR
    Options

I've got weetabix?:laugh:
  • Diannew
    Options
    AdamR wrote: ยป
    I've got weetabix?:laugh:
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • AdamR
    Options
    Oh no hang on I had the last of them this morning. Sorry!:blushing:
  • CJC
    Options
    What should the page size be to make it fit? Mines 1280 x 1024 pix

Try 100% for height and width.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    wheetabix and cheerio's !!!

thats the best..................well thats what my daughter has every morning ?
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi Gemma

When I set up my website, I decided it was best not to include too much as I looked at other websites for ideas and found when there was a lot on the page I found I was just scanning through & didn't read any of it properly.

My website is www.trimuk.net

Once you have set the website up set it as your homepage and click on it as much as possible, a couple of months ago I was on page 20 for a google search of 'Bookkeeper Dorset', I have now reached page 1.

Sue
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Something I noticed: there's a fair bit of blank space between the logo and the top menu item on the left. This is making me have to scroll to see the rest of the menu items, which I might miss.
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hello Gemma,
    Works in Firefox for me, looking good so far!
    I guess its a question of playing around with it all (design,colour,font type etc)and seeing what you like and what works.
    Good luck with it.
Privacy Policy