Advice wanted re jobs

Options
Kat
Kat Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
Hi everyone,

Wondered if anyone can give me some career advice. I am in my last year of AAT and have been working in accounts for 8 months at a manufacturing company (prior to this I was working in a totally unrelated field and it took a year and a half of job hunting, having no experience, to get a position that wasn't offering a measly £10K!)

I really wanted to get a job in an accounting firm and I still do. 1.5 years ago I mail-shot lots of firms and and got 1 interview - got through to 2nd stage but didn't get the job.
I signed up with every agency under the sun but they didn't find me anything.

Basically I'm planning to start job-hunting again for a position in a firm after I finish AAT and have then had 1 year's experience. I really want to go on to do ACCA. I have a degree but not finance-related and got a 2:2 not a 2:1 so don't qualify for any of the graduate schemes.

Can anyone advise me on the best course of action - I'm not going to give up!

Many thanks

Katherine.

Comments

• mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Katherine,

I began the AAT in Sept 2005 and have alomost completed it after a short break between studying.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with practical experience, although I'm not in paid work at the minute.

There is really no easy answer to your question. All I would say is keep an open mind about what area of accountancy you want to work in.

Practice is just one avenue because you could work in industry, the private sector or voluntary sector.

I'm personally involved with two voluntary sector organisations and starting to gain some very valuable experience.

Maybe you could consider becoming an MIP and start your own business? Just keep an open mind because practice accountancy appears to be a difficult route to go down unless you have experience or can join a graduate programme.

Good luck

Mark
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Sorry simular thread so pasted the link am a lazy typer

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=21420
Privacy Policy